Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY auto rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY auto rebuild

I'm considering rebuilding the Th350 out of my Isuzu Rodeo. Thinking about getting one of these "how to" vids. I've been a mechanic for many a year but at dealerships where fixing an auto meant pulling it out and sending it back to the manufacturer.

I'm trying to do a 9 second pass for a 9 thousand dollars and things are getting a bit tight so DIY is (apparently) the go

http://www.idealhowtovideo.com/hp350trubotransr06.htm

Is it doable or unpossible?

Edit: Hmmm is it a concern they can't spell turbo?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one that went 8.21 last weekend. So I would say yes it is possible. I guess it would depend on the weight of the Rodeo and also the parts used in the unit. It will definitely take some money to do this from scratch. Here is one for sale that I built. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...350-trans.html
Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Man, I'd love to get that but shipping would kill me
Old 10-18-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto 350

There not that complicated at all. Main things, clutch packs and be sure to replace the one way sprags and hubs with hardened parts. If your going to have a tight 1 > 2 shift, that sprag and hub takes takes a beating.
The front pumps are pretty tough.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

theres a great book out, i think it might have been by Ron Sessions, how to build a turbo 350-i got it years ago, built my first 350 from it, did the tricks they suggested, ran it in a Nova i had back then 2 seasons, only was running
11's though, cheap converter finally took it out, lol
its just time consuming, i think the only tool i needed was to rem the rev clutch?? all the way in the bottom-just take time, meas everything, and be clean-prob gonna need some good parts for 9's though
might think about a 400, pick up a core for $100, install parts needed, it would be stronger w/o the costs
Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I'll have a search for that book. I was only going for a 10 second for 10 grand goal but things changed :/ That's why I went for a Th350 and now the mounts are made and doubt a 400 will fit in the tunnel

Vince: I've searched on your site but could only find the later boxes listed?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieALLMTR
Vince: I've searched on your site but could only find the later boxes listed?
Sorry you will not find them but we do build them. You would have to call for pricing. The link I provided to the one for sale is a great deal and I do not believe you could buy the parts for that money. It has billet input shaft for the forward drum, sprag style direct drum, wide low roller, reverse pattern Coan pro tree brake, JW bell housing and a couple other tricks I do when building these units.

For the money it is a steel. Might be something to consider if you do not want to purchase a new unit from us. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks Vince, I'll look into shipping.

If I wanted to DIY a nitrous Ls1 with a small cam in a 2800lb car what parts (other than stock) would I need to buy from you to strengthn it? I'm looking at running a 3500 stall and 3.5 gears with 275/60's.

Thanks for any and all help
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

be sure and check to make sure that your spring in the shift accumulator hasent broke. it is a very common thing with the th-350/375b. thats one piece thati always change. if you block that accumulator piston down it will shift like a raped ape. another problem that i see that some guys have a problem with is the anti roll spring clip on the 1st/rvs sprag. make sure that goes in proporly. it keeps the sprag retainer from rotating. other than that they are a very simple tranny to rebuild.