Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire and t-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spare tire and t-tops?

Ok I am gonna be going to tracks next spring and got a few i think simple questions I couldn't find answered by searching.
1. T-tops: Is it better to take them off to loose weight or will this hurt you aerodynamically when you reach higher speeds?
2. Spare tire and jack I see is 37 pounds in the sticky thread above but with 285/40/17 Nitto 555 street tires, is it better to lose the weight or keep em to get more weight on the rear for a better launch?
3. Does it help to have your windows up for aerodynamics at higher speeds too or is it ok to leave them down? Last time I was at the track watching I've seen cars do it both ways.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have the money for a built rear end to run slicks or wide drag radials to go for awesome times just looking for the best set-up for a heads/cam street tire car that will only see the track 2-3 times a year. I also have BMR weld-in sub frame connecters, solid billet lower control arms, BMR adjustable panhard rod, ground control lowering system, and the factory SLP Bilstein package
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the T-tops on, take the spare out, always keep the windows up.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the track will let you run with your t tops out
Old 10-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Restricted User

As far as I know...T-tops must be on and convertible tops gotta be up....
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Windows, T-Tops, 'Vert Tops must be up and on. The track guy is not paying attention. Toss the tire and jack.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Yea I run at US41 which is quite possibly the most lenient track there is. And I left my drivers window down for one run and the tower radioed to the guy on the line to remind me to roll the window up. So your definatly gonna have to leave the t-tops on.

But I would imagine the aerodynamics wouldn't effect your times that much. One of those things where the faster your car is the more it would hurt you. I was told the reason for the windows needing to be rolled up is it could cause your back window to blow out, but its mostly for cars with lexon windows. But for street strip cars you don't want a mcdonalds receipt getting stuck to the front of your helmet at 120mph either.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
Yea I run at US41 which is quite possibly the most lenient track there is. And I left my drivers window down for one run and the tower radioed to the guy on the line to remind me to roll the window up. So your definatly gonna have to leave the t-tops on.

But I would imagine the aerodynamics wouldn't effect your times that much. One of those things where the faster your car is the more it would hurt you. I was told the reason for the windows needing to be rolled up is it could cause your back window to blow out, but its mostly for cars with lexon windows. But for street strip cars you don't want a mcdonalds receipt getting stuck to the front of your helmet at 120mph either.
haha good point, a reciept in your face wouldn't bed good
Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree I've gone 150mph + with my windows down and I had a plastic grocery bag in there. That thing got violent and flew all over the damn place.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I agree I've gone 150mph + with my windows down and I had a plastic grocery bag in there. That thing got violent and flew all over the damn place.
Remind me to stay off your highways... lol
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBandit69

You've never been to Immokalee in FL, lol... They don't have tech at all for tnt, and they let anything run..four wheelers etc.. its almost embarrassing...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Remind me to stay off your highways... lol
Ha the only things I worry about around here are deer, we have tons of open stretches that go for 5+ miles! Check it out bfe, washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JfLOqWFpT0