View Full Version : 09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?

up2nuthingud
10-28-2009, 06:58 PM
well, the factory longblock is 44,000 installed according to the dealer. i figure the ls9 crate is 20k, but what are the chances of making it work and function as factory for the remaining 25k? we'd like to use the factory tranny and drivetrain, paddle shifters and all. of course all the accesories need to work with the factory controls. does anyone think it can be done? anyone heard of a swap into this car?

mulletnotch
10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a very high dollar swap.

I'm sure you can have an adapter plate made for the LS9 to bolt to the trans but my concern would be two things... Typically the adapter will mandate the motor moving forward and with all the fwd portion of the drivetrain in the way you may not have a whole lot of room. Second, controlling all the shifting is really going to depend upon whether or not is controlled by a separate module and if so - is there tuning available that will work WITHOUT any input from the factory ECM. I would imagine this would be your biggest obstacle. Those are still pretty new so I doubt there will be a whole lot of support or stand alone type systems that will do all you need to with regard to the transmission. Maybe a MegaSquirt could be setup to work with it?

I have never heard of it. If it weren't all wheel drive it would sure make a lot more sense to install it with a 2wd trans of choice.....

Good luck. Hope you've got some serious coin available for the project.

$44k for replacement seems rediculous. I would look into some JDM parts suppliers and find a slightly used powertrain - typically they can be had at a fraction of what they cost in the states if you have the contacts.

LS1-450
10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
well, the factory longblock is 44,000 installed according to the dealer. i figure the ls9 crate is 20k, but what are the chances of making it work and function as factory for the remaining 25k? we'd like to use the factory tranny and drivetrain, paddle shifters and all. of course all the accesories need to work with the factory controls. does anyone think it can be done? anyone heard of a swap into this car?

You do realize that the GTR transmissions are custom to each individual engine installed in the GTR, yes? Wow, you're looking @ a handfull of cash with no gaurantee. Unless of course, you scrap the AWD & go RWD through a transaxle & the LS9. I'd say that could work through the paddle shifters w/ a stand alone controller for that part of the car & possibly keep the GTR ECU for the rest.

One thing is for sure, you would have the first & mabe only LS9 GTR. I'll certainly be watching for updates. Good-luck.

themonkeyman89
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a very high dollar swap.

I'm sure you can have an adapter plate made for the LS9 to bolt to the trans but my concern would be two things... Typically the adapter will mandate the motor moving forward and with all the fwd portion of the drivetrain in the way you may not have a whole lot of room. Second, controlling all the shifting is really going to depend upon whether or not is controlled by a separate module and if so - is there tuning available that will work WITHOUT any input from the factory ECM. I would imagine this would be your biggest obstacle. Those are still pretty new so I doubt there will be a whole lot of support or stand alone type systems that will do all you need to with regard to the transmission. Maybe a MegaSquirt could be setup to work with it?

I have never heard of it. If it weren't all wheel drive it would sure make a lot more sense to install it with a 2wd trans of choice.....

Good luck. Hope you've got some serious coin available for the project.

$44k for replacement seems rediculous. I would look into some JDM parts suppliers and find a slightly used powertrain - typically they can be had at a fraction of what they cost in the states if you have the contacts.
I would say that a mandate of the swap would be retaining AWD. The car is not particularly beautiful on its own, its the stunning awd performance that makes it awesome. RWD would never come close to living up to what the AWD system can do.

Good luck if you go for it. Should be a crazy car if you can build it.

eviltwin_1987
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
never going to happen, period

ls1nova71
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
A 2009 car that needs a new $44,000 engine?????:loco: And they say imports are made better..............

up2nuthingud
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Eviltwin, you are probably correct. If it was known territory and budget then the chances would be much greater. We are having a terrible time swallowing 44k for the long block when the whole car was 73k. Kind of got us by the balls, so to speak. If anyone comes across a used motor for this car, let me know where! I think at this point it has been so frustrating it will just get fixed and sold. Thanks for everyones input.

LS1-450
10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
never going to happen, period

A 2009 car that needs a new $44,000 engine?????:loco: And they say imports are made better..............

If you two don't have anything better to add to the thread, then please stay out of it. If you want to talk sh!t, go down to the street racing & racers lounge where you can do it all day long. This section is for conversion/hybrid discussions, not for bashing those that come in here looking for answers.

slingshot928
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Does it need the whole motor....you might be able to get the machine shop to redo what is bad in the motor...man for 44k I could have a badass turbo ls3 with trans and rear end in my 93 no problem...going much faster than the gtr and having a better time.

If I did the swap I would put ls3 in it with supporting mods, a t56, and get a driveshaft to the rearend custom made...that thing has to hold some kind of power.

up2nuthingud
10-28-2009, 10:48 PM
The engine block "lightened" itself so it is unbuildable. This motor only comes in this car, and you can only buy longblock. The closest engine is the g37 but it's not the same bore and would require an untold amount of work and even then wouldn't be as strong.

NoOne
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd say...no...

A car that has that much electronic BS on it is probably near undriveable without the computers.

I'm talking from a dynamics standpoint. I've instructed someone, on track, at speed in one of those, they are nearly impossible to lose.

Generally when they put that much into the driver assist when you turn them all off totally the car is undriveable.

Second, it already has a transaxle. The whole unit is in the rear and there are 2 driveshafts, one going from front to back, and another going from back to front.

Sucks because its probably one of the few cars that would be easier to retain the AWD.

ls1ya
10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
will keep my eyes open

ace_xp2
10-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Haltech does standalone for this car now. Call them and see if the controller they have could deal with two additional injector and spark paths.
If it's as complex as other Haltech offerings, it would be seemingly doable.
Even if it was only equipped with six fuel/spark channels, you might be able to arrange them in some kind of batch fire/wasted spark system that could make it all work. It really depends on how much the rest of the car needs to know about the engine settings, and how much of those settings the haltech is/isn't capable of faking.

quick link of some features, shows promise:
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Haltech-Release-Platinum-t275239.html

The platinum pro engine management software is seemingly downloadable from their website, Download it and see what it's got for control.

You may want to be careful how you word your queries to them. Asking if it will control a V8 will likely get you a no, but asking if the injector controllers have the strength to deal with more than one injector per driver(say its for "the look") may get you the info you're after.

ace_xp2
10-29-2009, 04:08 AM
damn back button

Hans Grüber
10-29-2009, 04:36 AM
What happened to the engine? Why isn't it covered under the warranty?

up2nuthingud
10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
i cant get into specifics with the engine yet. once we have gotten the final answer in writing from the dealership that they will not cover it underwarranty the lawyers will get involved and threads will pop up everywhere. its like the kingsnake mustang, nissan is holding owners hostage and dramatically overcharging for items because its a "premium" car and they know you cant get the parts anywhere else.

Sabre002
10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
An LS9 would rip that GTR trans a new one. I mean just think how they handle the OEM motor in that car now.

up2nuthingud
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
i am not so sure about that sabre, this one made 550 hp at the wheels and handled it fine. i think what kills the tranny is the abuse from launch control that we NEVER used.

Wesmanw02
10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
i cant get into specifics with the engine yet. once we have gotten the final answer in writing from the dealership that they will not cover it underwarranty the lawyers will get involved and threads will pop up everywhere. its like the kingsnake mustang, nissan is holding owners hostage and dramatically overcharging for items because its a "premium" car and they know you cant get the parts anywhere else.

Thats the story of the Nissan GTR's life.

Everything is not covered under warranty. No matter what breaks they find an excuse not to cover it, Nissan sucks. And $44K for a long block?? What a joke. Its nothing more than a forged variation of the Nissan VQ thats in every damn Nissan ever built. No way its worth even 1/4 that much.

As for the swap, very interesting, but I think you will run into some serious headaches with wiring and powertrain control. Its easy enough to run the LSX with its own PCM and wiring harnesses, but I'm sure the GTR's PCM will go crazy without any input from an engine or various other components. So as to getting the gauges accessories and such to function, not sure how you'd go about that.

The Nissan trans also isn't going to take the torque output of the LS9 engine. Its a piece of shit trans to begin with, it has trouble dealing with even the stock V6's limited torque output. The LS9 makes 350ft/lbs at idle, it will tear that overcomputerized, underperforming trans to shreds. Same goes for the axles and differentials, no way they are going to hold up very long. Not saying its not worth a try, just be prepared with a backup plan for when things fail.

hookemdevils22
10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
my vote? do it. if it's not a DD (which I'm sure it isn't), and you've got the time/patience, it would be a wicked swap. Buddy up with some techs @ nissan (which should be pretty easy considering you bought a GTR from them), get some info on the wiring/computer/drivetrain/etc., and learn some stuff. it may be stupid complex, but that's what the internet's for - finding information and passing it along.

you'd get stupid props if you could pull it off, although i'm sure the JDM guys wouldn't be too happy about it (even when they learned of the OEM power plant's fate).

Gabbiani
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm betting you could piggy back most of the items to retain the factory computer and electronics. Most computers just need a speed sensor and an engine speed to operate things like tranny etc. Even if its not enough to make the computer drive spark properly like just the neg side of a coil will often work for these types of things.

Good luck.

hellbents10
10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
It could be done yes. For 44k and still be reliable....well prob. not. I think the drive train as a whole would need to be redone.

digitalsolo
10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm betting you could piggy back most of the items to retain the factory computer and electronics. Most computers just need a speed sensor and an engine speed to operate things like tranny etc. Even if its not enough to make the computer drive spark properly like just the neg side of a coil will often work for these types of things.

Good luck.

This isn't a TPI 305 though. This is a massively complicated twin turbo, variable timing geek-fest. I'm sure they're using CAN or something similar to tie disparate modules together.

Keep in mind, this car uses GPS to check if you're at a race track. :)

themachasy
10-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd just insurance the fucker, its technically totalled. Half the value for a motor... How did it blow up?

Slow50h
10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
in these days, a car isnt totaled unless it exceeds 99% of the vehciles current value.

up2nuthingud
10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
how can you insurance it? mechanical damage is not covered by insurance. if it turns up "missing" they would find out for sure that it didnt drive away under its own power!

blakss
10-31-2009, 05:17 AM
i say you.. take it to a hill and let it drop.. total it and have the insurance pay out.. lol or maybe ..part it out and try and make your money back. at least not a complete loss.love those cars.. but for 44K idk what i would do.. i would call and talk to the corporate office or something for that much money there has to be something some one can do to help u out with that.

Pop N Wood
10-31-2009, 07:29 AM
If you two don't have anything better to add to the thread, then please stay out of it. If you want to talk sh!t, go down to the street racing & racers lounge where you can do it all day long. This section is for conversion/hybrid discussions, not for bashing those that come in here looking for answers.

You know you may not like what the guy has to say but I thought the same thing. I don't see it happening either.

Now what does make sense is doing a more traditional swap, meaning a matching motor and trans, then deleting whatever bells and whistles that don't make sense. That may include the AWD.

The computers everyone worries about, but computes are reprogrammable. You can make those fuckers do anything you want. The hard part is finding the right guy or group of guys. Completely redoing the firmware may be expensive, but not 44K expensive.

Then when you are done with all of that, you may have a car that is better than the original BUT one that is worth a fraction of what the original was worth. That is becasue 20 years from now it will be worth WAY LESS than what an original will be worth. GT-R's, as awesome as they are, are worth that much in part becasue of the snob appeal. You lose all that with an LS9 and matching t56

So I think we are back to the original post. May be fun to talk about but ain't never gonna happen cause it makes no sense.

ace_xp2
10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Poked through the Haltech ECU controller, looks doable.

It has full control over all the injector trims and total injection angle, as well as timing trim.

It doesn't have control enough to disable injectors, but I realised there is an easy way around this. Using one of the carb plate style injector setups would let you run all six in a wet manifold setup (Can't find links, does anyone remember them? They had injectors going down the sides of a carb plate...)
Then you'd just have to deal with two too many spark signals, which I think could be dealt with using dummy coils.
It even has what looks like a upshift torque cut feature so you can tune it low enough to match the vgs torque while changing gears.

themachasy
10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
how can you insurance it? mechanical damage is not covered by insurance. if it turns up "missing" they would find out for sure that it didnt drive away under its own power!

I've heard driving through a puddle and hydrolocking the motor is covered? That or you can ghostride it into something lol. I just don't see the swap being feasible with all of the engine and transmission electronics. Is a shortblock any cheaper?

67maro
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I belive theres a company in florida who blew a black one up, you might want to contact one of the major shops that are working on them currentley. Personally Id go with boost logic, Im sure they would love to get their hands dirty by taking apart a blown up GTR and seeing what the weak link is.

randomnine7
10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
..what you should do .. is buy another one . swap out the motor for you blown one and the do a insurance "job" on the other one . just say they joy riders crashed it and blew the motor . but then again if this doesent work then you our 146k .. sell it and buy the
zr1 !

themonkeyman89
11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
You know you may not like what the guy has to say but I thought the same thing. I don't see it happening either.

Now what does make sense is doing a more traditional swap, meaning a matching motor and trans, then deleting whatever bells and whistles that don't make sense. That may include the AWD.

The computers everyone worries about, but computes are reprogrammable. You can make those fuckers do anything you want. The hard part is finding the right guy or group of guys. Completely redoing the firmware may be expensive, but not 44K expensive.

Then when you are done with all of that, you may have a car that is better than the original BUT one that is worth a fraction of what the original was worth. That is becasue 20 years from now it will be worth WAY LESS than what an original will be worth. GT-R's, as awesome as they are, are worth that much in part becasue of the snob appeal. You lose all that with an LS9 and matching t56

So I think we are back to the original post. May be fun to talk about but ain't never gonna happen cause it makes no sense.

Deleting the AWD woudl defeat the purpose of this entire swap. If you're going to do that, just rebuild the body of the Nissan around a camaro chassis, save $35k, and be happy with burnouts and rampant oversteer. The AWD is the ENTIRE purpose of that car. Its not pretty, its not cheap. AWD and high horsepower is all it has going for it.

Have you taken rough measurements of the engine bay to see if the LS9 will even fit? I imagine its probably not going to be too bad, even with the S/C, just because the DOHC motors take up so much real estate compared to a pushrod motor.

LS1ToyotaCrawler
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Digging up this old thread as Google led me here.

Now that there is technology and strength in aftermarkets parts it got me thinking about this swap after watching a bunch of Nelson Racing videos on youtube.

http://youtu.be/JHbL866mHWs

Just imagine swapping out the Alpha 12 engine from a fully built and proven AMS Alpha 12 GTR with a 1,800hp+ NRE Twin Turbo LSX.

As for durability, if AMS can do crazy boosted launches on stickies then the drive train should survive roll racing like at the Texas invitational.

For fitment I'm pretty sure Nelson could get it to fit after watching a few of their complete vehicle builds.

I'd love to see how it performs and lets keep price out of the discussion because the only people that can afford these sort of builds dont worry so much about the added cost, they just want to beat the person next to them in a 1,550awhp Lambo or a 1,800hp C6.....Oh boy how times have changed since this thread was started.

MightyAl
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Keep in mind, this car uses GPS to check if you're at a race track. :)

I thought that was just the JDM cars and not the USDM cars and it effectively changed the tune for more power.

The trans tuning has been unlocked years ago and it would have to be totally gone through to get it to shift and run correctly as there used to be problems with it shifting because of too much torque.

I think the hardest part would be keeping the trans happy so that it would run correctly. It looks at so many things that I believe it would be the limiting factor in swapping in a different engine.

Blackpanther99
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
2JZ swap or something lol

ig109
03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Thread is from 09 guys... come on..
:judge:

Blackpanther99
03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
I wonde what the guy ended up doing anyhow lmao curious.

nodrok
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM

I like it. you could totally use a front diff and build you own oil pan or go dry sump. Stand alone trans harness and controller. Adapter plat for engine to trans. You will need more fuel thats for sure.

If you are patient it can be done for less than 44k. There will be a couple thing that will not be easy. It will be test you patients. The looks on everyones face when they see a ls9 under the hood. PRICELESS.

Let me know how much you want if you sell that turd with a shot motor. I dont know the extent of the damage but i might be calling ERL depending on what happened. Good luck.