Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

F-Body tubular K-Frame mounting bolt rust & rot

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default F-Body tubular K-Frame mounting bolt rust & rot

There is no chassis specific forum so I’ll try this here.

While parting out my 1994 Firebird, I’ve removed the aftermarket tubular K-Frame. While removing the four forward 18mm chassis bolts through the tube-like mounting flanges on the K-Frame (brand won’t matter here as they all use the same mounting scheme) water came out. All four mounts had water captured inside and the bolts were all immersed in this water. The nature of the design allows water in the top but with nowhere to escape. The bolts all show some rust and deterioration, it attacks the exposed threads in the root first. The bolt shown is the worst of the four but they all show deterioration. Obviously, nobody would use bolts in this condition and, at least I, would not want to think that such important fasteners could get in this condition on a car I’m driving around.

I’ve picked up a used K-Frame for my 99 and the same mounting points show that there was water sitting in them also.

First, how long would it take for the bolts to deteriorate to dangerous levels? This K-Frame was installed in a daily driver for about a year and a half.

Second, if the bolts were to be compromised, can they break causing a loose chassis?

Third, aside from occasionally pulling the bolts out for draining and inspection, what can be done to get the water out?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st, I don't know, quite a while I'd assume.

2nd, Sure they can break, but here again, I think it would take some time for that to happen.

3rd, You'd have a couple options. Find where the water is coming in at and seal it, or you could coat the bolt in a waterproof lubricant. The bolt will still rust eventually but this will delay it. If you're that worried about it I would really just find where the water is coming in at and seal it off...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first; that would depend on climate and how often it got wet

second; yes all your torque energy is pushed throught your chassis

third; drill a small hole on each side of each
mounting point very small holes.

i suggest you replce them with new ones.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could get an appoxy sealing compound and apply it to the bolts after the k-member is installed. that would keep water from getting in there to begin with. do all the bolts look like this or is it just a few of them? since the k-member bolts go throught the bottom first, applying a sealing compound could be a PITA, but no more than removing your k-member once a year to drain water.

Could you drill some small holes in the k-member to allow the water to get out from the bottom?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

first; that would depend on climate and how often it got wet

second; yes all your torque energy is pushed throught your chassis

third; drill a small hole on each side of each
mounting point very small holes.

i suggest you replce them with new ones
Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

These bolts thread into captivated nuts in the chassis that really can't be accessed to seal them off. I was also thinking of drilling a few small holes in the bottom of the K-Frame bolt flange/tubes to allow water to drain out. I'm gonna order new bolts if the ones in the '99 look bad. I was also gonna find a tube of disc brake grease (as it's super sticky and being high temperature, will never drip off) and coat the bolts to protect them from the elements.

One of the reasons I posted this was to make others aware that, what I think in extreme circumstances, can be very dangerous. In a daily driver with a tubular K-Frame in a bad weather area, standing water around these bolts might rot them to almost nothing. Add some road salt to the equation.

Quick Reply: F-Body tubular K-Frame mounting bolt rust & rot