Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What is the best to do first, motor or the FI setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best to do first, motor or the FI setup?

First off, right now i have nothing but my car ( bone stock 1998 longblock ) a set of untouched 706's, and a healthy paycheck.

I want to go FI because ive never had a boosted car before and ive never been to a single digit ET. at this point, because it will remain a street car ( "street car" used pretty loosely, just needs to stay legal and streetable) for now, im leaning towards a single frontmount turbo.

My questions are these:

Should i build the motor first or the FI setup??
If i build the FI first will i have to change it all after the motor?

the motor built will probably be a alum 6.0 or 6.2 with either reg 6.0 or L92 heads and knowing how we build motors itall be pretty wicked. The turbo will prob be 70 to 76mm with turbo headers ( live in houston, ac is a must )

like i said, ive got nothing at the moment so everything is subject to change, and everything will be very well researched and though out, just looking for opinions. Im just getting done with the drivetrain in prep for this so im like a month away from starting to compile parts.

Last edited by CarsandWomen; 10-14-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

and if any of yall have parts i may need or be interested in feel free to post or pm. Im open to builds on paper too.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i personally havent seen that many cars that retain the a/c. i seen a few on here but i know the compressor must get VERY hot. id do the turbo setup first, for the turbo id go with a 76 or maybe larger if going with anything bigger in ci than a stock 6.0. the lq4 6.0 would be in my oppinion your best stock boost motor. just make sure you replace the rod bolts and use studs. i made the mistake of using bolts and lifted a head.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

all hot side parts will be polydyn coated, motor will be fully built- stock block and maybe stock crank, thats where the "stock" part of things will end.

i am open to SC too, nothing is out of the question right now.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have several good choices bro. I bought a kit from KYTP and haven't looked back yet... and the kit isn't on the car yet lol. Procharger would require "less work", but I'm a little biased to the turbo scene because I love the performance and sound. Getting a motor built could be done later, that's what I did... Made just a little over 500rwhp with an STS kit, then tore it all down, ordered a "boost" 370 from speedinc and a KYTP kit with a TC78 and now I'm building the WHOLE car lol. I'm also doing a tranny swap from T56 to TH400
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Turbo First, since your looking at building a new motor anywayz. i say boost the stocker to around 500 whp and build your new motor on a stand. this way you can still feel like you have accomplished something. and not dragged down by the build time length. thats my plan anywayz.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the motor will be built by me since i work part time for a performance engine builder. the FI setup will prob be built by me too, since im a welder for the weekly 40 ( more like 60 but whos counting )

Theres 2 things that worry me about doing the turbo first. A i might have to re-do it all after the motor with bigger flanges and piping and that would suck to build it twice.
B ive got a 98, which means engineering flaw oiling in the block, weaker rod bolts, and a few other little tid bits. so im a little worryd ill smoke this motor before the next is built and be up a creek.

Im personnally thinking like JAX04, but i also want the benefit of yalls expireance. that and i just found a decent t3/t4 hybrid, a Super T70.

T70 Wet Floating Bearings Turbocharger!!
Oil Cool
CNC Machined Flanges 4Bolt T3 Type Design to fit most After market Mainfolds.
25 to 35 Psi Peak Power Performance Output Capability.
Designed for External Wastegate Applictions only
Compressor Specs:
4" Compressor Inlet
2.077" or 52.77mm Inducer
3.000" or 76.20mm Major
2.5" Compressor Outlet
Compressor .70 A.R.
Compressor 75 Trim
6 Blade Propeller Type
M14 Compressor Housing
Turbine Specs:
T4 Type Turbine
T3 4 Bolt Flange
58.18mm Exducer
Turbine .84 A.R.
Turbine 60 Trim
2.900" or 73.66mm Major

It also has split feed
what do yall think? its brand new, not far from me, but im thinkin it may be too small for the new motor. id kinda like to build the FI setup once but if i can build it pipes wise for the new motor with say a small turbo with big flange then upgrade the turbo with the motor to bigger turbo same flange that would be sweet. im just gettin in to turbos so...........

Last edited by CarsandWomen; 10-15-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

I think the first question here is... What are your power goals? With Turbo stuff its best to have a power goal in mind, and then size everything off of that...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont have anything to add, just want to subscribe to this thread to follow the build because I am wanting to do something similar. Leaning more towards a turbo myself. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
Dont have anything to add, just want to subscribe to this thread to follow the build because I am wanting to do something similar. Leaning more towards a turbo myself. Good luck.
thanks, with any luck i can keep a good steady pace lol

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
I think the first question here is... What are your power goals? With Turbo stuff its best to have a power goal in mind, and then size everything off of that...
power goals, hmmmmm. well i start by saying my converter is rated at 800whp, and my tranny is 700whp. not installed yet is a Moser 12 bolt, and ill be getting a new DS obviously.

The trans is a Performabuilt lvl 2. 700whp just wont do it for me so ill prob have Performabuilt or Circle D get in it for some upgrades sometime soon, and the converter is a Circle D stage 2 2C/3C so ill prob have it upgraded at the same time.

So i guess my answer to that is ill build the whole thing for, or easily upgradeable, to at least 800hp.
Now to me "easily upgradeable" means turn up the boost or replace the turbo with a larger one. Having the ability to fabricate my own stuff means i can pretty much do what i want but id rather build the whole system once. if i have to do it twice i wont cry though

oh and ive come to the conclusion that the previously stated turbo wont work because its got t3 flanges on it. so ill look for a t4, then later i can upgrade to a t4/t5 hybrid if need be?

feel free to correct me if im wrong, thats what this thread is for. thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

t5? ... I think you should deff shoot bigger turbo, t4 at the min. might just change the hot side housing for faster spool now and higher spool later vs buying 2 turbos.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
t5? ... I think you should deff shoot bigger turbo, t4 at the min. might just change the hot side housing for faster spool now and higher spool later vs buying 2 turbos.
Yea, I agree...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
thanks, with any luck i can keep a good steady pace lol

power goals, hmmmmm. well i start by saying my converter is rated at 800whp, and my tranny is 700whp. not installed yet is a Moser 12 bolt, and ill be getting a new DS obviously.

The trans is a Performabuilt lvl 2. 700whp just wont do it for me so ill prob have Performabuilt or Circle D get in it for some upgrades sometime soon, and the converter is a Circle D stage 2 2C/3C so ill prob have it upgraded at the same time.

So i guess my answer to that is ill build the whole thing for, or easily upgradeable, to at least 800hp.
Now to me "easily upgradeable" means turn up the boost or replace the turbo with a larger one. Having the ability to fabricate my own stuff means i can pretty much do what i want but id rather build the whole system once. if i have to do it twice i wont cry though

oh and ive come to the conclusion that the previously stated turbo wont work because its got t3 flanges on it. so ill look for a t4, then later i can upgrade to a t4/t5 hybrid if need be?

feel free to correct me if im wrong, thats what this thread is for. thanks guys!
Sooo what are your power goals?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a large ci engine with stout heads will make for strong runner.
and will allow the use of a/c. and will be cheaper to build than fi engine.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Sooo what are your power goals?
Seems like he is leaning toward 800 as the final number with this statement...

"So i guess my answer to that is ill build the whole thing for, or easily upgradeable, to at least 800hp."
Old 10-17-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Seems like he is leaning toward 800 as the final number with this statement...

"So i guess my answer to that is ill build the whole thing for, or easily upgradeable, to at least 800hp."
thanks for that lol

Originally Posted by NemeSS
a large ci engine with stout heads will make for strong runner.
and will allow the use of a/c. and will be cheaper to build than fi engine.
yes, you are very correct. Unfourtunately being that i help build motors for race cars regularly, ( bombers, ASCS Sprints, UMP Modifyds, Pro Mods, etc ) all motor just seems too easy......
that sounds weird even to me im just trying to do something a little different than years past. something fun and different i guess.

the plan through building the rest of the car was for an all motor setup. thats been that way for like a year, ive recently changed my mind for something a little more challenging. building a turbo motor remains relativly easy but the turbo setup in the car is a different story, especially a street car.

Not to mention, im not building "another motor" im building a full single front mount turbo setup for my camaro. I think i just need to quit screwing around and build a race car of my own instead of everybody else's.....
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

especially since you can fab your own stuff, id go for the engine first if your at all worried about your stock engine not being up to par. build the engine to handle what you want, then build the turbo setup to support it. i have found its always easier to put the turbo setup on hold then having a blown motor and having to build it when money is dried up becuase you spent it on the turbo stuff. just IMHO of course.
you mention ET's in your first post. id use that number for your goal instead of power, not saying you cant figure ET's from power but ive seen too many 700+rwhp cars run 11's to put much stock it in.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Default heres my setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...old-build.html

The only thing u would have too do for ac is use a c6 manifold.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

i love the stance of you camaro on the prostars whats your suspension setup? sorry no help on the tubo build but i would go procharger for less problems. do a 402 w/ a f1 head unit

edit: im going to say more simplicity and less potential problems before the turbo guys get offended

Last edited by airforcemanss; 10-17-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
i love the stance of you camaro on the prostars whats your suspension setup? sorry no help on the tubo build but i would go procharger for less problems. do a 402 w/ a f1 head unit
in that picture the prostars are 15x4 with Khumo's and 15x8 with MT ET Drags, 26x8's. rears have a 1 inch spacer fronts are 5/16. stock springs, lca's, shocks, etc. Coleman PHB

bumping this TTT because i just made a new purchase
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...tegate-fs.html