Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

crankcase evacuation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crankcase evacuation?

has anyone used one of these on a turbo car instead of a catch can. i am thinking about getting one. any reason to use the catch can over one of these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-25900/
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those work on old school emission cars. The vac source is located in the exhaust with these. I belive they also use a check valve to keep hot exhaust from blowing back through the motor.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeman
has anyone used one of these on a turbo car instead of a catch can. i am thinking about getting one. any reason to use the catch can over one of these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-25900/
How does that work exactly?

Do you drill a hole in the exhaust pipe somewhere and install the metal tube so the exhaust flow creates suction as it flows by it and pulls air from the crankcase?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM
8 Second Club

yes, basically the exhaust will pull a vacuum on the crankcase and the check valve doesnt let any exhaust in the crankcase.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Im interest now also. Anyone know if these work on newer cars?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like something you could totally do yourself. A check valve would be needed along with some heater house.

It would be neat to hook up a vacuum gauge between the check valve and valve cover to see how they perform.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Someone do this! lol
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

i've read the drag racers use them and they don't work if you have a muffler, open exhaust only. yep, a checkvalve and the mopar type air breathers
Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrider
i've read the drag racers use them and they don't work if you have a muffler, open exhaust only. yep, a checkvalve and the mopar type air breathers
A muffler wouldn't make much of a difference since the whole concept is based on Bernoulli's principle.

After doing some research I found that the Honda fans have dug into this idea and logged some data. Looks like the exhaust slashcut evacuation method works but it's very unforgiving and at times the system will see positive pressure when routed into the downpipe. I saw that some guys ran one to both the downpipe/open dump wastegates turn down(w/check valves). When routed to the open dump turn down they saw complete vacuum once the wastegate began to open. The problems associated with trying to plumb vacuum lines to the downpipe is pretty self explanatory.

IMO it's a neat idea. The fact that this method will at times see positive pressure makes it pretty much useless though. There's far better and more reliable ways to go about evacuating the crankcase. The same slash cut idea can be used on the intake pipes as well or you could just route a vacuum line pre-turbo and never have to worry about crankcase pressure.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Launching!

works well for me
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

do you use a muffler? where is the fitting that goes in the exhaust at in your set up?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Looks like something you could totally do yourself. A check valve would be needed along with some heater house.

It would be neat to hook up a vacuum gauge between the check valve and valve cover to see how they perform.

If that part is welded right after the collector, with a check valve so nothing can go to the crankcase, seems like the perfect system.

You can also run a PCV valve in-line so it doesn't pull too much crankcase gases (oil mist) out fo the crankcase at high rpm during a run, which could effect the rotating assembly from getting that mist on it.

I think a hose should run to each valve cover port and pull crankcase gases from there, then down to each collector. Should be able to install that in 30 minutes.

I'm definitely doing this when my new engine goes in. Bye-Bye oil into the intake.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dudeman
do you use a muffler? where is the fitting that goes in the exhaust at in your set up?
yes i use a muffler its a straight through dynotech muffler. the fitting's are just after my downpipe.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM
8 Second Club

cool, i have a set on the way. i think it will work just fine!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

we used to use those back in the day, most guys went to vac pumps now
they used a ck valve from one of the emissions setups cars came with
there was thinking they didnt work well with mufflers, the rev. that goes on in the exhaust system-i had just as good luck running breathers in both valve covers
on my LS engine, i used one of those twist in breathers where the oil filler goes, have not seen any leaks from manifold pressure, but not running real high boost
some guys tried using vac pumps off old caddys or other cars that came with diesel engines (no vac.) they used them for the power brakes
you could ****** one off for $10-20 bucks, run a hose from the v/c to a catch can, then to the pump, cheap, sort of worked i guess
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

i am planing on using the factory air pump as my vac pump, i will post a wirte up about it if and when my car is running
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phoenix
i am planing on using the factory air pump as my vac pump, i will post a wirte up about it if and when my car is running
It is well proven that the factory air pump does not produce enough vacuum or last long.

I have a pair of the pan vacs installed on my car and they work very well. The custom oil baffles on the valley cover had to be redesigned because they where pulling oil as a result of the amount of vacuum they produce at higher RPMs.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1290
I have a pair of the pan vacs installed on my car and they work very well. The custom oil baffles on the valley cover had to be redesigned because they where pulling oil as a result of the amount of vacuum they produce at higher RPMs.

What are pan vacs?

Quick Reply: crankcase evacuation?