LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

strange exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange exhaust sound

Hey everyone, I just installed a Hogan catless DP and a custom 2.5'' DP back exhaust with Magnaflows, with no resonator... i love the sound, however, under medium to hard acceleration i'm hearing what can best be described as a chirping sound coming from what sounds like the middle of the car... I haven't ruled out an exhaust leak just yet, but i don't think it is because i stuffed some rags in the tailpipes and listened underneath for a leak but didn't hear anything... a friend of mine suggested that it might just be an exhaust pulse and that's just the way it sounds... any ideas... its driving me insane... any info would be appreciated... thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Be sure the DP isn't rubbing on the edge of the back of the subframe. Also, with the catless DP you will tend to notice a slight ticking that may sound like a leak which is sometimes from a very light leak in the flex-pipe and also some noise from the exhuast hitting the now larger walls with no cat to muffle the sound. These are things that I noticed on my catless DP for my GTP and also on my SS. There was an option for a double wall flex-pipe on the DP for my SS that I got. Did you get a double wall flex or the standard?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Teching In

im pretty sure i got the double walled... i looked in before i installed it and there was a solid flex tube which looked like an accordion.. and theres steel mesh around it on the outside... im going to put it on a lift tomorrow and check it out... thanks for the input