Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

low tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low tire pressure sensors

If you do not install these sensors will there be a constant light on the dash or warning messages that won't go away? Looking to have some winter wheels and tires installed. Don't want to spend another $200 + dollars on sensors if I don't have to. Also I was told the dealer has to set the frequency on a different set of sensors. Anyone know what the price of this service is?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I just looked to see what kind of system the camaro is using. Yes, there will be a light on without the sensors. so that tells me your valve stems are somewhat bolted in. I dont know why they did this! most tpms get there information through the ebcm, so they use regular valve stems and no sensor in the wheels, but it can still give accurate tire pressure.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
I just looked to see what kind of system the camaro is using. Yes, there will be a light on without the sensors. so that tells me your valve stems are somewhat bolted in. I dont know why they did this! most tpms get there information through the ebcm, so they use regular valve stems and no sensor in the wheels, but it can still give accurate tire pressure.
How can you get the pressure if there is no sensor in the wheels?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

most tpms sensors transmit a wireless signal to the bcm. The sensor is the valve stem you with notice a plastic nut on the valve stem. Most of the are a standard item because it is federally required to have the system. The sensor has a battery molded into it you can run wheels with out them, and the light will be on. Some dealers can turn the light off but it is illegal, but i would guess you can run your winter wheel pkg and then when u reinstall your summer pkg the light may go out on its own as long and the sensors still transmit a signal. Or the dealer can reset them for you, i would look for some extra sensors on ebay, the sensors mit most wheels i have seen except for some crazy large 24+ aftermarket wheels.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

If its just a light on the dash thats no big deal, but if theres bells and whistles going off, thats another story. Unless its some god awful bright light in my face. If I did put the sensors in I would still have to take it to the dealer every spring and reset it for the other wheels but if its pricey to do that I'll live with a light on the dash for the winter. No biggie.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

the sensors should only hafta be set when u move them, like when rotating... but as long as u put them back in the same position, it should be fine... u could also move the sensors from 1 set of wheels to the other, as long as u put them back in the same position on the car...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could turn mine off. They are not in the right positions and such.

If it was an easy fix I would get rid of them.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPILS1
most tpms sensors transmit a wireless signal to the bcm. The sensor is the valve stem you with notice a plastic nut on the valve stem. Most of the are a standard item because it is federally required to have the system. The sensor has a battery molded into it you can run wheels with out them, and the light will be on. Some dealers can turn the light off but it is illegal, but i would guess you can run your winter wheel pkg and then when u reinstall your summer pkg the light may go out on its own as long and the sensors still transmit a signal. Or the dealer can reset them for you, i would look for some extra sensors on ebay, the sensors mit most wheels i have seen except for some crazy large 24+ aftermarket wheels.
Just one more way the government is driving the cost of our cars up for ridiculous reasons. Whatever happened to people checking their own tire pressure?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

morons with explorers are likely to blame for this.

Does anybody know the procedure for a second set of rims on a car? I replaced the rims on a 2010 SS tuesday, and not I cannot get tire pressure to read out.

The "new" set of rims, had sensors installed already, I did not break down the oem wheels to reuse the sensors.

Ryan
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

they hafta be reset at the dealer, with the special tool they have...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
On the tree

Are you all sure, seeing as the new Camaro is a platform cousin to the G8 there is a procedure in the back of my owners manual on how to reset the positions, same thing for me 2008 TBSS as there was a procedure in that owners manual as well.

I dont think you have to take it to the dealer, I am sure there is a procedure that you should be able to do yourself that will reset the positions.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Called a local dealer and he said just bring it in. In only takes 5 minutes and sounded like he would not charge me to do it. I did find the tire rack sells the tool for $105 but it does not show the camaro on the list of cars it works on.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=111
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
On the tree

WHY PAY WHEN YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF FOR FREE...???

COPIED FROM THE CAMARO5 FORUM....

From the owners manual.

Reset the tire learn mode. Each tire will have to have air added or removed until the horn beeps, the horn beeping means that the air pressure sensor has learned that tires pressure.

Just did it yesterday, had to read the book.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
I wonder if the reason they did this was because of the issue Ford and Firestone had with under inflated tires? If it wasn't it might have been because Ford and Firestone were run under the bus. Remember, Sally was driving her Ford one day. Sally had low tire pressure, the tire got hot the tire blew. Sally really didn't know how to drive in the first place. So when the tire blew. Sally and her three snot nosed kids rolled down the highway - killing everyone. This was a sad event. Ford and Firestone lost a bunch of money fixing the problem. Our government told the auto makers. Fix the problem.... We can't have Sally killing her kids because of low tire pressure. Those sensors are a pain in the ***.

So, is the insurance on the wifes new SS.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Are these the sensors that are integral to the valve steam?

Someone should fab up a small AL chamber, stick the sensors in there, pressurize the chamber, and then just toss it in the back of the car or something.

All I need in my life is another bitch [light].

Or is there a software patch?? heh....

Quick Reply: low tire pressure sensors