Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Insurance Claim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance Claim?

How should i handle this, some how the car has gotten covered in what looks like white traffic line paint. Its speckled from frt to bk and WILL NOT COME OFF. I can scrape it off the windows with a razor blade but every place else its burned in hard. The stripes on the hood and rear deck are speckled with it and when you try to remove it you can't, its burnt into the plastic. Insurance cliam???? what should i do? I'm guessing at least 5k in damage. Plus i have no idea what or how it happened. I did pass a line painting crew a few weeks ago but they were going the other way and i really didn't think much about it.

DAM IT!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure if insurance will pay for you running over the yellow line after it was painted but i guess you could try.

Maybe color sanding and buffing?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

i did the same thing in my old car the insurance wouldn't do anything about it so then i went to the city hall where it happened and i told them that there was no cones or anything directing me away and they gave me the citys road services # to call them and make a claim but then i went home and tried some bug and tar remover and it came off so i never bothered calling them but that was a metal car not plastic, I would try the samething go to the city where it happen hope this helps good luck
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

Its white not yellow and i didn't drive over any lines. I'm guessing it came from the line painting trucks that passed me going the other way. I didn't pass them.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by O2Form
Its white not yellow and i didn't drive over any lines. I'm guessing it came from the line painting trucks that passed me going the other way. I didn't pass them.
white sorry
Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheHawk23
i did the same thing in my old car the insurance wouldn't do anything about it so then i went to the city hall where it happened and i told them that there was no cones or anything directing me away and they gave me the citys road services # to call them and make a claim but then i went home and tried some bug and tar remover and it came off so i never bothered calling them but that was a metal car not plastic, I would try the samething go to the city where it happen hope this helps good luck
^sounds good. 02Form you didnt mention what you have actually tried to get it off, you just say it cant be done. if you haven't already, i'd highly recommend Goof Off, stuff works great. i got some black paint on my car while doing the CETA mod on my red trans am and by the time i cleaned it off it had already been on the car for a couple days. the goof off took it right off and dosent affect the paints finish/clear coat.

or are you just trying to get some money out of this? for 5k you could practically buy another car. it wouldn't cost anymore than 3k to get the car completely repainted.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Banned

5 k for a 02 formula with 44 thous miles on it? I don't think so.... the car was like new...its a mess now. I took some cleaner wax to the stripes on the hood and the white paint doesn't come off, it seems to be burnt into the the stripes themselfs. I think its some lind of epoxy paint. I want to give you an example how tough this crap is...it ruined the wiper blades. Its also over EVERYTHING wiper arms etc everything has white speckles on it. The only thing that remioved it from the windows was a scraping it with a eazor blade, wax and other cleaner do nothing.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can use a clay bar, sells at walmart and all other auto parts stores. It will remove all paint speckles on windshield and all painted surfaces. I don't know about the plastic parts. spray the lubricant on the car then go over that area with the clay bar, comes off easy. Then rinse off with a wash mit or sponge with water. Even if the paint sits on car for entire week it will still come off. I've done a car that was completly covered both sides of car. Came off no problem. I think it was 4 or 5 hours. Car washes will charge about $200.00 or more. The spray and clay bar costs about $18
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Someone was nice enough to put a large scratch on the windshield last night after i used a razor blade to clean the paint off. I'm sure it was a neighbor, he seen me out there cleaning it off. Nice huh? Hes going be very unhappy tomorrow morning when he wakes up.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone was nice enough to put a large scratch on the windshield last night after i used a razor blade to clean the paint off. I'm sure it was a neighbor, he seen me out there cleaning it off. Nice huh? Hes going be very unhappy tomorrow morning when he wakes up.
Sure it wasn't you that put the scratch with the razor blade? Not saying the razor blade was a bad idea, I have used that hundreds of times myself but it can scratch.

Why would your neighbor have done anything? Is there a back story? You may be the sorry one if you find out it wasn't him and you did whatever you did to his property.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance (assuming you have full coverage) should cover this. If they don't your insurance sucks @ss.

My wife just had to get her GTO fixed from some parking lot mishap. Since she wasn't in the car at the time she can't be found at fault therefore we didn't get insurance raised or anything just had to pay the deductible.

More than likely you were parked somewhere and something was getting painted and got over spray on your car. Happened to my LT1 before I bought it and NO nothing would take it off...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by McNord
Sure it wasn't you that put the scratch with the razor blade? Not saying the razor blade was a bad idea, I have used that hundreds of times myself but it can scratch.

Why would your neighbor have done anything? Is there a back story? You may be the sorry one if you find out it wasn't him and you did whatever you did to his property.
He is EXTREMELY jealous..........the scratch is DEEP....the end of a knife etc had to do it. Plus when i was done we looked at it and it was nice. Woke up to a huge scratch.......

I'm not going to damage anything of his, i'm just saying hes not going to be happy. No one that would be jealous of some elses car can be happy in the morning. LOL

Last edited by O2Form; 10-27-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is EXTREMELY jealous..........the scratch is DEEP....the end of a knife etc had to do it. Plus when i was done we looked at it and it was nice. Woke up to a huge scratch.......

I'm not going to damage anything of his, i'm just saying hes not going to be happy. No one that would be jealous of some elses car can be happy in the morning. LOL
Did you have water on the windshield while cleaning with the razor blade? I only ask because if you had scratched it (which I doubt, everyone uses razorblades on glass) the water would have concealed the scratch until it tried...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha, makes a little more sence now. Best bet would be to try a clay bar on a small area and if that doesn't work contact your insurance company and state that you don't know what happened but one day it was perfect, and the next it was not. If you tell them you think it was a road crew they will probably recomend you go to the road crew for damages. Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Did you have water on the windshield while cleaning with the razor blade? I only ask because if you had scratched it (which I doubt, everyone uses razorblades on glass) the water would have concealed the scratch until it tried...
yep i did and i believe i scratched it! All i can say is i'm a complete idiot!

Neighbor is jealous but he didn't do this.

Barney Fife move over.

Quick Reply: Insurance Claim?