Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier 27" tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoosier 27" tires??

I am about to pull the trigger on some hoosier 27x11.5/15s. I was running 26" et drags last season, and on spray i am real close to running out of gear with 4.10s. (i knew i would) I have the motor out now for a set of "Mamofied 225s and a much better cam. I expect to make good power n/a and am not planning on spraying much. Next year.

I know a 28" tire would be best, i have a set here and mounted one up on my billet specialties 15x10 rim. I have no desire to cut my rear facsia (new) or bfh anything on the car. So i think those are out of the question. I have searched and pmed. I get conflicting results. Will the 27 fit with no mods?? I would be willing to cut the bumpstops out and that is it. I have yet to get lca relos, but plan on that this winter. I have cut some 1.56 60s on the 26"s, but more often then not it is a 1.7. I would be happy with consistant mid 1.5s. to get the et i am after on motor. how do these tires hook?? I want to run the dot quick time pros as then i can run in all the dot classes and everything else with one tire.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to this extent the BFH mod is not a big issue. I would def have Adj relocation brackets as it would help with fitment issues. JL will know if cutting or lip rolling would be needed.

Id run the calculator and assume the standard 1" or so of growth. So your 26" prob ran like a 27 and a 27 should run like a 28. The one issue I see is a ET Drag vs a Bias ply that has more cords to make them stiffer for the street. I think you may see a issue with breaking tires loose. Ultimately you wont know until you try but a compound/stiffness changed coupled with a slightly larger contact patch is going to make it interesting.

I think it will work, I think it will do it's job and not require major work to fit but I do not see many here running Hoosiers regularly. I mostly see M/T which is what exp I have with bias plys.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

27x11.5 qtp fit on my car with no mods at all, not even a hammer to the inner wheel well's.

They're about as big as you can go without having to do anything at all, every car is a little different, so you may, or may not have a problem, likly that you will be able to run them with no work though.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that is the info i was looking for. I wont be running them on the street, just at the track. I either trailer the car, or swap tires when i get there. On the calculator a 27 should get me enough mph at the desired rpm. We will find out next spring. Thanks again, BlackSrceaminMachine and JL. (btw JL i love watching your car on pinks all out, dont get to see many f-bodys in the 16)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by rpmauto
(btw JL i love watching your car on pinks all out, dont get to see many f-bodys in the 16)
Yea dont remind me, I was supposed to be there and I occasionally get blamed for not having the bottle be open.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It wasn't your fault, I was the dummy in the car that didn't remember to open it.

Had there been one more person there with me doing nothing but the bottle duty, the event would have ended in a different way for sure.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It wasn't your fault, I was the dummy in the car that didn't remember to open it.

Had there been one more person there with me doing nothing but the bottle duty, the event would have ended in a different way for sure.
Yea I know, we had some stuipd thing going on that weekend and to be honest it was important at the time, i have no clue what it was, so I guess it was not that important. My wife def wanted to go too!!!