Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

if c-clips broke on a 10 bolt, would...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default if c-clips broke on a 10 bolt, would...

the axles fall out? reason i ask is there is a small amount of play with the back tires. i can pull the wheel assembly out and in a little, and the *** end of the car sways around alot while driving. i know with my old stang if a cclip fell out the whole axle would come flying out, so i dunno if thats true for camaros as well. if it sounds like my cclips are gone, how do i replace them? any tutorials?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

depends on what type of center section you have. if the c-clips are gone then it will be easy to see once the rear end cover is off. if you take the wheels off and then the brake caliper and if the axle pulls out then the clips are gone. But the brake caliper must be off to get the axle out. If they are gone then remove the cover and pull the center pin it the center carrier by removing the bolt that hold the pin. This depend on what center you have though. If you have a pic of the rear with the cover removed I can tell which you have and how is comes a part. It is easy.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do they move?
My axles "chatters" a little.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

ok ill probably throw it on the lift at work on monday and check it out.. it moves about 1/2 a inch, but feels like the brake caliper stops it. it is EXTREMELY loose on the road, especially under hard acceleration. its gonna be pretty wild if my cclips are indeed gone, ive gone 150+mph. scary to think what if an axle/wheel came off at that speed. heh.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Glad to find someone with the same problem! My left axle has about 3/8 inch of play and i can feel the back end shift/sway while driving down the road. I also get a nice muffled rattle from the axle that is starting to drive me crazy. I have the stock Auburn (i think) 3-series with 110k miles on it. I looked at the diff and it's not missing the C-clips but the whole thing seems loose and i'm not sure why.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 1/2" of lateral axle movement seems excessive. About 1/8" seems normal. If you were to break the c-clip at speed, the brake caliper would try to retain the axle the best it could. Most likely the brake would be turned to carnage and at that point its a crap shoot. Either way, you are guaranteed to shat yourself.

Cant hurt to replace the c-clips if they have wear or indentations.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was riding in a friend's '67 GTO back in '78 when a rear axle and tire came off and really tore up the rear quarter panel. Come to find out the rear had been leaking for some time, and he never checked the fluid level... Bob
Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I was riding in a friend's '67 GTO back in '78 when a rear axle and tire came off and really tore up the rear quarter panel. Come to find out the rear had been leaking for some time, and he never checked the fluid level... Bob
well i have disk brake calipers in the back instead of drums so i'm safe....

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

anyone got a vendor or site where to buy c-clips from?
i got a 93 with a 3 series.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure the c-clips are what is bad? The c-clips are harder than the metal around them. Usually they will wear into the axles or carrier. Or did you lose one?

Quick Reply: if c-clips broke on a 10 bolt, would...