Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise from newly installed gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from newly installed gears

Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice. Here's the story:

I have a "nearly stock" 99 Z28 M6. The 10 bolt was growling at low speed a few months ago, so I had it looked at by the local rear end shop. They said that the pinion bearing was too tight and it would be good to rebuild the whole thing with new seals, bearings, etc. I agreed to having it fixed, and in the process, they stated that they could install new gears at no extra labor cost to me. They put in some 4.10's. They up sold me on Genuine GM gears, because they aren't supposed to make noise. Well, to say the least, they are very loud. At 50 mph it starts, and at 65 mph it stops. It doesn't make noise with the clutch in at those speeds, but when I apply 25% throttle it is louder than my music. I have taken the car back to the shop 3 times so far with different problems, first time they didn't put the right pinion seal in it, and the next two were regarding my noise complaints. It still has not changed. They say that there were no metal shavings, and the wear pattern looked right. I just don't know what to do because I was charged an arm and two legs and haven't gotten what was promised to me. What should I do/What do you think is wrong?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

There is no black magic to rear ends, if you just slam in the old shims and torque everything down you are rolling the dice. The pattern tells all.... generally you will have a little noise with 4:10's but if ti is really load the set up is not perfect and going to make noise. back lash, Preload and pattern are keys to a quiet rear end. Maybe they had to get motive gears or richmond, which are noisy. at our shop we use yukon gears from randys ring and pinion and they all weem to be real strong and quiet. A Little howl is expected but not excessive noise. my guess is the pinoin depth is not correct.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

the right pinion seal....wtf... take a picture of the pattern. Im sure the pinion depth is wrong.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

There were two pinion seals for the 98-02 f bodies, a double lib and a triple lip. The double lip is usually what comes in a rebuild kit, but mine happened to be the triple lip one. With the wrong one in, it leaks like a ****. I'll see if I can get some pics.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAS1998
There is no black magic to rear ends, if you just slam in the old shims and torque everything down you are rolling the dice. The pattern tells all.... generally you will have a little noise with 4:10's but if ti is really load the set up is not perfect and going to make noise. back lash, Preload and pattern are keys to a quiet rear end. Maybe they had to get motive gears or richmond, which are noisy. at our shop we use yukon gears from randys ring and pinion and they all weem to be real strong and quiet. A Little howl is expected but not excessive noise. my guess is the pinoin depth is not correct.
What DAS said! If they used original AAM gears, the pattern is very different. If it were me, I'd take to another shop that really knows rears and have it set up correctly.

Quick Reply: Noise from newly installed gears