Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating???????

Can someone please tell me what the hell is wrong with this thing and why it's all the sudden overheating?

The overheating started about two weeks ago, but it hasn't really been just a big deal.

I went to the track this past weekend and on the first pass after I let out the temp gauge jumps up to 240-250. I pull over and kill the car and the fans are still running. I drive it back to the trailer and the overflow tank is full. So I drain it, refill it with water and try it again.

Well the exact same thing happened.

This time I pull the thermostat out and run it without one, this time it doesn't overheat but runs around 195-215. Yet, I'm still getting quiet a bit of water in the overflow tank for some reason and had to keep refilling the radiator after every pass.

So far I've changed thermostats and radiator caps. I've ran a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and I've also ran straight water (track rules).

It also looks like the water pump is circulating the water pretty good. It acts like there air in the system, but I'm pretty sure that I bled it right and everything. There's no leaks on the carport at all if I leave the car overnight. None in the oil either.

Any other obvious problems any can see?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

I had the same thing once but i realized it was my after market RS effect which blocked air from coming to the radiator...if there are no leaks and your fans are working alright then u might getting air in ur system...but i think its ur fans, check their speed and if they work with the ac on or not...gd luck
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

and yea it might not leak when the car is switched off so check that too!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a air pocket is stuck in the there. Have you tried draining the systems and rebleeding it again?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsls1
Sounds like a air pocket is stuck in the there. Have you tried draining the systems and rebleeding it again?
Haven't tried it again, but I'll try again today.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Headgasket..
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vtc_ws6
headgasket..
+ 1

Only way coolant can get pushed past a NEW radiator cap after you topped the coolant off and did one pass....air is getting pushed into the cooling system first.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does it only over heat when ran hard, like at the track? if just driven around town normally how does it act?

i hate to say it but yeah +2 for the headgasket. but obviously u want to check everything u can before the head(s) come off.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

I changed water pumps and thermostats and caps again today and bled the system. So far everything is working and its running 190-205 at idle.

I checked the plugs, they look good. No water or Anti-freeze in the oil either.

I haven't taken it down the road since the car isn't street legal right now and still on the trailer.

The only time it overheated was after a good 1/8th mile pass when I let off the gas. Maybe I'll take it down the road tomorrow to see how it does.