Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch problem

Long story - short: The LS2 in the '88 Firebird died already and a new one is going in, but there are some issues with the clutch install. This is being done at a German garage that is familiar with American cars, mostly older stuff. Here's an email I got from the mechanic:

"The pressure spring of the pressure plate in the clutch comes out (means back directionaly to the gearbox) if the friction plate loses material while using.
The hydraulic throwout bearing has to move back to compensate this back moving of the spring ... then everything will be fine to the point, where the friction plate has reached the "life end". This is normal.
But with your setup the throwout bearing can move only 3 mm back, this is to short ... after a short time of using the clutch the bearing will stuck on the mounting surface of the gearbox, the clutch will never fully engage at this point, starting to be slippy. Normal the throwout bearing needs 11 to 12 mm for backmovement for compensating."

This is a SPEC 3+ clutch that was in the car after the conversion, but it wore out after 9K miles. Maybe it wore out early because of this? I've been driving on an LS7 clutch until the 2nd engine was purchased and now I'm going back to the SPEC 3+.

Any ideas on what needs to be done? The mechanic has been calling SPEC, but he still doesn't know what to do.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does the throwout bearing need to be replaced? I believe there are different bearings available.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by a10beav
Does the throwout bearing need to be replaced? I believe there are different bearings available.

Contact "Spec01" here on teh site..he is a tech/dealer for Spec Clutches.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

I am more than happy to assist with any questions that you or your installer may have. In fact i beleive that you installer contacted me for measurement information previously and of course I was happy to oblige.

That being said if you are dealing with Andy @ Dany's Garage he seems to be doing a great job with assessing your issue. Last time I emailed with him it seemed that your transmission has been faced at some point (which would chang the depth). All of the parts measurements were within spec and thus this doesn't appear to be a parts issue. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, that is my mechanic. He is very detail oriented and has caught a few things I would have missed.

Thanks for working with him on this, it sounds like he knows what to do now.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, he has been very good at taking measurements and communicating the specifics to me. Andy seems to be a very confident and capable mechanic. Please let me know if you need anything further. Thanks,