Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 'vette LS! into 1997 Trans-am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 'vette LS! into 1997 Trans-am?

I just bought a 97 TA convertible with a dead engine. It might be a head gasket or it could need a full rebuild.

Point is I've located a '98 corvette 5.7L LS1 that can be had for $2100 with accessories. I've been digging around to find out what I need for the swap and there's a ton of great info here but not specifically for this car.

So... two questions, is the price of that engine way out of whack? and has anyone done this and can give me a list of stuff I might be missing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Starting with a corvette motor to go into an F body is about as backwards as you can get. Honestly, you're going to wind up spending so much for the F body accessories and pan that you may as well just buy an F body motor, not to mention a 98 vette ls1 isn't worth that unless it came with the harness and computer as well as the accessories, MAYBE not even then. You're still gonna need a trans, cause the LT1's won't bolt up, and new motor mounts too.

My point is you're a lot better off just finding a wrecked LS f body and swapping what you need over. NONE of the 'vette stuff is the same but the basic motor itself. The easiest way to do your swap would be with both cars next to each other for reference and going from F body to F body. Just my 2c from recently finishing my swap (LS1 RX7).
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

IFRYRCE hit the nail on the head!! You might be money ahead to have a shop look your motor over. The money you are willing to spend for that stock "Y" body motor could go a long ways to rebuilding yours with some nice extras!! We would be happy to give you a quote on a rebuild of your motor, and or a quote on one of our stock upgraded short blocks!! Shoot me a PM or email if I can help!!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the pointers. I thought this was a fairly easy conversion but that's 's why I asked. The engine I'm looking at does have computers and harness but if it's not a slam dunk fit, then I'll wait on the LS1 upgrade.

I stil don't know the extent of the damage to my LT1 from the previous owner. Ran it without coolant until white smoke came out the tailpipe. Might be a head gasket, might be a rebuild. I'll know more when I get it home this weekend and can turn a few screws.

Thanks guys, I'll get that 'vette engine out of my head as an easy answer.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya you would be in to spend alot of money with Vette stuff..the F-body stuff is a hell of alot easier to work with.

Quick Reply: 98 'vette LS! into 1997 Trans-am?