Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I have a weird "wander"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a weird "wander"

I am thinking this is going to be in the Traction control area, but not sure. I have zero experience with the TC setup, so no idea what would be one acting up.

I have a 2001 Firehawk Anniversary 6 spd.

Tires balanced fine, all at 32pounds air. Ball joints, tie rods, all suspension bushings good, except rear jounce stops are gone.

Car has 80K miles, getting new shocks in a week, and it has about a 1.2 inch drop or so with Red springs. I have no idea who makes them, I put new rotors and brakes on and wiped them off looking for a name or part number and got zippo.

All my rotors and pads are new, all calipers i pulled sliders out and cleaned adn regreased.

Column feels tight, coupler is tight no slack, all sway bar parts fine and tight. T

NO CODES, NO lights, nothing.Traction control appears to work , doesnt spin bad when nailing from first gear.

This is my issue. Sometimes on acceleration and almost always starting around 45-50 it starts to pull to right. Sometimes so hard it feels like a front wheel drive car with torque pull.
If I jerk the car hard to the left , boom its fixed and tracks straight until I need to turn to the right in any form, ie..one lane change, or a turn on the loop, etc.
Sometimes when I brake it pulls to the right, the very next time I brake it doesnt, stops dead straight even slamming the brakes.

No real vibrations or shuddering, a little shudder if I drive using the COGS setup and go 1-4, but that is mostly just lower rpm and load I believe.

All mounts and such are tight, no sub connectors or any suspension mods on the car yet.

I was changing the oil Saturday and noticed the passenger side front wheel sensor wires and loom (green/tan) were melted onto the header. Toast, without a doubt there is not a signal getting down there. But again no codes or anything.

I know the wheel sensors, VSS, ABS module, ecm, all work together for the traction control from what I have skimmed over.

I did balljoint test, tie rod end test, wheel bearings are fine.
Alignment IS FINE.

I thought at first maybe the rack was just gummed up and drained, flushed and put new fluid in along with Lucas PS treatment and going turn to turn I really dont feel any big hangup or sticking areal. its possible a caliper may be hanging, but I dont think so, and all brakes are same temp when I drive it and push them hard to test. The piston action on them appears to be equal on all 4 as well. Oh, and it did the same thing before the new rotors and pads, so that is not it.

I did not really find this issue as common place so figured I would toss it out there and see if anyone had it happen in the past.