What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Rebuilt title?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt title?

Can a person sell a car at full KBB value with a "rebuilt" title? There's a guy selling a low mileage GTO at full book value. I don't think thats right. Please advise.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can if someone will pay that price. My dd is a rebuilt title and at best they are worth half of book value. That is what I understand.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, they can sell it for whatever they want if someone is willing to pay it.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by sslateron
Can a person sell a car at full KBB value with a "rebuilt" title? There's a guy selling a low mileage GTO at full book value. I don't think thats right. Please advise.
Excellent responses above. Salvage or re-built titles bring a car down about 50% at least. The only possible exception would be ultra low miles and NO damage to the engine, tranny, or suspension which usually is not the case with a re-built or salvage title. Even then you can not get full book value because the title is flawed no matter what. That will just reflect the lower price in the future for the new owner.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buyers are usually weery even with lower mileage cars. You just don't know what you are getting. Drivetrain could have been replaced with higher mileage parts.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to keep in mind some "salvage/rebuilt" titles are theft recoveries. Maybe the interior & wheels have been stripped & so forth. No serious damage to vehicle. And keep in mind ANY Vehicle of ANY kind is worth what you can get for it. KBB and such is a suggested price or value. IT IS NOT "The LAW".
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Teching In

i think the guys above put it pretty well. he can list it for $50,000 if he wants. doesn't mean hes going to get someone to buy it at that. its only worth what someone will pay for it. so if he wants too much and wont budge on price, he's gonna have a pretty tough time selling it
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experience with rebuilt salvage title vehicles and I would recommend them if they are redone correctly and were not involved with issues such as frame, engine, or flood damage. I agree with one of the other posters - 50% of the book value is about right. No bank will finance the car and that guy will never find a big enough sucker to pay 100%.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP
I have experience with rebuilt salvage title vehicles and I would recommend them if they are redone correctly and were not involved with issues such as frame, engine, or flood damage. I agree with one of the other posters - 50% of the book value is about right. No bank will finance the car and that guy will never find a big enough sucker to pay 100%.

This guy thinks he's going to get 20k for this GTO come next summer. Good luck with that.

I'd have it fully checked out buy a shop and autobody shop before buying it. Yeah Pontiac has been put out to dry but having one of their cars brought up from the salvage yard is another thing.

Last edited by sslateron; 11-12-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

50% of the blue book value is a little harsh don't u think? yeah if its a flood car or something u can never really fix but most cars arn't. If you were going to just part the car out instead of selling it outright would you ask less for all the parts just because its a salvage title car, although all the parts are fixed now? no

Do they equal book value? not usually, like u guys said depends on the buyer. But to say its only worth 50% of book value... seller bend over with no lube or courtesy of reach around.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt title?