Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 LT1 TO LS1 SWAP please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 LT1 TO LS1 SWAP please help

Tomorrow ill be buying a 1994 z28, im just wondering how tuff is it going to be to go from lt1 to ls1...? please help
Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4.8hemieater
Tomorrow ill be buying a 1994 z28, im just wondering how tuff is it going to be to go from lt1 to ls1...? please help
I think there are a couple of options for you. (A) you could get a new K member from BMR Fabrication or we have motor mount plates that will allow the LS1 to bolt into the original K member. You will of course need new harness, PCM, all accessories for the motor (alt. a/c compressor, .....)

This could be a good fun project!! Let us know if we can help!!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KJ@DHRC
I think there are a couple of options for you. (A) you could get a new K member from BMR Fabrication or we have motor mount plates that will allow the LS1 to bolt into the original K member. You will of course need new harness, PCM, all accessories for the motor (alt. a/c compressor, .....)

This could be a good fun project!! Let us know if we can help!!
A fun project indeed!! I would go with the conversion mounts. Way cheaper and dont have to bother with getting everything re-aligned after swapping k-members.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8hemieater
How long is a piece of rope? please help

Simple question like yours, impossible to answer with any accuracy like yours. How "tuff" a project will be depends entirely on your skill level and the tools you have.

Here's some general direction. Take a peek in the Conversions & Hybrids Forum here, dig up a few of the LT1 -> LS1 swaps that are posted, and see what you think.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

i just finished up mine it was a pain as sometimes but i love it! if you have any questions feel free to pm me ive been through it all!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your better off just buying an ls1 car.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

you will need a ls1 k member - rack and pinion and mounts
all your lower control arms brakes etc.. fit just fine.
you will need exhaust
you will need a ls1 radiator
your stock lt1 fans will work.
you need ls1 engine harness and computer
you can go two routes get the complete dash harness and swap it out which i think is the best and cleanest or send out the engine harness to be modified. currentperformance.com did mine for 175 which you can beat and it was perfect but id do a complete dash with obd2 and all but besides that u can mess with what ever kind of air box you want, u can bent and cut the heater core lines from the lt1 to work. u need all the acces. like power steering pump and alt from ls1 camaro and if you want a.c. you can use the lt1 condenser and accumulator dryer and lines and bend them to fit and use the ls1 compressor mine works great! and thats about it you will have to shorten the hard plastic fuel lines which you cut the ends off make them the right length and dip them in boiling water and shove the ends back on and when it cools it seals it. and u can use ether a 97 vette fuel rail with the return sytle system or run a01 vette fuel filter where it is used as a return and runs both fuel lines then runs it to single line for later model fuel rails.
but if you have questions just pm me
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Default swap

Its not that tough at all, start reading, studying up and searching for parts and info. Im just finishing my '96. The search function no here is your friend, helped me out quite a bit. Anything I can help ya with, just shoot me a pm
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
your better off just buying an ls1 car.
Yes, yes, yes.

Unless you are doing this as a hobby.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, why buy an LT1 car just to swap it to an LS1? Might as well just get the LS1 car.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

yea i will be way more cost effective to just buy a ls1 car but i love getting, " it looks like a ls1 but sounds like an ls1" haha but yea unless you want to spend extra hrs in the garage than just buy one done, or find a recked car and use that, and while its out do a h/c on it cause if you dont you'll wish you did!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JimSwan
you will need a ls1 k member - rack and pinion and mounts
all your lower control arms brakes etc.. fit just fine.
you will need exhaust
you will need a ls1 radiator
your stock lt1 fans will work.
you need ls1 engine harness and computer
you can go two routes get the complete dash harness and swap it out which i think is the best and cleanest or send out the engine harness to be modified. currentperformance.com did mine for 175 which you can beat and it was perfect but id do a complete dash with obd2 and all but besides that u can mess with what ever kind of air box you want, u can bent and cut the heater core lines from the lt1 to work. u need all the acces. like power steering pump and alt from ls1 camaro and if you want a.c. you can use the lt1 condenser and accumulator dryer and lines and bend them to fit and use the ls1 compressor mine works great! and thats about it you will have to shorten the hard plastic fuel lines which you cut the ends off make them the right length and dip them in boiling water and shove the ends back on and when it cools it seals it. and u can use ether a 97 vette fuel rail with the return sytle system or run a01 vette fuel filter where it is used as a return and runs both fuel lines then runs it to single line for later model fuel rails.
but if you have questions just pm me

You do not HAVE to use an ls1 k-member. Conversion mounts are $45 bucks then you can use your lt1 rack and pinion. You can use the lt1 radiator and just plug off the one hose connection not used on the ls1's. Im running an lt1 radiator.

With any project there is always things that you encounter that are unplanned and unexpected. Its not gonna just all fall in place.

As the other posts stated you will save your self money and headache if you just buy an ls1 car.

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 10-29-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

the motor sits back further with the conversion mounts and its way cleaner with the RIGHT k member plus if you r running big headers like im the intermediate shaft from the steering column to the rack will fit way better. and same with all the power steering lines and what not
Old 10-30-2009, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

im getting ready to jump into this as well. just got my ms3 in.....i got a ls1 k member and motor mounts. bought a 99 fbody harness and pcm....should be interesting
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Default LT1 to LS1 conversion help

Originally Posted by JimSwan
i just finished up mine it was a pain as sometimes but i love it! if you have any questions feel free to pm me ive been through it all!
JimSwan my sister recently donated her 95 z28 m6, and the LT1 is having so many over heating problems and stuff i am sick of it. So i was lookin for another LT1 or maybe LS1 swap. Just so happens in my dads shop he has a LS1 with computer and wire harnesses, A/C, pretty much the whole front end. So i was just looking around for some help on what i need for this swap. Like will the LS1 K-member work on the 95? and could i just bolt the suspension on also? I am new to this forum stuff cause i just recently have been lookin around but any wisdom you have to pass on i will gladly accept lol
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Banned

I loved my LT1 camaro and thought about awapping in a LS1 since i had rims, new paint , just about everything done to the exterior..

But after doing the numbers it realy just didnt make sence..

The amount of work and money your better off just buying a LS1.

BUt either way good luck if you go for it .

Your best bet would be to go to a salvage car auction or find a smashed camaro with a fairly decent shape front end.
Then you really dont ahve to worry about hunting down parts

Quick Reply: 1994 LT1 TO LS1 SWAP please help