Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec stage 3+ and stock flywheel????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec stage 3+ and stock flywheel????????

Well i just got a spec stage 3+ and a my stock flywheel resurfaced and balanced, i was fixing to install them and i was reading the instructions and it said that the clutch and flywheel should be balanced at the same time/together ? Also said that the flywheel is no good if it there has been .015 thickness taken off im not really sure how many times my flywheel has been resurfaced?
So my questions are:
1. Does anybody know what is the minimum thickness of the stock flywheel to be good and usable?
2. Do the flywheel and clutch need to be balanced together if the clutch and flywheel have been rebalanced separately?
3. Also if i end up having to buy a spec flywheel wont i have to get them balanced together or would i be good to go?
Thanks alot for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99CAMMEDSS
Well i just got a spec stage 3+ and a my stock flywheel resurfaced and balanced, i was fixing to install them and i was reading the instructions and it said that the clutch and flywheel should be balanced at the same time/together ? Also said that the flywheel is no good if it there has been .015 thickness taken off im not really sure how many times my flywheel has been resurfaced?
So my questions are:
1. Does anybody know what is the minimum thickness of the stock flywheel to be good and usable?
2. Do the flywheel and clutch need to be balanced together if the clutch and flywheel have been rebalanced separately?
3. Also if i end up having to buy a spec flywheel wont i have to get them balanced together or would i be good to go?
Thanks alot for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, flywheel is "zero" balance, you are good to go there. I really do not like turned down fly's myself, and if using a stage 3 clutch, then you are problay gonna be dropping some HP to it. I wouldn't use it, but that is my .02. Can you? Sure. Would I? No.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Well would i be ok if i got a new stock flywheel from the local auto store or should i spend an extra 120 or so to get the spec billet steel flywheel?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

You would be better off putting a new flywheel in the car (stock or otherwise) because if too much material is removed from the original the clutches ability release will be affected. The stock flywheel has a starting thickness of .820" and if your current thickness is less than .805 then it is technically too thin. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot for the replies guys yall definatly answered my questions, i measured the thickness last night and it was somewhere around .7XX, so im gonna buy a new one.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99CAMMEDSS
Well would i be ok if i got a new stock flywheel from the local auto store or should i spend an extra 120 or so to get the spec billet steel flywheel?

Either or....but, with your new Spec 3 clutch, would go with their flywheel. Not that there is anything wrong with new stock flywheel, BUT, I do like to have matching parts....I am sure Spec01 agrees with ME on this

Edit: Oh also....not sure on Spec flys since I sell Monster (obviosly), but maybe the Spec is even SFI certified???

Quick Reply: Spec stage 3+ and stock flywheel????????