Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to tap oil feed?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tap oil feed?

I have that little piece out above the oil filter and I have also marked off the spot I want for my drain. Heres the deal, Ive never tapped and thread a whole before? Do I just need to pick up a tap and die set and figure out the thread count and size for the fittings?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

Take the fitting to a hardware store and tell them to match you up with what you need. The right size drill bite to drill the right size whole for the fitting and the right size tap to thread it with. They should have the tap by itself and the right size bite.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Very easy. Make sure you hold the tap straight all the way through and use some cutting oil (tap magic). I have a chart that tells you what drill bit to use. Most industrial supply shops have these for like $2-$3. You can prob find it on the internet and print it off. I was told if it calls for a numbered or lettered bit and you don't have one to use the next fractional bit below it. The last time I looked at taps in lowes the sold some drill bit and tap combos.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Default Tap what style ?

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
Very easy. Make sure you hold the tap straight all the way through and use some cutting oil (tap magic). I have a chart that tells you what drill bit to use. Most industrial supply shops have these for like $2-$3. You can prob find it on the internet and print it off. I was told if it calls for a numbered or lettered bit and you don't have one to use the next fractional bit below it. The last time I looked at taps in lowes the sold some drill bit and tap combos.
Tap There two types of tapes 1. Starter tap. 2. Bottoming tap. The first would be used for new thread starting. 2nd. Would be for existing threads or shallow holes.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

You just need a set of pipe ( NPT ) thread taps . 1/8 npt for the feed line and 1/2 for the drain , might get away with 3/8 for the drain ( I did but opened up the inside of the fitting a bit )
Look up the appropriate drill size and get those or a full set
Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I have that little piece out above the oil filter and I have also marked off the spot I want for my drain. Heres the deal, Ive never tapped and thread a whole before? Do I just need to pick up a tap and die set and figure out the thread count and size for the fittings?

Above the oil filter use a 11/32 drill bit for 1/8 npt if you need to use 1/4npt use a 7/16 drill bit usually it is 1/8 npt a starter tap is all you need for this make sure you only tap a little bit then check to make sure the fitting is 4 or 5 threads deep. Hope this helps
Old 02-10-2021, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If you’re nervous about the drilling and tapping operation motion race works and several other companies make a filter head cap or whatever you want to call it with the 1/8 npt ports built in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tap oil feed?