Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring Question

I currently have the pro kit on my car and I want to raise the back up and put coilovers on the front. I was thinking about doing v6 springs on the back and have a couple of questions. Are all the years the same for fitment from 93 and up? Since it is mostly set up for drag racing would you consider them being an upgrade to stock trans am ones due to spring rates? If I found a couple sets at a junkyard is there anything specific I should look at to make sure there ok? And if the car has many miles that the springs are off of like 130k or more would that still be ok?
Bob
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

bump..anyone?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For 1998, V6 and base V8 cars have the same rear spring rates. If you had a 1LE suspension or an up level SLP suspension then there would be a difference.

However, anything would be better than the Prokit. They are way too soft and drop the car way too much. A stock ride height F-body will hook better than any dropped F-body because the control arms in the rear now point downward from the axle to the body so the anti-squat geometry is all wrong.

Plus the pro kit pretty much rides on the jounce bumpers which is not necessary the best set-up for any type of racing.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

I know all to well the ride is horrible my bumpstops are shot. I was thinking for now new rear springs and than eventually coilovers in the front and new shocks in the back. are the 98's the only ones that are the same?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just go out and buy a new set of V6 springs and then you won't have to worry about anything being wrong with them. Is there any specific reason why you want to do a set up like this vs a set of Koni's and strano springs?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Only reason really is I want better weight transfer and the MWC Fab9 needs room to fit and im pretty sure im puching it with the prokit and I cant find any springs really that will give me what im looking for with about a 1 inch drop or a lil less.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just go with a set of QA1's with the 300lb front springs and a set of new V6 springs for the rear. but if you went with the Koni Strano set up that will work for your weight transfer too.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbird01
Only reason really is I want better weight transfer and the MWC Fab9 needs room to fit and im pretty sure im puching it with the prokit and I cant find any springs really that will give me what im looking for with about a 1 inch drop or a lil less.
Hello
Just another suggestion for you! Anytime you run a aftermarket rear I would highly suggest going with a stock rear spring to allow enough clearance for the rear end housing. And just go with a good adjustable rear shock as well then. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, spring rate does not affect weight transfer as much as people think that they do. People confuse body motion with weight transfer and think that if the body moves more, more weight is being transferred. Well the body moves more because the softer springs have to compress farther to support the load of the weight transfer. So what that means is that it actually takes longer for the weight to transfer with softer springs because they have to compress further.

The Pro kit will drop your car a whole lot more than 1 inch.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbird01
You can go with stockers and do the heater hose mod which will get you a 3/4" drop or we offer a 550lb front and 160lb rear spring with a 1.25" drop. They have a lifetime guarantee against spring sag and can be purchased in pairs. Give me a call if you have any questions or would like to order a set.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!