Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mickey Thompson street DR problem.. falling apart, less that 200miles/3months!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Mickey Thompson street DR problem.. falling apart, less that 200miles/3months!!!!

Well... Im near completion of my 4L80E swap that snowballed into a few other mods that soaked up some down time, like a new 9" rear, and a few other minor mods. Keep in mind while reading this my car has been down for the last 6 months.

I purchased a set of MT 3744R street DRs... 315/35/17s... from Summit, I received them right about Christmas 08. Had them for a couple/three weeks before mounting them onto my widened 35th LE wheels. Drove them around for a few hundred miles, my car is my weekend toy so mileage is very limited. I then bought some new wheels and put on some MT DRs (not the street tire style) and had been cruising on those until I put my car down in May for the swap. So... keep in mind... the 315s were mounted in Jan.. car was driven on street wheels for a couple hundred miles... then downed in May for mods. The car is still currently down, 4L80E is in and waiting on a new 9" from Jaws Gear.

I pulled my street wheels with the MT street DRs on them to get them cleaned up, my 9" is supposed to be here on Wed this week. I didnt get very far because I was disgusted to find that the tires are weather cracking ALL OVER! I havent even done a burnout on these frickin tires! The **** are still on the tires! They are kept in my garage out of the weather, here in CA there isnt too much weather issues especially in only a few months of storage. I have a set of Nitto 555Rs that are on my front wheels that are 6yrs old... with no cracking at all! Im pretty pissed off about this... there is no way Im driving on these defective tires. I already contacted Summit Racing where I bought them... they told me to contact MT. This should be fun.

Has anyone seen this!?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Looks like MT is on my side with this...

email sent to MT after Summit Racing told me I need to go thought MT on this issue.

Hello... less than a year ago I purchased a set of Mickey Thompson MT-3744R tires on order #5801414 though Summit Racing, this order was placed in December 2008 less than a year ago. These tires were to serve street duty on my SS Camaro. Well.. the car has been down for the last 6 months and the tires barely have a couple hundred miles on them before my car went down for 6 months, other than that they have sat in my garage on my stock wheels while Ive been swapping a built 4L80E trans and custom Moser 9" into my Camaro. In short they only have a couple hundred miles and only a couple months total on car. The tires have not even had a burnout done on them... theyve collected more dust over the last year than pavement. My Moser 9" is due to be delivered this Wednesday so I pulled out my wheels with the MTT-3744Rs on them to clean them up and get them ready to roll. Well.. I was surprised to find that there are hundreds of cracks in the rubber on the tires, both of them... IMO its a tire defect. I have Nitto 555Rs that are over 6yrs old that dont have cracks like this. For what its worth they have been sheltered in my garage away from any abnormal weather, or any weather at all... they have not been beaten on or had any burnouts.. they even still have the rubber stems (**** I call them) on the outside of the tire. I can provide pictures if you would like. Now... I have been a loyal MT customer for many many years, I have a set of DRs and ET Streets on my track wheels. Again.. I can provide you photos of the cracks and even tire gauge the tires in a photo to prove they are 95% new and can provide a receipt from Summit as well. I contacted Summit and they recommended I contact MT direct. Ill even dismount them and send them to you for inspection. Please reply to me and let me know what you can do for me. Thank you....

-Nick
email back from MT less that 12hrs from the time I sent mine.

Nick

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue that you are having with your tires, and your continued interest in Mickey Thompson tires. I do not understand why Summit had you contact us as they are obligated to handle the warranty of the tires. If these tires were stored in a way that the weight of the vehicle was not sitting on the tires, there should be no reason why the tires cracked in that short of time. Please get these back to Summit so they can get you taken care of and send the tires to us for inspection. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Jeremy Farmer

Technical Support / Returns

Mickey Thompson Tires
Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine look like that. the soft compound makes them easy to pick up road scratches. thats why they usually only last 3-5000 miles

also be sure they are in a good climate, i had some in storage and they dry rotted pretty fast
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine look like that too, and they are brand new. I dont know what causes it.. My Nittos didnt look like after a months. I dunno.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Thats strange... Ive never seen a tire do this before. Ive had yoko Paradas, BFG DRs. Nittos, Hankook etc.... never seen this before on a tire that has only had a couple hundred miles and only stored (away from weather) for such a short time. I have 2 other sets of MTs in my garage that have been sitting for even longer... DRs and a set of ET streets which have zero cracking going on.

If the other 2 sets of MTs I have had the same issue I probably wouldnt worry about it and chalk it up to tire compound or weather but thats not the case. IMO this is a defective tire issue. Not only that but the rep from MT even said its not supposed to happen like this.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what they look like.

you cant compare mickeys to any other tire. once you drive on them youll be able to feel that yourself.

its an ultra soft compound, driving on them makes them look like that. its not a rotting issue your tearing up that ultra soft compound on rough asphalt.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
thats what they look like.

you cant compare mickeys to any other tire. once you drive on them youll be able to feel that yourself.

its an ultra soft compound, driving on them makes them look like that. its not a rotting issue your tearing up that ultra soft compound on rough asphalt.
I have to disagree. I have had my MT DR's for almost a year now and they do not look anything like that. I drove with them to and from the track probably 10-15 times this year and they still look great.
To the OP: i would continue to pursue getting your warranty fulfilled. They are advertised to be be driven on the street so they shouldn't fall apart if you do that.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not suppose to happen. Me and a few friends have MT dr's and we drive on them every weekend. They have no cracking at all.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Launching!

ive had my 315/30/18s on mine for about 8 months and havent had a problem. Ive probably put a couple thousand miles on them as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Update....

After emailing M/T and speaking with Summit on the phone Summit sent me return labels to ship them back for inspection. Not more than a week later I had a brand new set at my door.

Gotta love Summit.... theyre great... this is why I do a lot of business with them.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

^^^^^^ Thats good to know Summit is great..
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

yeah had 2 different pair do the same thing but I just kept them they still worked great. Now I wish I had of sent them back.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

I have had several sets of MT DR's and have had NO problems....weird. Glad you got it taken care of.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My MT radials are almost 4 years old (don't drive the car much) and they still look like they did the day I recieved them new..the car sits on them year around too. I'm not sure why Summit told you to contact MT, that's their job. At our shop, whenever someone has an issue with a product, we send it back to the warehouse (Atech Motorsports/Summit) and they send it back to the manufacturer.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Got me wondering how many people are having issues with these. I was wanting to purchase some of these but now I'm second guessing.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

I had about three track days with mine and 500 miles and they got bald REALLY quick. Great tires, but just didn't last long at all. I just put me some $80 275/60/15 Hankooks on the back and bought some MT 28x10.5 slicks for $50 from a friend that only had maybe 15 passes on them .

Glad to hear you got some new tires OP.

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson street DR problem.. falling apart, less that 200miles/3months!!!!