Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co.

I am posting this on the forums to give everyone a little feedback for Monster clutches and SNL performance. On August 10 of this year, I purchased a Monster Stage 3 clutch from SNL performance. My mechanic installed the clutch and was beginning to put the wiring, intake manifold, etc back on the motor. A thread was posted about 28 faulty clutches being produced in the month of August. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones. So, we pulled the motor to send the clutch back. In the mean time, I had sent 2 PM's to Steve at SNL Performance regarding this situation.....No response. 2 weeks after we sent this clutch to Monster, we finally get another unit. So he installs it, and as he was bolting back the subframe, he noticed the slave cylinder hose was the wrong one. Guess what, Monster sent the wrong slave cylinder hydraulic line fitting. Motor comes back out AGAIN. I am now out an additional $1000 because of the faulty clutch, the the wrong slave cylinder hydraulic fitting. I had sent another PM to Steve at SNL asking for compensation for the poor quality control and the reply was a tech error. Then I asked about the faulty clutch, what about compensation for that? No, we sent out a new unit. So what this boils down to is I am out an unnecessary $1000 due to Monster's poor quality control. And a dealer that provides poor customer service. I will give props to Morris Motorsports, another dealer who helped me get in contact with Steve finally. He displayed very good customer service and responded to my emails within 2 days. I'm sure SNL performance will post on here denying everything I just posted and that everything will be my fault. Even the faulty clutch production will be my fault since it can't be Monsters. All the rave has been Monster this Monster that and I have had to endure their poor quality control on 2 costly occasions. Am I bashing the company's products? NO WAY, they have been proven and can't wait to get this one on the road, but at the same time, Monster should make this right an compensate me for sending out a faulty clutch unit since I had to pull the motor again to send it back. There are 27 more people out there that had the same issue and wondering if they got any compensation. This issue needs to be rectified.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First to clarify a few things...
  • SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co. are owned and operated by the same person, that person would be me.
  • I told you that I would be more than happy to credit you the amount you paid to have the defective clutch swapped out, more than what most clutch companies would do.
  • I told you that ALL of our Fbody, GTO, and C5 Premium packages include the fbody slave and that those fittings need to be swapped. If your tech had a question about the fitting then he should have stopped what he was doing and called us, it states this clearly on the instructions. Instead, he overlooked this until the entire drivetrain was assembled and then asked you to foot the bill. I will not ever be responsible for a technicians mistake.
  • As I told you in email, I do not know where all of these alleged emails and pms went, I got one pm today (the first time I've been on the forum in over three weeks) and an email from Morris Motorsports. The email from Morris Motorsports was recieved this morning and that is what prompted me to send you the initial email from earlier today.
  • The miscommunication could have been avoided 100% by you using the "contact us" link on our website... sending pm's, then emails to a dealer isn't going to get you far. Obviously you didn't get an answer from me on the forum because I've not been on here. At that point you should have sent an email directly to the manufacturer, not another dealer.

So again, I'll pay for the initial install, but, I will NOT pay for the mistake made by your technician. A lot of people here can attest to my customer service, I will bend over backwards for my customers when the requests that are made are not unrealistic.

Considering this pm you sent me:

Hello Steve, My name is Caleb and I contacted you a couple of weeks ago about a bad clutch that I had. Since I couldn't get in contact with you in a timely manner, I went direct with Monster. They sent me a brand new clutch. Not a "Clutch Kit" but just a clutch. So, my mechanic pulls the motor, installs the clutch, and puts the motor back in. When he puts the motor back and and begins to rebolt the subframe back onto the frame. He noticed that the slave cylinder hose was wrong. Turns out, that you sold me a Camaro slave cylinder, not a C5 Corvette slave. So now, I get to pay an additional fee of my mechanic pulling my motor BACK OUT AGAIN to fix this problem because you sent me the wrong slave. I would not be as irritated right now if this was the only problem but its not. First, I order the clutch and it finally gets to the shop and 2 weeks later, I find out that it is a "Bad Batch". So guess what, I get to pull the motor and replace the clutch. Get a new clutch and then find out that the slave cylinder was WRONG the whole time. We have called Monster and all they said was and I quote," Well, you are just going to have to take the motor out again, no other choice." Said nothing about compensating me for taking the motor out on 2 separate occasions because of your clutch problems and quality control. I am a realist here and I realize that sometimes you have to eat a bullet, but not twice, by the same company, within a matter of a month. So here is what I am asking for. Since my mechanic is charging me a flat rate of $500 to pull the motor and put it back in, that is $1000 in labor since he had to pull it twice. I am requesting that I get compensated for the full price of the clutch. $749
and we can call it even. There is no one else's fault but your company and Monster. I definitely am not going to eat $1000 for labor because of you company's mistake. Email me back ASAP with you offer. I assure you, this will go much smoother if you would just compensate me instead of trying to cover your *** and say its my fault because in no way shape or form its my fault. Waiting to hear back from you.
I'd say that your requests are a little "off". I'll be more than happy to credit you $500 for the install, I'm not giving you $749, and I'm not giving you the additional $500 that you were charged because of your technicians mistake.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000

Last edited by SNLPerformance; 10-19-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Banned

Well I just seen where you said you are going to repay me $500 for the install of the faulty clutch. That is fair and I appreciate it. Case Closed
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ask me, that is far more than fair. I understand you were upset about the bad clutch you recieved, but Steve is top notch in the business, most other companies wouldn't have gone to anywhere near the lengths that Steve has to rectify the situation. Keep up the good work Steve. TransAmCoupe98, enjoy your car when it's all finished, you won't look back with that Monster.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Launching!

That is impressive that Steve is paying the $500.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I've been off the boards for awhile now and have just now heard of this company SNL Performance and Monster Clutches, but from what I've seen browsing the Manual Transmission forum the past few hours, SNL and Monster are top notch! Customer service and the actual clutch seem to be legit as ****. I cannot wait to get my hands on a Monster clutch and give my business to Steve. Keep up the incredible work.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

hats off to Steve!!! stand up guy! i will be needing a monster 3 for my V shortly!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Banned

Steve has compensated me for the defective unit and has definitely shown class and really cares about the company's reputation for their customer service. Applause for him.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Well I just seen where you said you are going to repay me $500 for the install of the faulty clutch. That is fair and I appreciate it. Case Closed
I'm glad that we could get you taken care of, it was nice working with you.

Originally Posted by IWGF
If you ask me, that is far more than fair. I understand you were upset about the bad clutch you recieved, but Steve is top notch in the business, most other companies wouldn't have gone to anywhere near the lengths that Steve has to rectify the situation. Keep up the good work Steve. TransAmCoupe98, enjoy your car when it's all finished, you won't look back with that Monster.
Originally Posted by sabastian458
That is impressive that Steve is paying the $500.
Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I've been off the boards for awhile now and have just now heard of this company SNL Performance and Monster Clutches, but from what I've seen browsing the Manual Transmission forum the past few hours, SNL and Monster are top notch! Customer service and the actual clutch seem to be legit as ****. I cannot wait to get my hands on a Monster clutch and give my business to Steve. Keep up the incredible work.
Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
hats off to Steve!!! stand up guy! i will be needing a monster 3 for my V shortly!
Thanks a ton guys!

As I've stated before, I never claim that Monster Clutch Co. is perfect, we're human and mistakes will be made. It's how we deal with those mistakes and how we treat the customers that make us stand out.

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Steve has compensated me for the defective unit and has definitely shown class and really cares about the company's reputation for their customer service. Applause for him.
Thanks again man.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

So, let me get this straight. I understand that this is taken care of now, and knowing Steve and having dealt with him in person multiple times, I would have expected nothing but outstanding customer service from him.

What I don't get is that your mechanic pulled the motor TWICE at a cost of $500 a pop to rectify clutch problems. Pull the freaking tranny for Christ sake, not the motor. Most shops (SNL included) charge about $250 to pull the tranny. I would be kicking the inept mechanics *** for over charging me, not bitching about the clutch company not paying for it. Also, they provide the F-body slave because it is a LOT cheaper than the GTO unit, and identical except for the fittings. If the mechanic can't read the directions and missed this, I would ABSOLUTLY refuse to pay the second MOTOR pull.

What a clusterfuk!!

BTW, if your mechanic at least did a good job with the clutch install, you will LOVE it!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

The reason we pulled the motor is he was doing a cam/head install so it was a little faster to do it that way than pulling the *** out.

Quick Reply: SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co.