Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 spd guys. Please share your launching techniques.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 6 spd guys. Please share your launching techniques.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on this ls1. I've tried launching from as little as 2k, which results in bad bogging, and 4k which blows the tires off. I've gotten the hang of riding the clutch out a bit and am able to get consistent 2.0 60' times on the street tires. Problem is when I tried drag radials, I couldn't improve on those short times. I tried going up to 4500 rpms and it only bogged the motor. I'm not willing to go to 5500 on the stock rear. What am I doing wrong? What else can I do?
Old 12-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't be racing if you're afraid of breaking things. If you launch at 4500 on nittos and it bogs, launch higher and higher till you find that spot. With my car and the stock clutch I was launching at 4k on nittos and getting dead hooks for low 1.8 60ft's.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave,

you haven't tried drag racing the car with drag rad's since you put the long tubes on. Your making alot more power now, tach that sucker to 3500-4000 and side step the clutch and put the hammer down. If that won't allow a sub 2.00 then it's your fault somehow, IMO.
Of course you could let me drive it a couple of runs
Put the BFG's back on it and leave them there, Fred
Old 12-07-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

ifn i can get soem 1.94s on street tires, den yo cna do it on drag radials...

You dont give it no damn time just liek when you said your LS1 was slow in the 14s
Old 12-08-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I bring the revs up to 4500 and dump the clutch but dont hit the gas untill the car starts to move forward , then hit the gas. I get consistent 1.71to 75 60 fts. I have 315x35x17 Nittos on 17x9.5 wheels but I have hooked and went quicker on 16 inch wheels . My best is a 1.67 On Nittos and backed it up with an exact 1.678 back to back passes. The best has been at No problem raceway but I have done low 1.7's at 2 other local tracks. State capital in baton rouge and Hub city in Hattiesburg ,MS.
Just dont dump and stab the gas as it shocks the tires to hard and they will spin. Just let the car move out a little and then hit the gas. I have helped several others with this method and they have all seen 1.7's to 1.8's ,Just depends on how you want to push your car. One thing to do is remove the front sway bar at the track . mine stays off year round but I run in street trim other then the sway bar.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave

You are opening a can-of-worms by asking this question.

Track prep: good -- bad

If you spin out of the hole, either drop the tire pressure a pound at a time (on DR below 15 psi isn't good) or drop your launch RPMs

If you bog out of the hole, either raise your launch RPMs or add a pound of air in the tires.

Practice does make "better" (in drag racing nothing is "perfect" there is always tomorrow)

Question comes to mind on your intensions? Drag; street or street/drag?

Stock clutch?
Stock rear-end?
Suspension?

You can set up an M6 that will do great 60' that will also run on street. Get a good clutch (prefer McCleod single or twin; the single disk is more street friendly); beef up the suspension (don't buy cheap); if you can afford it, get a 12-bolt (if not make sure you're ready to buy one).

Even on D/R, I could launch at 5400 rmp. Good to 1.70 on our shitty track. Now on ET Drags, 5800 dump (nothing gradual about me coming out of the whole). Like I said. All depends on what you want out of the car.

Good luck

David
Old 12-08-2003, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that there are many variables that go into driving a manual but let's just assume that the track is well treated and I'm on drag tires. I do have a stock clutch so I'm not too sure how much that will hold. I don't think it will take a 5k clutch drop though. I've gotten accustomed to riding the clutch a little bit with the street tires but that doesn't seem to work with the bfgs. I will either toast the clutch or bog badly.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

it's all in the suspension man.

i had the same wicked evil problem with mine for years, and just recently have i fixed it. i couldnt even hook 28x12.50' et streets to save my life.

the new setup,

rear: eibach springs, sphon relocation brackets, ME 9", madman phr, stock tq arm, 4.33's, metco LCA's stock shocks, ~4XX on motor 275/40/17 nitto drags @ 20 psi.

front: hals set on 2 !swaybar. and i finally got the stance right with the ride height. pretty low. also have the battery in the back, as well as 1/4 tank of gas.

w/ a mild burnout, i can dead hook on the street @ 2100 RPM's

if you're spinnin, address your suspension first. thats usually the culprit on the 6 speed cars. my problem ended up being chopped rear springs that caused the 10 bolt housing to bend, along w/ the relocation brackets that came w/ the metco's, the PHR, and brace too. pretty gay traction problem. it's fixed now, and i cant wait to spray it out of the hole at the track finally.

Last edited by Vents; 12-08-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I can leave at 4000 on the street and leave a 2 ft black mark on each side. No bog and very little spin.