Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leaking at the gear box

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering leaking at the gear box

Just got my 87 monte running. I took the stock pressure line for the car and cut the end off to use down at the box and had a hydraulic place in Chattanooga braze a dash 6 male fitting on one end and ran teflon braided line to the pump. The leak is at the gear box where the factory fitting screws into the box, but isn't leaking around the threads. It's leaking up through the fitting where the hard line goes through. I've stuck 2 other o-rings on the line, but no success in stopping the leak. Anyone have the same thing or any solution to this?

Edit: I drove the car probably 40 miles before it starting leaking the first time, and now I can't even slow the leak down

Last edited by Monte LS....1; 10-20-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

i think the power steering box uses an inverted flare. a AN fitting will not work. the angle of the end of the inverted flare is different from a AN fitting and will definetly cause a leak.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you swap to a metric to AN adapter and run all braided hose? That's what I did on mine.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

sorry for the confusion...what I'm using is basically the stock hard ling that goes into the box that comes up and makes a 90 degree turn. one end of the tube has the factory flare with the o ring and fittings on it and on the opposite end i had the AN fitting brazed on to run braided line to the pump. I'm on lunch right now and have to be getting back to work, but after I get home I will post a pic of what i'm using currently.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You probably just need a new hard line and put your braided line back on it. You can get an adapter for the tube also. You shouldn't have to have any brazing done. Depending on which size the fitting is, I may have the correct adapter, if you decide to run one piece of braided line. I think I have a couple of spare m16 to AN gear box fittings.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

heres a couple of pictures...probably going to be huge so sorry in advance if they are...

heres an adapter fitting I think your talking about...the brass insert on the right looks exactly like the end of the factory line with the exception that it is longer then the factory one is. When I tried putting it into the box, 1.25 turns and the fitting was finger tight. The brass piece is also somewhat lose inside the port in the box, but maybe its suppossed to be?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Man I have been battling a problem like this on my t/a for a loooong time now. Same exact issue, just different car. I got a new o-ring a year or so ago, worked for like one week, started leaking again. I just did a motor swap, while it was out I wanted to try to fix again since I had all the room to work. I went and got another o-ring, only this time, the ring they sold me was bigger. When I pulled the line the old ring was still in there, which is much smaller than the ring they sold me this time. I am at my wits end with this. Mine leaks around where the hard line goes through as well, not around the threads. I am ready to just bypass the power steering now. IDK what o-ring I am supposed to use now. Sorry, i didnt mean to hijack, I really hope you find the fix to this and maybe I can finally fix mine.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

That sucks big time, and not very encouraging lol. Gunna try a different o ring tonight and this time take the line completely off and put the line on the gear box before i put the other end on the pump. Hope it works cause this is getting old, ps fluid is getting to add up in cost, and the fluid is eating the paint off the gear box and frame
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AE...9/?image=large

?????????????

Quick Reply: Power steering leaking at the gear box