Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation What does this mean?

I jacked the front of my car up to check the front suspension.

The drivers side has what feels like 0.5-1mm of slack when pulling back and forth on the top and bottom, and no slack left to right.

The passenger side has no slack when pulling back and forth on the top and bottom, and has an unacceptable level (more than 4mm) of slack left to right.

What parts to I need to replace?

I have a lifetime alignment contract for this car so it won't be an issue to have it aligned after I replace the parts, but some basic tips to reinstalling the parts so that it is road-worthy would be great (so I can drive to an alignment center without chewing up the tires).
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

tie rods?? mine has way too much slack because mines bent up and been "crashed" on that side at one time.....
Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Damage to hubs, tie rods, ball joints, etc. are all possible considering where the components came from. So you think the front-back slack is tie-rods? Is the slight up/down slack on the drivers side something to worry about? I push my car hard. Is there a way to check other components for slack besides the wheel-tug test?

I did an engine swap from a car that had been rolled over (driver was fine). Re-used the complete suspension because aside from needing an alignment, all the bushings + components were newer and had half of the miles that the target car had. None of them are visually damaged/bent/etc.. The components on the target car were wearing out anyways simply due to having 140k miles on them.

Despite the donor k-member + front suspension parts being in a rollover, the alignment went pretty smooth. There was only one setting near the end that the new alignment tech was having difficulties with but otherwise it went alright. Spec was close to what I wanted but not spot-on.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would be my guess, I think my car needs a whole new R&P. Also there is some damage where they make adjustments to the alignment.....It's going to cost me like 300 bucks for an alignment......GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Unless somone has some spare steering parts for donation!!! LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
that would be my guess, I think my car needs a whole new R&P. Also there is some damage where they make adjustments to the alignment.....It's going to cost me like 300 bucks for an alignment......GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Unless somone has some spare steering parts for donation!!! LOL
I have spare lower a-arms that I could send ya for cheap. Really want to get this issue resolved though because I will be throwing R-compounds on the front for daily driving and don't want extremely abnormal tire wear.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I have spare lower a-arms that I could send ya for cheap. Really want to get this issue resolved though because I will be throwing R-compounds on the front for daily driving and don't want extremely abnormal tire wear.
pics to ant@suddenlink.net plz