Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help me build a rear!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me build a rear!

its time for a 9 inch in about a month or two. im confused on everything like spline and spools. my mods are in sigs plus im going to be spraying a 150 shot if that matters. can someone help me in what options i need for the rear and help explain everything to me. also who has the best rears at the cheapest prices? thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

The more splines, the stronger the axle. 35 spline axles will handle just about anything you're going to send their way.

A spool locks both axles together, all the time. It is the cheapest way to go, and is the strongest, but for a lot of street drivers they would not find a spool to be tolerable. Why? Think of what your tires do when you turn a corner, the outer tire needs to turn more revolutions than the inner tire. If it can't, they squirm and are forced to turn whether they want to or not. Usually this just results in accelerated tire wear. Most of my driving is rural and highway, so I can drive a car with a spool and hardly ever notice it.

I use to highly recommend the Eaton (use to be Detroit) Truetrac for up to 600 rwhp, but lately I have been having customers with some problems with them. I'm not sure if Eaton made some changes for the worse when they bought them out, but I never had any problems with the Truetrac until this year. They still have a good track record, but I wouldn't recommend one if you're going to spray nitrous. The Truetrac can only be had with 28 or 31 spline axles.

The locker is a very strong unit that can handle a lot of power. It isn't much more than a Truetrac and can be had with 35 spline axles. It does have some negatives to it though. The locker can cause the back of the car to wiggle around when you let off the gas, as it doesn't always unlock each axle at the same time. It doesn't happen with every car, but I've driven one that did. I remember that I got out of the car and made sure the rear was still bolted in, it felt that strange. If you get a good one if will do everything you want it to.

The Wavetrac is relatively new and is more ($460 more) expensive, but it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. 35 spline axles can be had with it, and so far I haven't hear anything bad about it.

Hopefully this helps. Here is a link with a lot of information. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

call moser or strange...personally i would go with a fab 9" or a strange SD60...i bought a moser 12 bolt because i didnt want to sit around and wait 5 weeks for a damn SD60...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

say i buy the housing now and the center section a little later on. how hard is it to put the center section in the housing? does anything need to be measured or its just a put it and bolt on? also would i need to weld any brakets on the housing? or it would still be a bolt right into my car? what is the difference between 3 channel and 4 channel? which would i need?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Center section will bolt right in, but the thing is SUPER heavy.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 channel is for cars with no traction control. 4 channel is for cars with Traction control.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for everyones help. so would i need to weld brakets to the housing? or would i be fine if im using all stock suspension parts etc. i see that if i buy a rear all togther it has some bracket options but not sure if i would need to weld the brackets if i buy just the housing?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 00 black ss
thanks for everyones help. so would i need to weld brakets to the housing? or would i be fine if im using all stock suspension parts etc. i see that if i buy a rear all togther it has some bracket options but not sure if i would need to weld the brackets if i buy just the housing?
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116

The above link is the best and easiest way to go in my opinion. Bob
Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116

The above link is the best and easiest way to go in my opinion. Bob

thanks that is exactly what i was looking for. i didnt see it on your site. will deffinately be ordering shortly.