Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-ballooning plate question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anti-ballooning plate question

Anybody know what would or could happen if you launch a car on spray with no ballooning plate on the convertor?

The reason I ask is because I have developed a trans fluid leak. I have a FLT-IV 4L60E. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but ever since I put the trans in the car, (a couple years ago, but trans only has a few thousand miles on it now) the trans dipstick blows out a couple inches occasionally, not all the time. The last time I went to the track, which was a couple months ago, I got a little over-zealous at trying to run a best-ever time, and decided to try launching on the spray. I just recently noticed the leak, and when I checked the fluid level, it's about a quart low. The leak is a steady drip, coming from the front somewhere. We put the car on the lift at my friends work and removed the torque convertor shield, but we really couldn't tell where it's coming from. The trans is going to have to come out, but I don't have a lot of money right now to fix anything. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anti balloon plates have been associated with nitrous for a while now. They are used to reinforce the stock parts, to keep them from flexing from the higher RPM and Power. A converter does not know it is nitrous, just sees a fast increase in HP. A good performance converter will have a billet front so it basically has a built in balloon plate. It is possible to flex the converter and cause a crack, seen it a few times. But it was on a converter built to handle maybe 4-500 HP on a 1000HP application. If you are just spraying 150 or so, probably not the problem.

Chris
Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if it makes any difference, the convertor is a TCI Super Streetfighter 3600. I got a good deal on it, and I didn't know until after I installed it that they aren't very good convertors. I'm sure it's the blame for my less than desirable ET's too... I now trap lower with my 355 and cam than I did with a stock engine
Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The TCI does not use a billet front and I don't think they even use a balloon plate. It might have flexed a little and caused a crack. Could also just be a front seal or something. Good luck and let us know what you find when you get it out.

Chris
Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

My TCI SSF 4200 has a anti-ballooning plate. But mine is a newer LS1 version. The only way to get billet front cover from them is to have it custom built. Don't know about the LT1 converters though.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'll post up an update when I figure out the problem. May not be until spring though
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

You most likely have a crack. That would explain the leak. Likely not the seal if you put a new one in at time of install. TCI is a cheap converter anyway. Put it out with the trash.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Consistent leaks are almost always a crack in the converter. Seals tend to leak more or less depending on things such as ambient temp, rate of contraction, and material of the seal being affected by heat as it heats up. My money is on a crack for sure if it always leaks consistently at the same rate.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy ****, this thread is 3 years old!

It ended up being cracked 3/4 the way around the pump drive, and has since been replaced with a Yank SS3600

Quick Reply: Anti-ballooning plate question