Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bunch of hot air or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bunch of hot air or Not ?

Some may know of my combo But most do not, I decided early on to build a Full Size Suv and get the most all around usefull Hp available. I went with magnuson for there quality and reliability right out the box. This thread is not about who has what and what it does. It is about getting every usable pony out of what I bought.

So here is the package:

LSX 427, all forged internals,WCCH L92 heads and a cam to fit the build. Sitting on top TVS 2300 Jackshaft Version.

A recent trip to vegas From MN netted me 590 RWHP @ 10 psi. I felt that the 10-rib on the rear was slipping only allowing 10 psi, dealing with the extreme heat of the day made me start thinking of alternatives.

And here is what I came up with:

A spacer 1" thick to be exact. I originally figured this space to allow fitment for a taller more usefull injector for my power goals. Not really considering any other material other than aluminuim(ease of machining).

After Going thru some mock up stages. I realized not only could i gain space for the injectors but get the intercooler of the floor of the lower manifold hopefully creating a better flowing enviroment. Then a SMAcK of the HEAD, why not go old school and make the spacer out of PHENOLIC.?

This piece of heat absorbing/disapating material was placed between the upper and lower manifolds.

So i did! Realizing that I just Isolated all the key component's of the supercharger from the engine heat itself.

Initail testing is revealing intersting results, Now I am not an engineer nor do i pretend to be one so help me out if whenever possible.

I have an Omega lazer temp gun that i inherited several years ago. A simple test Pointing the lazer at key areas have shown temps being as much as 50* less between the two maniflods after driving it home from work.
See video:

Just that little test tells me the heat soak issue the blower has to overcome is now less.

Current road testing is also revealing that my IAT temps are starting off Much lower than the previous unaltered unit. I have never seen A HP tuners IAT gauge stay Blue for so long.

My boost level has changed since the dyno session in vegas, While having the blower out I changed the rear drive to a cog set-up and changed the forward pulley with a 3.0,that combination should net me somewhere @ 15 psi based on other exsisting set-ups( EPP TVS Hummer).

Well on a short burst I logged 205 kpa @4000 rpms. So far that is the highest logged, and have not attemped any further due to fueling issues i am working on at the moment.
My thoughts are that now i have givin the blower the opportunity to push cooler unrestricted air without having to deal with sharp 90* turns and pre-exsisting engine temps.

Look at the LS9 ZR1 they may not have used phenolic, But they sure did use their space well.The blower sits in the valley then into an above mounted intercooler then back down to the ports. plenty of space there Right?

Last edited by supersub; 10-30-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea and you did an awesome job with it! Let us know how it works too once you get your fuel issues resolved. Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

On to trans tables now. could not get it to shift into 3rd!

12.46 @ 99 mph decelling thru the traps.

Interesting results comming.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You greatly increased the plenum volume. Did you feel any penalty down low?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You greatly increased the plenum volume. Did you feel any penalty down low?
Yes! Now I have traction issue's Lol

go figure 6700 lbs....
Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

video of some temp readings first one is right after positioning the truck on the rollers PRIOR to the first pull, Also I drove the truck 15 miles to get there, No trailer used.

this one is after the first pull:

Iat with the best 714 Hp pull @ 129* on this video.

It was 18 min after the previous pull of 701hp

Quick Reply: Bunch of hot air or Not ?