Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best heads on a stock lq9???

Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best heads on a stock lq9???

I have to do the rings and heads in my SS. Only upgrades as of now are headers and exhaust minus cats and a custom intake. Would a set of 243s or slightly worked 317s work better on the stock motor? Or what would?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Just about any heads you could swap to would raise your compression. Some ported 243s would bump you up in compression and flow better. Sorry I can't remember your stock compression on your LQ9, but if you want to get the most out of your efforts this is what I'd do.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Just about any heads you could swap to would raise your compression. Some ported 243s would bump you up in compression and flow better. Sorry I can't remember your stock compression on your LQ9, but if you want to get the most out of your efforts this is what I'd do.
C/r is 10.5:1. How would they raise the compression if they weren't milled?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevySS
C/r is 10.5:1. How would they raise the compression if they weren't milled?
243s have smaller combustion chambers, and I'm going off memory but I think that should put you just over 11.5:1. 243s are 64cc, 317s are 72 iirc
Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Will it work with the stock lq9 cam?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevySS
Will it work with the stock lq9 cam?
Why wouldn't it? You'll get more power, but like any combo the cam will determine how the engine will act and make power. If you want to know if it will bolt together and work without issue, yes. If you want to know if it will make anywhere near the performance it could with a cam change, no. Cam selection gets into what you really want to do with the truck/engine combo, personally if I was going through the trouble of changing heads I'd look into a cam that matches more the RPM band you want to make power in and change that too. The stock cam would leave a lot on the table, but cam selection is a totally other topic.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Why wouldn't it? You'll get more power, but like any combo the cam will determine how the engine will act and make power. If you want to know if it will bolt together and work without issue, yes. If you want to know if it will make anywhere near the performance it could with a cam change, no. Cam selection gets into what you really want to do with the truck/engine combo, personally if I was going through the trouble of changing heads I'd look into a cam that matches more the RPM band you want to make power in and change that too. The stock cam would leave a lot on the table, but cam selection is a totally other topic.
I will probably do the cam after december. I don't have the cash for it right now. Plus I would want springs, rods, manifold, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best heads on a stock lq9???