Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Forged 347 LS1 H/C Needs a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Forged 347 LS1 H/C Needs a Tune?

I just got the new motor in a couple weeks ago and it runs good but the damn thing is undriveable! It's still on the factory tune and it rarely idles. I'm still running the factory lid/exhaust manifolds/cat-back too. I tried to drive it for the first time and I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it going and ride the hell out of the clutch. It bucks and surges like crazy at anything under 2k rpms, haven't even got it out of first gear yet. I had the same head/cam combo on it on the stock 72k mile short block and it ran just fine, idled good and I don't remember any real bucking or surging but I also removed all of the smog stuff and the AC so could that have anything to do with it? I bought HP Tuners last year and I still haven't used it but I was going to hook it up to see if I could delete the smog codes to see if that would help at all with the dying. The cams a 230/234 .598/.612 on a 113 LSA so it's nothing too crazy. Basically, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good honest tuner in the OC/LA area? My concern is that it's a new engine and it's not even close to being broken in yet but it's just impossible to go out and try to put a good 400-500 miles on the thing as it sits. I've been reading horror stories of people spending $500 bucks on a reputable tuner and still having their car run like **** and I'm a broke *** college student that works at a grocery store so I don't want to **** my money away.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wesfresh
I just got the new motor in a couple weeks ago and it runs good but the damn thing is undriveable! It's still on the factory tune and it rarely idles. I'm still running the factory lid/exhaust manifolds/cat-back too. I tried to drive it for the first time and I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it going and ride the hell out of the clutch. It bucks and surges like crazy at anything under 2k rpms, haven't even got it out of first gear yet. I had the same head/cam combo on it on the stock 72k mile short block and it ran just fine, idled good and I don't remember any real bucking or surging but I also removed all of the smog stuff and the AC so could that have anything to do with it? I bought HP Tuners last year and I still haven't used it but I was going to hook it up to see if I could delete the smog codes to see if that would help at all with the dying. The cams a 230/234 .598/.612 on a 113 LSA so it's nothing too crazy. Basically, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good honest tuner in the OC/LA area? My concern is that it's a new engine and it's not even close to being broken in yet but it's just impossible to go out and try to put a good 400-500 miles on the thing as it sits. I've been reading horror stories of people spending $500 bucks on a reputable tuner and still having their car run like **** and I'm a broke *** college student that works at a grocery store so I don't want to **** my money away.
Charlie at rpm motors inc in santa clarita. Tuned my car and I was very happy with the results. With a cam that big and heads, you shouldnt be running the stock tune.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Teching In

I know, I didn't plan on beating on it until it was tuned but I wanted to at least break it in. What gears are you running/cam specs? I have 3.73's in the car. How's your car in stop and go driving?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is a torquer v3 which is something like a 232/234 .600/.650 on a 111 LSA. 4.11 gears, it drives like a cammed car should haha. Gotta play with the throttle sometimes to keep it from stalling when slowing down but once you're moving it drives nice.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Damn even on 4.11's? My friend has an ms3/stock heads and his car rarely ever dies and it doesn't buck at all, but he's also running 4.56 gears. My cam is a good amount smaller than yours so I'm hoping to not have to deal with it dying when I left off the gas
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Damn even on 4.11's? My friend has an ms3/stock heads and his car rarely ever dies and it doesn't buck at all, but he's also running 4.56 gears. My cam is a good amount smaller than yours so I'm hoping to not have to deal with it dying when I left off the gas
Gears make a HUGE difference. I went from 4.11s and it didnt buck or surge at all really, moved to a higher gear (lower number) and it bucks and surges a lot more now.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Ok I'll keep that in mind, but I'm just hoping that a tune will work out the stalling. I'm alright with a little surging, but I just don't get while it would idle great on the stock tune with the factory short block and now it's undriveable
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I'll keep that in mind, but I'm just hoping that a tune will work out the stalling. I'm alright with a little surging, but I just don't get while it would idle great on the stock tune with the factory short block and now it's undriveable
There could be a lot of reasons for that, vacuum leak, bad o2s, sensor not plugged in, etc.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not drive your car if it is having this much trouble. Diagnose what is wrong before you damage the motor. A poor running engine is a ticking time bomb. You run the risk of washing down the cylinder walls if it's too rich, and causing detonation if it's too lean.

You don't break in an engine before tuning it.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Do not drive your car if it is having this much trouble. Diagnose what is wrong before you damage the motor. A poor running engine is a ticking time bomb. You run the risk of washing down the cylinder walls if it's too rich, and causing detonation if it's too lean.

You don't break in an engine before tuning it.
I wasn't driving it around on the street, I just drove it through my condo complex and realized that it definitely needs some help before I try and run it again. Ok thank you, I wasn't really sure if they just did base tunes on it to get it driveable. Does any one else know of any shops that tune these cars closer to Santa Ana OC?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't you send your computer off to a respectable company like Speartech and others with the up grades you've made for a reflash? This may get it driveable so you can get some breakin miles on it.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

check out cunningham motorsports in lake elsinore. i had them do my tune on my bolton car. i hear alot of good things from people about them and im satisfied with the tune i got. put down 360hp 365tq through a 9 inch with full boltons minus underdrive and electric water pump.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

your motor has a much lighter rotating assembly now thats prolly part of it, and just unplugging your emissions equip will cause drivability issues especially if you caused a vacuum leak. definately get a tune.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Lake Elsinore is a little too far for me, I'm gonna get it trailered to a shop because I've spent enough money on it and I don't feel like messing with it my self.

Does any one have any experience with Superior Automotive in Anaheim? I was recommended this shop by a friend.