PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of engine control and programming to use?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of engine control and programming to use?

First off, I am a newly registered member of this forum looking for some guidance. My car is a 1980 Olds Cutlass that I have owned for over 22years.

I have just sold my BBC drivetrain including TH400 tranny and am planning to swap in an L92 engine with T56 over the winter. I am planning some minor upgrades to the engine including a fairly stout cam and a valvespring change.
In the future, other changes will likely follow...

I have several questions that I need to have answers to:
1. Should I purchase my new engine with factory harness and computer?
2. What software should I use for programming changes.
3. Are the Mast Motorsports M90 controller and wiring harnesses reliable and easy to use?
4. Is there software available for the M90 controller that I could use to make changes later?
5. Would the Mast harness be that much easier to connect than the factory one? (I am not a wiring wizard...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Since nobody is replying I'll give you my 2 cents. I don't know about aftermarket harnesses except that my buddy got his from a guy that races LSx cars so it's perfect for his swap into his 72 vette. It's already cut down to the basics. You might consider a speed density tune to make it a little easier, unless you want to run a MAF. I have HP tuners and I think it's a great program. As with any tuner program, you have to scour these sites to learn all you can because there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide to tuning that I've seen.

Don't worry about the wiring, it's not too hard. Just don't expect the engine compartment to look as good as a carb'd one unless you spend alot of time on it. Good luck
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your input!
I guess for now I will try to grab the computer and harness with the engine and go that route first. If I really struggle, I can always go the aftermarket way.
I'll try to do a bit more reading on the speed density versus MAF tuning. I didn't realize there would be that big of a difference.
One thing that I found was 'The Tuning school'. I think they have correspondance courses that look pretty interesting. SInce I am starting from scratch and really don't have any local support that I know of, I will likely need to become my own expert....looking forward to learning something new though!

Search this Thread