Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Time for a Little Bigger. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a Little Bigger. Help?

What I know-

Current:
2:73's (2 series) Possible bent axle or hub (small winter mishap a couple years back).
All stock 10-bolt with 110k on a '96z auto.

Now on to the FREE parts:
Gears: 3.42 ~44k miles
Diff: ~55k miles from a '97 auto with 3:23's
Axles: ~55k from the same '97 with no studs.

Questions:
1. What wear parts do I need to get?
2. Where did you get you parts?
3. What is a good way to clean the differential and gears before install?
4. I'd like a new diff cover, so what have experiences have you had? What looks good and functions well?
5. Should I get new studs or re-use mine?

6. Unrelated, but I would like to fix this when I do the rear. I rounded off the distribution block fittings for the brake hard lines when I went to install the braided line going from the body. The fittings never came loose, so they are still on there and not leaking. My question is should I go to GM for the lines or cut, bend, and flare new ones? Also if I were to get used ones... are they the same on 98-02 cars?

Thanks, I know that is quite a bit to sort through, but I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found a couple re-build kits. Oh, and I know I'm going to need a pro either to do it or to point and say "you're doing it wrong."

SLP
http://www.lmperformance.com/2318/2.html

EPP
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1009

Byunspeed
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...8ca79c136e2051
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by greendrazil
Questions:
1. What wear parts do I need to get?
2. Where did you get you parts?
3. What is a good way to clean the differential and gears before install?
4. I'd like a new diff cover, so what have experiences have you had? What looks good and functions well?
5. Should I get new studs or re-use mine?

6. Unrelated, but I would like to fix this when I do the rear. I rounded off the distribution block fittings for the brake hard lines when I went to install the braided line going from the body. The fittings never came loose, so they are still on there and not leaking. My question is should I go to GM for the lines or cut, bend, and flare new ones? Also if I were to get used ones... are they the same on 98-02 cars?

Thanks, I know that is quite a bit to sort through, but I'd greatly appreciate the help.
1. I would get a Master ratech install kit. It replaces all bearings/seals and has new shims for setting up the gears. They are about $125.

2. Summit or Thunder Racing

3. I always hose it out with brake parts cleaner and wipe it down inside with clean/new rags

4. Anything aluminum. Opt for the girdle stud kit that braces to the cover for a little bit more strength and a tad more $.

5. New studs for wheels, sure why not. They are cheap. Your rebuild kit will come with new ring gear bolts. Just an FYI.

6. Got me on this one.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Over at Thunder Racing they have two Ratech kits:
Complete for $95 and Deluxe for $123

I'll probably call today to figure out the difference, but do you happen to know which one is the one you were talking about?

They also have the TA cover for $155 Engraved with their logo. It looks oddly similar to the Trickflow that my friend put on his car.