Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Decayed / Rotten Caliper Piston surrounds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decayed / Rotten Caliper Piston surrounds?

Hi Guys - I'm sure this has been covered here, but on a search in the forum and via Google, I wasn't able to find anything about decaying or rotten piston surrounds.

I was changing my front brakes (pads, rotors) today on my 99 SS w/ 110K miles when I realized that the 'rubber' surround outside the pistons on the front calipers is decayed/gone.

I can post pictures as soon as my camera charges back up, but since it's fairly simple to explain, was hoping someone might have some feedback as to the criticality of having these parts in tact. Do they do anything functional (i.e. keep dust out of the piston mechanism) or are they purely cosmetic?

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like its your dust boots. Mine ripped/melted on my 99 T/A too. Theyre not cosmetic and if the car is driven daily or aggresively, the surface of the piston and the bore of the caliper can be damaged. Most importantly, there is a seal that you dont not want to get damaged. If that seal is damaged any way there is a possibility the brake sytem will loose pressure and can put your safety at risk.

You have a few options you can do:
1. Rebuild Stock caliper/s
2. Upgrade to C5 calipers w/wo rotors
3. Run CTS-V Swap
4. Any Big Brake Upgrade.

Option 1.
If your on a budget there is nothing wrong with this option. GmPartsDirect has a rebuild kit for each caliper for a little of $10. Not bad if your stretched on cash. Only other thing youll need to buy are some copper washers for when you take the calipers apart. On the downfall, if you buy into criticism, LS1 calipers have there downfalls. Theyre made buy a gravity cast and have a weak spot in the casting. Once the caliper heats up you can actually distort the caliper body and never have proper braking. Easiest way to tell if this has happened is if you look at your brake rotor. If the inner towards the hub is barely touched and the outer part looks like it is taking all the abuse, then you will always have warping rotors due to the distorted caliper. Either buy new LS1 calipers or do a different option.

Option 2.
Corvette brakes are more reliable. The calipers are made from a pressure cast instead of gravity, and if you choose to run the rotors you will have a directional vented rotor that will run cooler. Differences are a lot. Steel Pistons around 44mm? in LS1, Aluminum pistons around 40mm? in C5 calipers. Bigger Pistons mean greating clamping force, so it is not suggested(by me) to run C5 calipers on F-Body 12 inch rotors. You will need the corvette rotor and a relocation bracket and abutment bracket (which many sponsors have readily available) to fit onto the corvette brake 13 inth rotors. Many that have done this swap will claim their brakes never have warped or distorted, even under daily or aggresive driving/racing styles. C5 calipers, about $115 each new through GmParts Direct, Rotors $40 for drilled or blanks, brakets are cheap, like $15 each on average. Great budget upgrade.

Option 3.
Many post are becoming popular on the CTS-v Swap. To be short, you get a 4-piston brembo *factory* caliper from a Cadillac CTS-V. You need a C6 z06 14" rotor, washers, longer brake lines, etc.. It is a little more aggressive and is stickied in the suspension and brake thread. Downfall, your factory 17 inch wheels will not fit, diameter or width. The caliper will hit the rim and the spokes on factory 17s. Solution, 18s and longer studs and wheel spacers. Many like/dislike this swap. If you have questions just ask.

Option 4.
All sponsors carry different set-ups and all have a good price tag, but you get what you pay for. There is SSBC, Bear, Brembo... all kinds. Those are also stickied.

Your best bet is option 1 if your strapped on cash but through my personal experience is not the permenant fix. I have rebuilt my LS1 calipers twice and it just doesnt compare to how nice they were. It almost feels like im braking on ice. Option 2 is good and would be my advice if you wanted to run that later down the road. Option 3 and 4 are for if you want to try something creative as long as your wallet can handle them.

Hope this information was helpful and I hope it helps you with a decision. Just look at your rotors before you take your brakes into a more serious direction. The calipers might still be in good condition.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said^^^^. They keep water and dust off the piston..
Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

N.M.Racer - thanks so much for your detailed response! This is exactly what I needed to know (and more).

Mike
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

No problem at all, hope everything gets fixed well.

I'm always looking for a better braking set-up and dont want to drop a load of cash onto it. If you have any questions on rebuilding the calipers or swapping parts just let me know. Hopefully I can find just a simple bolt on replacement caliper for our cars that improves everything since every kit requires running a 13"rotor, which requires 17" wheels so stock z28s, ws9s and formys cant run stock.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Decayed / Rotten Caliper Piston surrounds?