Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the LQ4 motor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Questions about the LQ4 motor.

First being, will pre-04 LQ4 motors bolt up to the 4L60E? I heard once from someone that they wont due to a spacer in the flywheel/crank.

Secondly, What is the deal with the LQ4 heads? Are they LS1 heads? If not then are they any better than LS1 heads? I believe their Compression is lower than LS1's so they're probably not the same heads, that or the pistons arn't the same. Why are they rated 25 HP less than the LS1 when its supposedly the same motor only in cast iron?

Third, What would be a budget complete N/A build for 450 RWHP out of a LQ4? What kind of heads / cam would you recommend?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
First being, will pre-04 LQ4 motors bolt up to the 4L60E? I heard once from someone that they wont due to a spacer in the flywheel/crank.

Secondly, What is the deal with the LQ4 heads? Are they LS1 heads? If not then are they any better than LS1 heads? I believe their Compression is lower than LS1's so they're probably not the same heads, that or the pistons arn't the same. Why are they rated 25 HP less than the LS1 when its supposedly the same motor only in cast iron?

Third, What would be a budget complete N/A build for 450 RWHP out of a LQ4? What kind of heads / cam would you recommend?
Ill take a stab at this:

#1: There isn't a spacer, but the crank sealing lip is a bigger/wider than the '04 up (For some reason i thought it was '03 up)

#2: You are right, compression, compression, compression. You can mill the heads to get that extra oomph that lacks the LS

#3: Not to sure as i have no real world experience with them. However I was researching LQ's before i found my LS1. With that being said, I read that the 5.3 head flow 300+/CFM in stock form and make for excellent stock heads to throw onto the LQ4. As for a cam, you'll have to decide what else you want from it...

-Someone correct me if I am wrong...

-Justin
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Ill take a stab at this:

#1: There isn't a spacer, but the crank sealing lip is a bigger/wider than the '04 up (For some reason i thought it was '03 up)

#2: You are right, compression, compression, compression. You can mill the heads to get that extra oomph that lacks the LS

#3: Not to sure as i have no real world experience with them. However I was researching LQ's before i found my LS1. With that being said, I read that the 5.3 head flow 300+/CFM in stock form and make for excellent stock heads to throw onto the LQ4. As for a cam, you'll have to decide what else you want from it...

-Someone correct me if I am wrong...

-Justin
I see, so LQ4's prior to 03/04 will NOT bolt up to the 4L60E correct? What about the T56?

What are the specs between the LS1 and LQ4 heads? Will LS3 heads make for a good replacement on the LQ4 followed with a mild cam?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

I see, so LQ4's prior to 03/04 will NOT bolt up to the 4L60E correct? What about the T56?

What are the specs between the LS1 and LQ4 heads? Will LS3 heads make for a good replacement on the LQ4 followed with a mild cam?
Actually I have an 02 LQ4 in my Camaro and my 4L60 bolted right up, only some of the engines had a larger lip on the back of the crankshaft. This is just one of the things to look for when you go looking at these engines. The 6.0 heads (casting 317 iirc) have larger combustion chambers then LS1 heads (casting 241,853) but the LQ4 also has dished pistons being the only difference between an LQ9 (flat-top pistons) and LQ4.

LS3 heads would be a great option, but would need milled considerably to get the compression up and you'd still be at a loss due to the dished pistons. Keep in mind that the LS3 heads will require different rocker arms, and intake manifold so this may not be as budget minded as you might want. When I build mine I swapped out the pistons for some Mahle flat-tops to get compression up and used the LS1 heads I had laying around. With the TSP 233/239 cam I put 420hp down to the wheels everthing else being pretty stock.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Actually I have an 02 LQ4 in my Camaro and my 4L60 bolted right up, only some of the engines had a larger lip on the back of the crankshaft. This is just one of the things to look for when you go looking at these engines. The 6.0 heads (casting 317 iirc) have larger combustion chambers then LS1 heads (casting 241,853) but the LQ4 also has dished pistons being the only difference between an LQ9 (flat-top pistons) and LQ4.

LS3 heads would be a great option, but would need milled considerably to get the compression up and you'd still be at a loss due to the dished pistons. Keep in mind that the LS3 heads will require different rocker arms, and intake manifold so this may not be as budget minded as you might want. When I build mine I swapped out the pistons for some Mahle flat-tops to get compression up and used the LS1 heads I had laying around. With the TSP 233/239 cam I put 420hp down to the wheels everthing else being pretty stock.
I see. LS1 Heads it will be in that case. Did you change the valve springs for that cam or are your heads completely stock? The only problem is the LQ4's I'm looking at are all on Ebay so there's no way I would be able to tell if they would have the larger lip or not, in fact I wouldn't even know exactly what the larger lip looks like as I've never seen the smaller lip lol. I still think an LQ4 would be a much better choice than an LS1 due to the slightly cheaper price and larger displacement. Where did you get your LQ4 block and how did you know the difference in the lip size?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 317 heads on the LQ4 and LQ9 are based off the LS6 head with larger combustion chambers. They flow pretty much identical to the LS6 heads which are a step above the LS1 heads. Because of their larger chambers they're one of the best picks for forced induction applications.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Its the 99-2000 LQ4's that use the spacer, 01+ will work just fine.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OUTLWZ
Its the 99-2000 LQ4's that use the spacer, 01+ will work just fine.
Thats correct, the 01+ lq4's do have a spacer though if it was mated to a
4l80e transmission, but it comes right off, where as the earlier ones it was cast into the crank.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss454327
The 317 heads on the LQ4 and LQ9 are based off the LS6 head with larger combustion chambers. They flow pretty much identical to the LS6 heads which are a step above the LS1 heads. Because of their larger chambers they're one of the best picks for forced induction applications.
What about running N/A? What would be a good cam choice to run with these? I MIGHT go forced induction but it will be much later and most likely just a procharger so I want a N/A cam for now. - Also will I need to replace the valve springs?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

I see. LS1 Heads it will be in that case. Did you change the valve springs for that cam or are your heads completely stock? The only problem is the LQ4's I'm looking at are all on Ebay so there's no way I would be able to tell if they would have the larger lip or not, in fact I wouldn't even know exactly what the larger lip looks like as I've never seen the smaller lip lol. I still think an LQ4 would be a much better choice than an LS1 due to the slightly cheaper price and larger displacement. Where did you get your LQ4 block and how did you know the difference in the lip size?
You'll have to change valve springs with any cam you put in, other then that yes the heads are stock. I forget the measurements but if you've seen the back of an LS1 the larger lip is pretty obvious. The only other thing I had to do was drill and tap a hole in the front of the block for the alternator bracket, as trucks use a different accesory drive (but this is a really easy fix). I got my LQ4 block and crank off of another member here on LS1tech, just kept watching the for sale section. Unless you are going forced induction, I'd be milling down the 6.0 heads or putting on LS1 or LS6 heads. Everything will just work out for the better by at least getting compression up to 10:1, off the shelf LS1 cams are designed for this.

I think you're on the right track, LS1s are a great engine but I'd go the iron 6.0 route again. Besides if you use the stock bottom end in a LQ4 you'll easily get a couple rebuilds out of an iron block, just not the case with an LS1 you'd be lucky to get one.

Quick Reply: Questions about the LQ4 motor.