Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Other than "rape", what's a typical price for...

Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Other than "rape", what's a typical price for...

...dealer installed front struts? Also, what other options are available? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you have access to any tools at all? Do you have a jack and jackstands? You could conceivably buy the parts from someone like Lindsay Cadillac or one of the other online vendors that sell at below-dealer prices, then do the install yourself. I did mine up on a lift, but there's really no need to have a lift - you could easily do it on jackstands. The only two hard parts IMO are (1) getting the upper balljoint out of the upper control arm, and (2) compressing the spring so you can get disassemble the strut from the big upper strut mount/upper control arm mount.

#1 just takes a bit of elbow grease and smacking the appropriate parts (carefully) with a 3# hammer until the balljoint comes out.

#2 you could either (1) use ratchet straps as a spring compressor, or (2) take the whole assembly to a shop and have them compress the spring, remove the old strut, and install the new strut. That way you're only paying maybe an hour of labor (if you find the right shop you might just pay a couple 6-packs of good beer).
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the stealership, spread your feet to a comfortable distance (slightly wider than your shoulders), bend over, grab your ankles and back in. They'll do the rest.

AAIIIC is right on about it not being a difficult job. Some of the parts stores will rent you the tools necessary for a minimal charge.

One of the better ways to remove a ball joint is to use two hammers (equal weight hammers are best). Place one snugly against the knuckle directly opposite from where you will be striking it. This will provide an anvil so that the strike's energy loss will be minimal. A bit of PBR Blaster at the joint-knuckle contact point will help also.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scatillac
Go to the stealership, spread your feet to a comfortable distance (slightly wider than your shoulders), bend over, grab your ankles and back in. They'll do the rest.
Sadly, that's the path I'm talking. I've got the skills for the job, but life is just waaay too busy right now.

Thanks anyway for the advise guys.

Search this Thread