Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high vacum at oil fill cap

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high vacum at oil fill cap

when i remove my oil fill cap with it running it has alot of vacum on it you can put your hand over it and it tries to pull your hand in there is my pcv valve stuck its a new engine what could it be
Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

ok i removed the pcv valve hose and nothing changed i removed the hose from the ps valve cover and that is what is causing it but why i have the ls6 style
1 hose from valley to tb
1 hose from ps valve cover to intake

can i just remove and plug those 2 ports from the valve cover and intake and just leave the pcv one hooked up thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mknight759
when i remove my oil fill cap with it running it has alot of vacum on it you can put your hand over it and it tries to pull your hand in there is my pcv valve stuck its a new engine what could it be
It's hooked up to the intake manifold. It supposed to be like that.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep thats normal operation.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

ok i swapped them aroung put the valve cover to the tb and the pcv to the intake and it quit is that right
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mknight759
ok i swapped them aroung put the valve cover to the tb and the pcv to the intake and it quit is that right
Yes. Here is some info I found.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Good info, but the PCV sytem does far more than just release excess crankcase pressure. On a street engine, the proper PCV system keeps a clean air flow through the crankcase that removes the moisture, unburnt fuel, and corrosive combustion by-products (Sulferic acid being just one) that "flash-off" during operating temps....and without a "flush" through the crankcase will re-condense back onto the internal parts & engine oil causing extensive damage over time. The proper catchcan does need to be prperly designed inside to #1, catch-cool& condense the oil mist/vapors into droplets and have a baffel system to trap them so they are not pulled through into the vacume source (intake manifold), and to properly cool enough to condense all possible a 1 qt design (or 2 1 pint smaller ones) is the minimum for a street driven car. On road track cars 1/2 gal seems to be the ticket.

Also, the OEM set-up draws filtered fresh air from the front of the TB, and it is adequate, but allows for oil mist to enter the intake via this connection through reversion pulses....and therefore a filtered oil fill cap eliminates this and if tuned with the breathered cap there are no metering issues.

Most mistake a PCV system for only releiving crankcase pressure, an important function, but it has an equally important function and that is to save your engine!!!

On track/drag applications a vacume pump is used to pull these out or a venturi style evac set-up into the header collectors works as well, but oil is changed every few races so the same issues a street car faces are avoided.

As far as the most functional design on the market, any with a mesh filter material will do a great job intially, until the material becomes saturated and then you will see droplets pulling off the mesh and getting into the intake. (Not a tone, but still some) thousands of mine are in use and have been tested side-by-side with most everyone on the market and have yet to find one as efficient. For a supporting vendor I would reccomend Mike Norris's using 2 in series.

Search this Thread