What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

First and Only 1977-79 2-Door LS1 Caprice (Sleeper)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First and Only 1977-79 2-Door LS1 Caprice (Sleeper)

Hello Everyone,

I doubt I could bare to part with Christine (the name of my Caprice). She was the very first car I purchased, and have kept it through 2-dozen other cars I have owned through the years. She has become of me, my life, my family but as you know, you can't really put a price on sentimental feelings.

I first purchased the car with my own money at age 15 from the son of the Original owner. The son inherited it when his father died. I bought it with 99,996 miles on it. By the time I drove it home it had rolled over to all Zero's.

Upon cleaning her when I got her home, I discovered blood in the interior , so I put two and two together and realized that his guys father must have been killed or died in my car. It was at that point I decided to name her Christine after the Stephen King Book/Movie about a 1957 Plymouth Fury that was possessed.

My question is if I let her go to a new loving home, what would she be worth?

As far as I know, Christine is the First and Only 1977-79 2-door Caprice to have a LS1. The swap took place in 2006, so that was almost 4 years ago now. She makes for a great sleeper, always surprising the unsuspecting.

Christine is a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 2-door Coupe (the 1977-79 model years were the only years that offered the "wrap around" back glass, sometimes referred to as "Aero-Coupes"). These are some of the most desirable/collectable Caprice's due to their rarity and there bodylines.

The car was originally special ordered by the original owner and the owners manual bares his name. The new car purchaser ordered the car from the factory as a factory lightweight, no power windows, no power locks, no power seats, no power mirrors, light bench seats ects. Because of this, the car only weighs around as much as a fully loaded LS1 Trans Am.

The car had a 350 V8 backed by a TH350 trans. It ran mid-high 15's and dynoing 150 rwhp (UTI dyno) which wasn't bad considered it was only rated for 170 hp at the crank. After college a 454 Big Block was swapped in and the car dyno'd nearly 500 rwtq. Then a wild 355 from a Sandrail Dragster was dropped in (which ended up leaning out), which lead to its current LS1 set up which dyno'd a best of 323 rwhp on last years tune.

Christine has ran a best of 12.7 @ 104 with 1.7 60' with her stock LS1 and I know it has more in it with some time to dial in the tune. I will include Pictures as well as Video's of the car, but before I do that I will give a quick run down of the car.

- 1978 2-door Caprice
- 1998 T/A LS1 (Stock w/ headman Headers)
- 1978 TH350 (Shift Kit w/ approx 3200 - 3800 stall)
- Auburn Limited Slip with 3:73's
- Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks
- True Dual exhaust with "H pipe" exiting through Flowmaster 40 series (as well as dual QTP electric cut-outs)
- Walbro 255 inline fuel pump
- AutoMeter gauges (Tach, Coolant Temp, Volts, Oil Press, Trans Temp)
- Very Solid Arizona/Kansas car with only mild surface rust that can be easily sanded off, as you can see in the World Of Wheels pictures below)
- Car can come with Brand New unused LS1 Wet Nitrous Kit (not yet installed).

Here are a couple pictures of her from the 2008 Kansas City " World Of Wheels" Car Show

Christine's LS1 engine bay (before having it re-wired)

Here is Christine and her 12.7 1/4 mile pass at KCIR

Here is a short Burnout video of Christine.

Here is me making a 12.8 1/4 pass racing my freinds Twin Turbo 5 Spd Lincoln Mark VII.

Christine pulling tire her first time at the track (last year).

Picture of Christine pulling tire again at the track (this year).

A couple more video's of Christine pulling tire at the track (this year).

YouTube Video Link # 1)

YouTube Video Link # 2)

You can also see a few more pictures of her in my "photoalbum" here in LS1Tech at this link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=11975

I thank you for your time.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

You spent so much time writing this up that you deserve at least one reply even though I have NO idea what a drag or track car is worth. From a collector's point of view (you seem to think it could be worth something there) I can tell you that it has very little value. Non-original, high mileage, tracked cars bring nothing in the collector world unless it is a well documented Corvette or rare Camaro or muscle car from the 60's or early 70's. People don't mind a new LS1 or better engine in a true collector car but yours does not meet that requirement. Your future buyer will be someone looking for just what you have, a track car. Good luck when the time comes to sell.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for you feedback, I really appreciate it. I know its hard to gauge what LS1 swapped cars are worth. I was surprised to see a RX7 with a LS1 going for $30,000 on here when you can buy them in good running condition for lower "teens".

I think my all original, low mileage 1996 Impala SS will go up for sale here shortly and I am keeping Christine.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

An all original low mileage '96 Impala SS is the car to keep. I know you have the emotional ties with Christine but the '96 has real potential one day. It is just now in the bottom end of the sale and price spectrum. I am no expert by any stretch on these Impalas but I believe only about 40,000+ cars were built in '96, which was the last year, and most of those were probably police cars. In other words, long gone to the junkyard. Also, wasn't the '96 the only year with a tachometer? That LT1 engine was very strong. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these details I've brought up but if yours is truly a fine example, a real #2 car, then make sure you get a fair price if you sell. This really isn't the time.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
An all original low mileage '96 Impala SS is the car to keep. I know you have the emotional ties with Christine but the '96 has real potential one day. It is just now in the bottom end of the sale and price spectrum. I am no expert by any stretch on these Impalas but I believe only about 40,000+ cars were built in '96, which was the last year, and most of those were probably police cars. In other words, long gone to the junkyard. Also, wasn't the '96 the only year with a tachometer? That LT1 engine was very strong. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these details I've brought up but if yours is truly a fine example, a real #2 car, then make sure you get a fair price if you sell. This really isn't the time.
You are correct on the "last-year" changes for the 1996 Impala SS. Here is my low mileage, all original SS that I'm thinking about selling.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Very nice! Great color. I love the documentation and window sticker! You have a real tough choice to make. The bad part is that you will really miss the SS after awhile. Any chance you can keep both or put the SS away in storage? I actually miss my '96 Formula (I bought it new) even though I replaced it with my T/A. It's just the nature of things with these cars that we love.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

If u don't have to sell for finacial reasons I would just keep them. Judging by ur post and how much u love christine u will not get what its worth to YOU. Just off the top of my head you could build a caprice like that for under 5k. If u could find a donor in as good of shape as yours.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know what you mean about Christine. You can't really put a price on sentimental feelings.

I will put her away in storage for the winter and may sell/trade my Impala SS instead (Here is the For Sale Thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...impala-ss.html )
Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Great thread. Looks like you had a lot of fun with her. You also have a really nice Impala. I agree with one of the other posts. It is not a good time to sell a car. It is a great time to buy a cars. I have a feeling you will get a lot of money for your Impala in the future. Many generation Xer's have emotional attachments to those Impalas. When they get old and rich, they will seek out a clean Impala SS like yours and pay top dollar.

Keep Christine. You will never forgive yourself if you selling it. 90% of car enthusists have a story about a car they wish they did not sell. You are lucky to be in that 10%.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Thumbs up '78 Caprice 2 door

I am very appreciative of your post. Thank you for sharing. My first car was a light blue Chevy Caprice Landau 2 door. My parents sold it recently to my horror. If you were ever willing to part with this car and I could come up with the money, I would certainly jump at the chance! Thanks for bringing up some great memories! :'(
Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ruralresident
I am very appreciative of your post. Thank you for sharing. My first car was a light blue Chevy Caprice Landau 2 door. My parents sold it recently to my horror. If you were ever willing to part with this car and I could come up with the money, I would certainly jump at the chance! Thanks for bringing up some great memories! :'(
Thank you kindly. After thinking it over for several months, I think I am going to keep Christine, I think I would just miss her too much if I were to sell her, plus at this point I have waaay more money into the car then I could ever get out of it lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KC Henry
Thank you kindly. After thinking it over for several months, I think I am going to keep Christine, I think I would just miss her too much if I were to sell her, plus at this point I have waaay more money into the car then I could ever get out of it lol.
great choice, if you love her, keep her.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow!! This thread is over two years old now. Did you sell your Impala for decent $$ ??
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bonez305
Great choice, if you love her, keep her.
Thank you, and yeah, I think she will be with me for the long haul.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Wow!! This thread is over two years old now. Did you sell your Impala for decent $$ ??
I ended up practically giving away the Impala SS, but it went to a good home. I think we agreed on only $12,000.

Quick Reply: First and Only 1977-79 2-Door LS1 Caprice (Sleeper)