Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to boost my 402

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to boost my 402

I just recently bought a 99 SS that was setup for boost. The previous owner even had a PTK kit with a T76 on the car, but never started. Needed money so he sold the kit and I bought the car. Here is a quick break down of it

402 iron block 9.2:1
AFR 225
238/242 .618 .620 114
fast 90
Stage 4+ T56 from Six Speeds Inc
Moser 9" 3.70 gears
Racetronix fuel pump with Nasty fuel rails

Basically all I need is a turbo kit (or supercharger), bigger injectors and fuel lines and I should be set to go.

So with that being said, I am on a budget, I know its hard to do FI while on a budget but most of the car is done. I understand I can't skimp on anything, but for instance I am not going to take it to some amazing shop to get a one off twin turbo kit built that will cost 20k. I understand it will cost a lot, but I want to keep costs as low as possible, I will buy piece by piece each week/month if I have to.

A lot of kits I have seen seem to be for more stockish cube motors. Since I have a 402, the kits out there are limited. I am really leaning towards a truck manifold kit given the price is a lot cheaper. I am waiting to see if Modular Turbo is building a truck manifold kit.

My goals would be to hit 9s and 150mph with the 6 speed, 800rwhp on pump, 1000rwhp on meth, but most important is to just get the car boosted, it won't be the end of the world if I don't hit those goals just yet (maybe later down the road). I am guessing a T88 would be best? What about a BW S480? I can't just throw boost at the car with a tune, what ECM stuff do I also need with boost? I know the mechanics of it (except the oil cooling the turbo part) just not the electronics side. I have also considered going the supercharger route since I have kooks 1 7/8 headers and I can just keep my AC, F1 would be best, but pricey, might be cheaper with a truck turbo kit.

Any recommendations are appreciated given my car/specs, budget and potential goals.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas/suggestions? I am really leaning towards a truck manifold kit, what size turbo (mm & A/R) wastegate etc?