Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

preload issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preload issue...

i am setting pinion bearing preload and i compress the crush sleeve a bit and when i spin the pinion it has a bit of a hang up and gets tight in one area and then frees up in another and it continues hanging up and then getting free..i am stumped to why it would hang up, all the bearings are new and seeded ok...anyone body have an insight on this delema??

i appreciate your time!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eleet_pga
i am setting pinion bearing preload and i compress the crush sleeve a bit and when i spin the pinion it has a bit of a hang up and gets tight in one area and then frees up in another and it continues hanging up and then getting free..i am stumped to why it would hang up, all the bearings are new and seeded ok...anyone body have an insight on this delema??

i appreciate your time!!!
What brand of bearings and how much preload?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

pimken bearings and there was none or little preload (1 newton meter)
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Did you oil the new bearings up good? You need them oiled up and set preload to 20-25 inch/pounds with a beam or dial type torque wrench. Then check how the pinion rotates. Also, did you install new races in the housing? They could possibly not be seated all the way.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default preload

I have the opposite problem, I put in new races and bearings when I compress the crush sleeve I still have play in the pinion gear.

It rotates fine but doesn't seem like it's seated properly. How much effort did it take to compress the crush sleeve? It's a 10 bolt posi unit from a blazer.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

I did put new races in the housing and i did oil the bearings up ( i didnt put a lot of oil on them but enough that they were lubed up decently) Ive gone through 2 crush sleeves so far, the first 2 crush sleeves i torqued them down to much but i had no hang up but just to much preload so i bought new ones from a local parts store and now i am getting the hang up...im thinking it has to be either something with the bearings being messed up or not seated correctly..
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default crush sleeve

I just took mine back apart and it dosen't look like the crush sleeve was even crushed? I'm not sure how much torque it takes but I had a 1/2 breaker bar on it and didn't seem like it would turn anymore? Maybe I need to put some more torque on it?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Some crush sleeves my impact will crush. Others it won't. If it won't, then I get the socket on a 24 inch breaker bar and have some else put a prybar in the yoke to hold it. Some of the crush sleeves can be a bitch to crush.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

It takes a lot of power to compress the crush sleeve. u will definatly need the breaker bar and a can of spinach to crush it!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it something like 400 ft lbs of torque to crush one? Not sure but that's a lot of torque. I went with the solid spacer and it was much easier than I thought it would be and I didn't have to mess with over torquing...