Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck coil/truck TB fitment issues on Fbody setup, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default truck coil/truck TB fitment issues on Fbody setup, need some input

I forgot that I had the truck coils and that I would run into problems mounting them with Fbody fuel rails, so I'm going to have to figure something out. I know I heard that you can bend the fuel rails a little to make the truck coils fit, but that can't be a very good solution, can it? And I'm not even sure that it would work with my setup anyways because I'm using some Russell compression fittings on the fuel rail, so they stick out a little further than stock fuel lines anyways. Am I going to have to get Fbody coils? And another question, will Fbody coils fit on the truck coil brackets, or do I need to get the Fbody brackets AND coils?

You can see the bolt holes are a little more than 1" off from where they should be to mount the coil bracket. I'm guessing I'm going to HAVE to get car coils?

And this question I have regards anyone using a truck throttle body. Isn't this outlet on the TB supposed to be for the PCV system or something like that? If so, there's no way I can get the rubber hose on the nipple because the front bolt for the throttle cable bracket is in the way. Did anyone else experience this issue? What did you do about it?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

whats the inside diameter of the truck tb? also whats it off of? also why not make some tabs to move it down a half inch or an inch? i used two pieces of flat bar aluminum and bolted them on using them not the prettiest thing in the world but works great
Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure what the inner diameter is, but its off a 2000 LQ4. I suppose I could make some tabs or something to re-locate the truck coils, but I'm afraid they will be hanging off the outter sides of the valve covers which wouldn't look very good.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I agree its not the pretiest thing in the world but if you do it to both sides its more apealing to the eyes that way then with just one side sunk down. alo if you could get some information on the inner diameter on the tb and it is indeed 85mm like im thinking that be something id really want to swap to. good luck with however you decide to do the coils
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Launching!

I will try to figure out how to measure the inner diameter for you and post it up. I am also thinking about just trying to bend the fuel rail a bit to fit the truck coils because I was just informed that fbody coils hit the HVAC box on the passenger side in a 3rd gen swap.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just get a coil relocation kit, it'll cost ya but it will be clean and you wont have to bend fuel rails. just my $0.02.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I would but my swap funding has just about been depleted. My goal is to get it running by Thanksgiving and I still need exhaust fabbed up and it will need a tune, and my bargaining power with my wife is running real low at this point lol
Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlueZee28
I would but my swap funding has just about been depleted. My goal is to get it running by Thanksgiving and I still need exhaust fabbed up and it will need a tune, and my bargaining power with my wife is running real low at this point lol
i know that feeling I burt up all my play fund and cant tag my car now sucks being a broke college kid. looks like youll hav a sick car when its done tho
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just bend the fuel rail line slightly. and also u can clock the pcv tube on tb. take some pliers to it and twist with care. the tube is steel and pressed to the alum body. or remove the tube and plug or cut down for clearance.
i had my fuel rail bent for yrs. and have done to various cars running truck coil packs and brackets. just take the time to do correct.