View Full Version : went from loudmouth to magnamouth. BIG disapointment

ryans01z28
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
so I just switched out my LOUD AZZ loudmouth with a round magnaflow 6"x14" long muffler & what a disapointment that was. u can hardley tell its running & I can barely hear the cam. performance seems to be down also. do the have 2b boke in? any1 have the same setup & how do u like it

Finkledbody
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Ouch. Guess ya need to try something else :drive:

ryans01z28
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
ya mabe a flowmaster I guess

00Silv4.8
10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
dont do a flow master for the love of God, if you think the magnaslow is bad your gonna hate the slowbastard.

I had a magnaflow, LTs, no cats on my truck and HATED the rasp I got, so I swapped to a spintech and it sounds amazing. I would recommend the super pro street, but if your wanting a little more mellow I've got the super street, if your interested PM me, I really want the super pro series

01z
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
put a cutout before the new muffler

legendarysouls
10-27-2009, 09:32 PM
i got a magnaflow catback on a basically stock 99 z28 and got no rasp :huh:
But ya like no idle noise :( and i didnt notice and backflow or power loss

BUT i do love my borla on my T/A its has an electric adjustable Exhaust switch, loud at wide open and quite when closed

ryans01z28
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
it just really sounds like a stock muff. 2me. barley hear my big cam. crist almighty I'm pissed!

Ironxcross
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
get a cutout or something. hell, lop off the exhaust.

johnp94
10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I was getting my flowmaster exhaust installed today and these guys were doing all kinds of cutting and rewelding. I was standing under the car realizing no matter what they f*#* up the car will still run. We live and learn. Can you put the loud mouth back on. I've just learned flowmaster isn't very loud but my z28 will be mostly show. So not too worried. chear up if we got money to mess around with our exhaust, means we are doing good. John

ryans01z28
10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
dont give me the "put a cut out in" or cut the exhaust off crap. I'm tryin 2 make a not as loud sound lol if that makes since. anyone run the borla RX series? if so how do u like it & what do u think it would be like with my set up in the sig?

c6r
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I have the B&B with no cats and it's a love hate relationship, I want to order a borla or dyntech round muffler from the summit racing catalog but i am not sure they will fit?

Snowcr4sh
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Look up "Detoxx" on here or on youtube. He has vids of his old setup (LM with a borla XR-1). I thought it sounded great. I love the sound of the XR-1's, sounds mean as hell even on a stock ls1.

Detoxx03
10-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I used to run the borlamouth but it was still a little raspy so I went with the slp powerflo w/ an e-cutout and won't change it unless I can find someone to make me some td's the way I want them.

metalmechanic
10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
you have the headrs and the y, leave off the ldmth or any other mufler , just weld in pipe, thats how mine is.

hitmanws6
10-28-2009, 01:04 AM
dynomax bullets are pretty damn loud

desertLS1
10-28-2009, 01:13 AM
what cam are you running?

thewholefnshow1
10-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Get a Borla XR1 or A Medium I think 20" Powerstick (www.classicchambered.com) in there and take off that Magnaflow.

LSX Truck
10-28-2009, 01:55 AM
magnaflow is reknown for it's drone and rasp!!

RPM WS6
10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
barley hear my big cam.

What are the cam specs? I don't see it listed in your sig.

Single pattern cams usually have more of a steady rolling beat vs the more random, choppy idle of a similar sized cam on a split pattern, in my experiance. Also, the same lift/duration cam on a 112lsa will be much more choppy than say a 114 or more.

Basically, if you're comparing your idle to other cars, maybe it's just that your cam specs don't lend to a very lumpy idle.

hmorris7000
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
i had the borlamouth with lt's and uncatted y and it sounded great its quieter than the loudmouth and louder than the magnamouth if that gives you an idea you can hear it at idle and also hear it while driving but not to the point where you cant hear yourself think,but loud enough to know its there and a total beast at wot. Only reason Im getting rid of it is because I'm going a totally differant route with my car you can have it for $85 shipped if you want it I can provide pics if you would like to see it.

98-mongooSSe
10-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Maybe you just went with the wrong muffler. After I installed my cam, headers & ORY, I replaced the SLP resonator with a Magnaflow bullet muffler & it's still loud as hell, but just eliminated most of the rasp (only time is 2500-2800 RPM under light load).

Here is the one I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14419/

Unfortuately I don't have any new video clips of what it sounds like when I'm driving, but at WOT you can hear me from a mile away.

Shay

1Loudz28
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
get a cutout.

'02TA
10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
before u up and waste money changing it let it be for a month or 2. Magnaflow tends to get louder as you put miles on it. I have true duals on my car and bought 2 magnapacks for it. Put em on and loved the way it sounded but it was to quiet so I put my 40 series slowmaster back on and went about my business. Eventually I wanted to lower the car back down again so i put the magnaflow back on and had the exhaust guy tuck them up good. Been driving it for a couple months now and it's louder than my flowmaster was. And it sounds tits by the way

brians91formula
10-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I had the slp LM1 with my current set-up and it was VERY LOUD and VERY RASPY. I changed it to the Magnaflow CB and its a lot quieter but I dont really like the sound all that much. It sounds sorta stock but I can live with it. Here is a sound clip of my Magnaflow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qayOVVtKOo

I just put on a DMH e-cutout as well

USArmyZ28
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Man get a dual exhaust custom made and dump it at the rear axle, I was just in your same shoes. With my cut out closed my Bassani x pipe dual exhaust felt to quiet, with dual cut outs it was so loud I would set car alarms from 100 feet away. So I had them cut the over the axle part off and weld on two glass packs and the sound is freakin MEAN and perfect. Loud all the time, but you can still hear the music.

thunderstruck507
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
check out some sound clips and find something better...not like it gets any worse

loudmouths sound ok on a stock car, but with headers they start to sound pretty bad and obnoxious

jbuhr
10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't want to offend you, but make sure you put the muffler on the correct way. If its backwards, it may be very quiet. I'm sure you've already checked this though.

TransAmV3
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
you should look into a Hooker Aerochamber muffler sounds really really good with no droning inside vehicle but really screams @ wot. I have lt's & ory & have no rasp.

jbuhr
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I'll be putting my new Heartthrob exhaust on soon. I'll let you know how it sounds. I've liked their sound on other cars/engines

pat-ls101
10-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I have dyno max, and its pretty damn loud I still have cats and stock y with no headers! Sounds good too

zracer323
10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
My Magnaflow took some time to break in. When I first put it on, it was very quiet and my car seemed slower. After a few days the sound really opened up and it sounded much better.

ls1kbush
11-01-2009, 12:02 AM
I know someone else already asked this but I never saw a answer. What cam do you have in this car? In your sig there is no sign of you having a cam but you did say that you couldnt tell you had a cam after you changed the muffler.

LSXmadman
11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
your problem being... you put a muffler on your car!!! hahahaha a loud mouth exhaust is pretty much no muffler.. the lil resignator they give you is nothing.. just looks like a muffler, if you look inside it there is nothig!! less than what you bolted back on hands down hence its quiter now, youll probaly see in new "muffler" theres dimples, or hell even chambers, all in all cant get louder than a loud mouth unless open headers, seeing a loud mouth does nothing to quiet exhaust noise, at end of y-pipe back :hump:

Daryn
11-01-2009, 12:59 AM
just keep the magnaflow and get a electric cutout . so u will beable to listen to your radio when you want and rattle the windows if nesesarry

FirstLSx
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I have LT's, ory and a Magnaflow. It doesn't drone or rasp at all really. I like that its fairly quiet and doesn't draw too much attention.

I do like loud, but not all the time. So that's why I put a cutout in.

96V6Bird
11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Funny you guys talk about your exhausts being so quiet you cant hear them... My flowmaster 80 on my six is freakin loud all the time. I cant imagine anything on your v8's.

I'll be going to a v8 takeoff catback next since I have an electric cutout. Its nice being loud and/or stock quiet when you wanna be. :D

ls1kbush
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Funny you guys talk about your exhausts being so quiet you cant hear them... My flowmaster 80 on my six is freakin loud all the time. I cant imagine anything on your v8's.

I'll be going to a v8 takeoff catback next since I have an electric cutout. Its nice being loud and/or stock quiet when you wanna be. :D

Its loud because you dont have enough exhaust pressure to use the muffler as it was designed.

98-mongooSSe
11-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Finally got a clip for you. The camera guy was about 6-8 feet back & said it hurt his ears when a gave it a rev. :D Sounds pretty damn loud to me.

Btw, I had to launch easy due to piss poor traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OXq2XXWZCg

Shay

Benjamin Russick
11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Stick a Borla XR-1 in there instead of the Magnaflow. My BorlaMouth sounded great with my 382...

ryans01z28
12-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I know someone else already asked this but I never saw a answer. What cam do you have in this car? In your sig there is no sign of you having a cam but you did say that you couldnt tell you had a cam after you changed the muffler.

I have ms3 and i updated my sig now. after having it on there for a few weeks i guess i got use to how it sounds. i just wanted the high performance sound and not the over whelming noise from lm. also might help if i get it tuned, havent done that since the heads and cam swap but ohh well its winter so i might as well wait till summer

coop875
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
if it will fit ill trade u exhausts, i have tru duals dumped at the axel

SLP LS1
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
I always thought magnaflow was too quiet also, that's why I went with a custom true dual setup with bullet mufflers.