Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH700R4 rebuild $ WTF?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH700R4 rebuild $ WTF?

so after lookin around im begining to see that a rebuild for my 200k mile th700 is going to be in the thousands range so i found a rebuild kit from monster transmission for about 500 bucks! now i saw one of these kits being used on extreme 4X4 looked pretty damn legit! my question is how hard would it be to rebuild my transmission DIY style?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how much patience you have. It takes a lot of patience to do an automatic trans. I would do it again though since shops are retarded with labor.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you will run into trying to do it yourself is the lack of specific tools and an array of parts and the time it takes. If you had it rebuilt by a shop, it should only take a week at most. The DIY route can take months depending on your parts source. The kits you buy do contain most of the parts you need, but it does not contain everything due to there are certain parts that can not be bought until your trans is tore down and inspected.
Then there is the lack of support if something does not function properly. I can tell you there is nothing enjoyable about spending a lot of money and tremendous amount of time just to get the trans back into the car and it not function properly. If that happens the chances that you would be willing to pull it out and start all over again is slim, so then you would be back at square one and paying a shop to do it.

It happens everyday, and the unsuccessful builds far outnumber those who get lucky their fisrt time.

I do not want to discourage you at all, but I do want you to see the big picture.

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TH700R4 rebuild $ WTF?