View Full Version : Superior Automotive in Anaheim, CA?

wesfresh
10-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to see if any of you had any experience with this shop. I called for a dyno tune and they quoted me at $550 if I bring my own laptop/HPTuners and $750 if I didn't. I know generally you get what you pay for when it comes to cars but this sounds too expensive to me. I just want a base tune so I can put some break-in miles on my new motor and actually drive my car. I don't remember the guys name but he told me he's been tuning since the 90s and he offers a full money back customer satisfaction guarantee and I can come back when I get the motor broken in for some WOT tuning and anytime I do some mods to it I can get it reflashed. I don't want to drive the car while it's untuned so I'm going to have it towed. Anything near Santa Ana, CA will work, feel free to chime in!

Pntbll309
10-21-2009, 12:59 AM
If you have your own laptop and hp tuners, then why wouldnt you tune it? If you do not need them, then they should just rent out the dyno while you tune.

LustrousWS6
10-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Don't have any personal experience but never heard anything very good about them. They're literally two blocks from where I work and seem to have a decent mix of cars around and a decent flow of cars going in and out. They do advertise heavily on speed channel so who knows, they gotta be making some $$$. Hopefully someone with some experience from them can chime in and help you out but that whole thing with bringing your laptop or they'll charge u more seems ridiculous...

wesfresh
10-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Don't have any personal experience but never heard anything very good about them. They're literally two blocks from where I work and seem to have a decent mix of cars around and a decent flow of cars going in and out. They do advertise heavily on speed channel so who knows, they gotta be making some $$$. Hopefully someone with some experience from them can chime in and help you out but that whole thing with bringing your laptop or they'll charge u more seems ridiculous...

Yeah that's what threw me off. I hear most people spending a few hundred for a reputable tuner to put a base tune down. I don't understand why I should have to supply my own laptop in the first place. Shouldn't I just use my HPTuners login? They're a big shop so they should have it right? I almost shit my pants when he said $750 for a tune. I'm in Santa Ana so you're local to me Lustrous, do know of any more affordable/good tuners close by? The guy sounded like an older guy and assured me that he's the guy for the job and he also said he would show me how to use the program and teach me a little bit while he's doing it. I've never had a car dyno tuned but I would think that this is basically the regular procedure to make the customer feel like they got their moneys worth. I know the business and he sounded like a salesman to me. I also forget to mention that he said he was with socaltuning.com and he just works out of Superior Automotive. I forgot his name though :/

If you have your own laptop and hp tuners, then why wouldnt you tune it? If you do not need them, then they should just rent out the dyno while you tune.

Because I've dumped about $7000 on my motor and I don't want my car to be a guinea pig, I have ZERO tuning experience and I want a professional to handle it for me. I have no problem with spending a few hundred bucks to know that my car has been done right. I consider it cheap insurance, cause if I grenade this motor I'm definitely screwed :p

Gary Wells
10-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I recently had my '09 CTS-V dynoed at Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA, and I am certain that you will be extremely happy with their work ethics, work attitude, your results, and the price. It is possible that the readings that you get from Church Automotive Testing (CAT) will be approximately 6%-8% higher than you would probably get from a Dynojet as they use a Dyno-Pack dyno exclusively. they ares sometimes open Sundays as their schedule requires / needs. A DynoPack dyno requires that the rear wheels and tires are removed and the 2 dynos hook directly up to the rear hubs. They charged me $80 for a base run of 3 pulls, they explained everything, they stay extremely busy (a good sign) and are great people to work with. Google Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA. Tell them that I recommended them. Owners name is Shawn, & 3 other operators. They use both HP Tuners and EFI Live. Their prices are quoted on their website. Nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ECM for $200, believe me. Good tuners are getting about $550 or so for a base run to find out where you are at, and then as many runs as necessary to dial your car in.
They are the best that I know of. HTH

87silverbullet
10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
I recently had my '09 CTS-V dynoed at Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA, and I am certain that you will be extremely happy with their work ethics, work attitude, your results, and the price. It is possible that the readings that you get from Church Automotive Testing (CAT) will be approximately 6%-8% higher than you would probably get from a Dynojet as they use a Dyno-Pack dyno exclusively. they ares sometimes open Sundays as their schedule requires / needs. A DynoPack dyno requires that the rear wheels and tires are removed and the 2 dynos hook directly up to the rear hubs. They charged me $80 for a base run of 3 pulls, they explained everything, they stay extremely busy (a good sign) and are great people to work with. Google Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA. Tell them that I recommended them. Owners name is Shawn, & 3 other operators. They use both HP Tuners and EFI Live. Their prices are quoted on their website. Nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ECM for $200, believe me. Good tuners are getting about $550 or so for a base run to find out where you are at, and then as many runs as necessary to dial your car in.
They are the best that I know of. HTH

I beg to differ on your "nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ecm for 200 bucks". Geoff at EPS will do a base tune for 200 and get you running and then you can come back and will only charge 300 more for the full tune because it is 500 for a full dynotune. This doesn't help the original poster any because Geoff is in Baton Rouge, LA.

Geoff used to be co-owner of Thunder racing and now has his own shop now. He has been tuning for years and uses HPtuners and EFIlive.

Gary Wells
10-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I beg to differ on your "nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ecm for 200 bucks". Geoff at EPS will do a base tune for 200 and get you running and then you can come back and will only charge 300 more for the full tune because it is 500 for a full dynotune. This doesn't help the original poster any because Geoff is in Baton Rouge, LA.

Geoff used to be co-owner of Thunder racing and now has his own shop now. He has been tuning for years and uses HPtuners and EFIlive.

OK, 87silverbullet, let's try this again:
In the cars that I play in & with, (TurboBuicks & Cadillac CTS-V's), (mine being a '87 Turbo Buick, a '02 ZO6 DD, & a '09 CTS-V), none of the Republik of Kalifornication dyno shops that I am aware of do what you are referring to as a base tune. It's generally a baseline, generally consisting of 2 or 3 dyno runs to determine where your car is at for modification purposes, or they do a full tune. Full tunes out here generally go for about $450-$700, depending upon the car and how many runs are required to reset parameters. The better the rep of the tuner, the more expensive and the harder it is to get an appointment. This would definitely apply to both the vette set & the Cad CTS-V crowd, but not the turbo Buick crowd, as there just aren't that many turbo Buick tuners around to establish a price, and a turbo Buick just doesn't have that much to adjust to. You burn the chip, set a few parameters, and that's it.
Hope that this helps clarify my previous statement.

87silverbullet
10-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I guess tuners out there are a lil different than here. Geoff is a good tuner. He has tuned most of the fastest cars that have come out of Thunder over the years.

Its relatively easy to get a tune here I called on a Wednesday and was on the dyno that Saturday. We drove it around to get the street tune and then put it on the dyno to check the power output and finally we tuned the 2 stages of nitrous I have on the car. It cost me a total of 650.00 (150.00 extra for the nitrous pulls).

I have 87 t-type also and there is more to than just "burning a chip and setting a few parameters".

Gary Wells
10-25-2009, 12:08 PM
87SilverBullet:
What are you running on your '87 turbo Buick?

10-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I had my H/c done there and they do great work for sure. Their tuner is Sean Ellis who is pretty exprerienced. I would let him tune my car.

Slowhawk
10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
To compare we would charge you $450-$500 to do the startup and tune on a new motor.The car would leave here 100% but we'd want you to redyno after 500 miles to verify. Bringing your own software to have us tune it saves nothing.If you wanted to tune it the cost would be $150hr for dyno time.

87silverbullet
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
87SilverBullet:
What are you running on your '87 turbo Buick?

I'm still running the stock pcm. I have street and race chips from Red armstrong and PTE. That was a long time ago.

I lost my T-type to Hurricane Katrina. I planned on putting it back together and bought a race motor, put in a 10 point chromoly cage, and notched the frame rails. Now its all for sale.:(

wesfresh
10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
OK, 87silverbullet, let's try this again:
In the cars that I play in & with, (TurboBuicks & Cadillac CTS-V's), (mine being a '87 Turbo Buick, a '02 ZO6 DD, & a '09 CTS-V), none of the Republik of Kalifornication dyno shops that I am aware of do what you are referring to as a base tune. It's generally a baseline, generally consisting of 2 or 3 dyno runs to determine where your car is at for modification purposes, or they do a full tune. Full tunes out here generally go for about $450-$700, depending upon the car and how many runs are required to reset parameters. The better the rep of the tuner, the more expensive and the harder it is to get an appointment. This would definitely apply to both the vette set & the Cad CTS-V crowd, but not the turbo Buick crowd, as there just aren't that many turbo Buick tuners around to establish a price, and a turbo Buick just doesn't have that much to adjust to. You burn the chip, set a few parameters, and that's it.
Hope that this helps clarify my previous statement.

I talked to Mike at Haddad Motorsports and he quoted me $200 for a base tune and $600 for a full tune but they're busy with SEMA for the next few weeks. I'm low on funds so I think I might just save up and wait. He also gave me a lot of good info too and he seems like a good honest guy.

nevrlift13
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I talked to Mike at Haddad Motorsports and he quoted me $200 for a base tune and $600 for a full tune but they're busy with SEMA for the next few weeks. I'm low on funds so I think I might just save up and wait. He also gave me a lot of good info too and he seems like a good honest guy.

do urself a favor and take it to cms in lake elsinore....sean ellis "spcecilizes" in modular fords....

nevrlift13
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM

WHERES the RACEPREP plug ryan....??????:gruffy:

LustrousWS6
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
WHERES the RACEPREP plug ryan....??????:gruffy:

No race-prep plug here. But I can wholeheartedly recommend Tad over at Haddad. I've always been very happy with his tuning. Haven't had any personal experience with any other sponsors on the board so I can't comment on them.

nevrlift13
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
No race-prep plug here. But I can wholeheartedly recommend Tad over at Haddad. I've always been very happy with his tuning. Haven't had any personal experience with any other sponsors on the board so I can't comment on them.

lighten up francis...

Damian
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Sounds like they have the limited version that requires them to purchase credits for each vehicle they tune. Hence the reason it'd be cheaper if they used your credits.

I'd take it somewhere else, especially if a shop said "bring your own tuning software and it'll be cheaper".

Moving this to the regional section for more responses.

Ryne @ CMS
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
do yourself a favor go to a shop that specializes in GM, and their computers. either me or any other reputable gm tuning shop.....

travie319
10-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Go to CMS....they have all the software and tune a shitload of GM stuff.

SoCal WS6
10-30-2009, 06:49 PM
If I spent that much on my car, I would spend the $18 in gas to drive to CMS. Actually it wouldn't cost you anything in gas, because Ryne doesn't charge as much as your being quoted.

XpEdItIoUs
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Go to CMS....they have all the software and tune a shitload of GM stuff.

Chris you only pop up only to say "Go To CMS". Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see you engage in some conversation once in a while.

EkS
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
I've had work done on my Chevelle there. They're good at what they do, but I don't think I would let them tune my vette.

Just do what I did, and take it to CMS.

qboy
10-31-2009, 12:17 AM
First, don't go anywhere near Superior. They made multiple mistakes on my car and also told me my car was tuned and let me take it home surging very badly and told me the computer would learn within 50 miles. It didn't learn. They also tuned it with a Predator. They don't know what's going on except for old school hot rods with carbs.

As far as tuners, Haddad is one of the best plus he has a "Dynapack" load bearing dyno which makes part throttle driving adjustments way better than other dynos. Lots of tuners can tune full throttle but most of your driving is not with the pedal mashed down. I'd wait to make sure it's done correctly.

http://www.dynapack.com/

CaliforniaBoy5
10-31-2009, 04:27 AM
google "Shawn Ellis" or "socal tuning" or even put them together.. a lot of mustang threads with unhappy customers. I found these:

http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12279
http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/158085-do-not-buy-so-cal-tuning.html
http://socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6680&highlight=shawn+ellis

I'd steer clear and go to a GM shop.

travie319
10-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Chris you only pop up only to say "Go To CMS". Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see you engage in some conversation once in a while.

Your right Ivan, I haven't been on this board much lately...the shit talking has gotten pretty slow here...lol But I always see post like this and feel bad for these mis-guided people on the path to "Vehicle Hardship". Why not just send them to CMS and have them get the job done right the first time at a resonable price. I know there is other shops out there and I know most of their owners, but the truth is I believe in the CMS name and from personal experience have been taking care of nicely. (Man Juice and all):hump:

BTW....Ivan? How are the wife and kids and is your mom still stripping at the Silver Spur? Last time I visited her she was giving out $20 lap dances "a great deal, if ask me..." with such experience and flexability, it pretty hard to resist such a deal.:emb: Anyways...how's that for conversation engagement?:D :cheers:

nevrlift13
10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Your right Ivan, I haven't been on this board much lately...the shit talking has gotten pretty slow here...lol But I always see post like this and feel bad for these mis-guided people on the path to "Vehicle Hardship". Why not just send them to CMS and have them get the job done right the first time at a resonable price. I know there is other shops out there and I know most of their owners, but the truth is I believe in the CMS name and from personal experience have been taking care of nicely. (Man Juice and all):hump:

BTW....Ivan? How are the wife and kids and is your mom still stripping at the Silver Spur? Last time I visited her she was giving out $20 lap dances "a great deal, if ask me..." with such experience and flexability, it pretty hard to resist such a deal.:emb: Anyways...how's that for conversation engagement?:D :cheers:

LM MF ASS OFFFFF.....so wheres the silver spur at? :secret2:

bman49
10-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Yea go with CMS. I've never had any personal experience with them, but almost everyone I've talked to says CMS is the best. After I get enough money to build my motor, I'm going to drive it up to CMS for a tune.

Gary Wells
10-31-2009, 03:44 PM
What type of dyno does Haddad in Inglewood have: DynoJet or DynaPack?
How about CMS?

qboy
10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
How about CMS?

Dynapack. It's a much better tuning tool than a Dynojet.

mountainbiker2
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
First, don't go anywhere near Superior. They made multiple mistakes on my car and also told me my car was tuned and let me take it home surging very badly and told me the computer would learn within 50 miles. It didn't learn. They also tuned it with a Predator. They don't know what's going on except for old school hot rods with carbs.

http://www.dynapack.com/

I agree. There tuner is horrible. Plus Superior can't build engines either.

travie319
10-31-2009, 05:18 PM
How about CMS?

CMS has a DynoDynamics dyno...

Gary Wells
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Too many different types and manufacturers of dynos. I've only dynoed on DynaJet & dynopack so far. Less variables on the dynapack than on the dynajet.

haighter
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
CMS has a DynoDynamics dyno...

That is also Load Bearing Dyno. CMS also drives it on the street when they are done to make sure that all the driveability is 100% I have seen a lot of big 408/416/418 cammed cars come out of there that drive really nice. Not to mention he tuned my 403 with a big 252/260 on a 111 lsa cam WS6. It drove nice and made 780 on a 150 shot with pump gas! I cant wait for him to tune my new set up with my Procharger.

SS MPSTR
11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Less variables on the dynapack than on the dynajet.

Can you explain?

Gary Wells
11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Can you explain?

Basically, the Dynapack hooks directly up to the hubs, eliminating the rims & tires.

Hopefully, I won't get kicked off of the forum for this, but here's an article about it published and / or written by Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington.

http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/id12.html

qboy
11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
That is also Load Bearing Dyno.

No, it is not.

Ryne @ CMS
11-01-2009, 01:25 PM
No, it is not.

really its not? considering haighter used to be my employee he would know what dyno i have. our dyno is a load bearing dyno. it applies the load via a large eddy current retarder on the side on the dyno unit. i set the load to each vehicle by only only allowing car to accelerate at certain rate of speed (for example 8 kph per second) by doing that it places load on the car. (the lower amount of kph of acceleration more load there is). now that is for WOT pulls only. as for when i am dialing in a ve or maf table on the dyno, i have a acceleration and stabilization modes where i can hold the car at any given Kph and those fully load and fill in a ve/maf table. ( although i feel i get better results on street , then only on the dyno).. i can pretty much operate my dyno like a engine dyno, (which we all know is load based water brake system, like a dynapack). here is some more info on our dyno
http://www.dyno.com.au/dyno/controller/specs/show2WD450DSPage

maybe next time you should inform yourself better, before commenting.

travie319
11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
No, it is not.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2hyfm1f.jpg

SS MPSTR
11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
really its not? considering haighter used to be my employee he would know what dyno i have. our dyno is a load bearing dyno. it applies the load via a large eddy current retarder on the side on the dyno unit. i set the load to each vehicle by only only allowing car to accelerate at certain rate of speed (for example 8 kph per second) by doing that it places load on the car. (the lower amount of kph of acceleration more load there is). now that is for WOT pulls only. as for when i am dialing in a ve or maf table on the dyno, i have a acceleration and stabilization modes where i can hold the car at any given Kph and those fully load and fill in a ve/maf table. ( although i feel i get better results on street , then only on the dyno).. i can pretty much operate my dyno like a engine dyno, (which we all know is load based water brake system, like a dynapack). here is some more info on our dyno

Good explanation.

Gary Wells
11-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Ryne @ CMS:
Got any experience dynoing the '09 CTS'V's yet?
How does your DynoDynamics compare against any of the other dynos?
Generally dyno higher?
Generally dyno lower?
With everything else being equal, of course.

qboy
11-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Ryan, when your right, your right. After doing some research, which I should have done before, I stand corrected. When I saw a picture of the rollers on the Dyno Dynamics dyno, I figured it was another version of the Dyno-Jet. Your dyno is definately not just another Dyno-Jet. In all fairness, I've got to say to the original poster that since CMS does have a load bearing dyno and with all the support Ryan gets from previous customers, I'd say CMS would be the way to go. "LIVE AND LEARN" and "LOOK B4 I LEAP".

8tsixt
11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
^^ It takes a real man to admit his mistake^^ You have my respect.

haighter
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I dont think that the amount that someone charges makes them good or bad.. A Monkey using SnapOn doesnt make him a pro vs the tech that uses Matco or Mac.... I have known a lot of tuners charge upwards of $800 for a stock tune, and also see people get a speed density for $450 on a fully built FI car. I think the biggest thing is the tune, not the dyno. I have first hand seen cars make so much different power on different dynos and all the numbers are are numbers. I dont care if my car makes 350 rwhp or 1100 rwhp if the thing traps 155 mph and does it in 9.1 thats what really counts. I feel racing dynos or dyno sheets if for people that dont know a thing about racing anything but there mouths and wallets. I know that no one can tell the difference on there butt dyno where you gain or lose 5 or even 10rwhp on a 3400lb car. If you think you can your wrong. There is more lost in then 5 rwhp that you will lose from pull to pull because of just heat soak...

The point is that Ryne is a good tuner, there are others out there. But why take your stuff where people dont have years upon years of R&D into LSX cars. If anyone fallows these forums would know that shops come and go and people get cheated. Take your car to a shop that you can trust and where they stands behind there work!

SS MPSTR
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Take your car to a shop that you can trust and where they stand behind their work!

That really sums it up well.

ls1ya
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
cms, i guess. i heard haddad blew a couple of motors and theres no guarantee on dyno tuning. but i have also seen some shit they did and have been totally impressed.
haighter said it right though

Ryne @ CMS
11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Ryne @ CMS:
Got any experience dynoing the '09 CTS'V's yet?
How does your DynoDynamics compare against any of the other dynos?
Generally dyno higher?
Generally dyno lower?
With everything else being equal, of course.

no experience on a 09 ctsv, but i have experience on the new zr1, similiar but not the same.... but i am very experienced with the newer e38 and e67 pcms that are in the newer vettes, and other gm cars, such as yours. as far as far as my dyno, my reads about the same as a dynojet 224 maybe a tad lower if there is any variations.

Ryne @ CMS
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Ryan, when your right, your right. After doing some research, which I should have done before, I stand corrected. When I saw a picture of the rollers on the Dyno Dynamics dyno, I figured it was another version of the Dyno-Jet. Your dyno is definately not just another Dyno-Jet. In all fairness, I've got to say to the original poster that since CMS does have a load bearing dyno and with all the support Ryan gets from previous customers, I'd say CMS would be the way to go. "LIVE AND LEARN" and "LOOK B4 I LEAP".

no problem bro, now you know the kind of dyno it is

Ryne @ CMS
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
cms, i guess. i heard haddad blew a couple of motors and theres no guarantee on dyno tuning. but i have also seen some shit they did and have been totally impressed.
haighter said it right though

be careful of what you hear, alot people like to blame the tuner for there mistakes, because they were the last person to touch the car... but for example if a guy comes in for a tune and he has done all his own work. then while tuning the motor eats a lifter, and eats the cam and what not, they automatically blame the tuner, "well he was tuning it when it happened, it must be him" well maybe the preload was wrong? maybe the rockers werent torque or set properly? i say talk to the tuner, and feel them out, regardless of who they are, hear both sides of every story.

wesfresh
11-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Going to see if I can schedule a tow truck for tomorrow to CMS

Soul TKR
11-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Going to see if I can schedule a tow truck for tomorrow to CMS

You won't be sorry. Besides knowing these cars from top to bottom Ryne stands behind his work.

callys
11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
I used Haddad, was impressed. I did not know about CMS at the time, but I hear nothing but good things about them from the crew of guys that meets up at the In n Out down here.

Haddad recently switched Dynapack software/configuration to a very conservative setup. If you are looking for a number...this is not the place to go. From what I have seen on youtube, A&A Corvette is a great place to go for numbers. Or make a pull on JBA's dyno.