Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What is a Level Line Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is a Level Line Converter?

I am putting in a new head unit, amp and speakers. I am hooking the speakers up to the existing car speaker wires because I don't want to run all new wires. I already installed the front component speakers. However, when I went to replace the speakers in the rear seat area (sail panels?), there are 4 wires per speaker and my new speakers have only 2 wires. My guess is that I need to just pick 2 of the wires (- and +), and make sure when I disconnect the stock amp, I use the same 2 wires I chose to hook up the speakers.

When I hook up my new amp, so that I don't have to run new speaker wires, can I just run the new amp speaker wires to the stock amp and then tap into the speaker wires at the stock amp? The only problem I see with this is with the tweaters. I hear that the front and rear tweaters are powered off of the stock head unit. If that is the case, that would mean that those tweater wires never make it back to the stock amp, so I would need to run new speaker wires from the new amp to the front and rear tweaters .

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by IRVINEWS6; 12-08-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Anybody?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Default The Right Thing

[QUOTE=IRVINEWS6] My guess is that I need to just pick 2 of the wires (- and +), and make sure when I disconnect the stock amp, I use the same 2 wires I chose to hook up the speakers.

When I hook up my new amp, so that I don't have to run new speaker wires, can I just run the new amp speaker wires to the stock amp and then tap into the speaker wires at the stock amp? The only problem I see with this is with the tweaters.
[QUOTE]

Just do it Right Spend the time/money to bypass the stock amp AND wiring. Yes, it takes a lot more time. You will be glad in the long run that the BETTER wires are in the car.

-V-
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll be a lot easier to run new wires. Less headaches in the end.

Hey V, when you find that setup let me know.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep Your Right Just Pull The Head And The Monsoon Amp And All The Conned Spkrs Then Put In The Deck Which Will Power The Tweeters Just Fine And Then Run Rca For Your New Amp Signal Imput Go Ahead And Use The Stock Wireing Its Just Like You Thought The Sail Panel Spkrs Are Dvc So Just Select 2 Wires And Use Em For The Rest Of The Spkrs Its Straight Forward No Offence Guys But The Factory Wireing Is Asome Stuff Which Will Outlast You And Most Other Wires As Long As Your Not Using It For The Imput Wires Cause Its Not Well Sheilded But It Canhandle A F*ck Load Of Power Cause Its So Dense... Dont Buy In To What The Ales Guys Bs You I Know Cause I Used The Same Bs Pitch When I Did Car Audio Sales You Will Be Fine With Stock Wires Just Make Sure You Hook It All Up Right You Can Find An Excellent Pinout Of It All On The Net That Will Make Hardwireing The Monsoon Harness Alot Eaiser But Be Prepaired To Be Sitting In Your Hatch For A Good While What I Did Which Works Great Is Used One Rf 550x To Power All Six Coaxials Just 4 Ohm X 2 Up Front And 2ohn X 2 In Back For The Sails And The Rears It Was Pleant For My Rf Finatic Coaxials And Just Used Electricolitic Copastors Or Bass Caps In Line On The 3 Rear Spkr Wires To Provide A Higher Crossover Point For Those Spkrs While Allowing The Amps Bulit In Crossover Do The Corssing Over For The 6 " Spkrs The Only Road Block I Ran Into Was When Running The Rca's Even Great Ones You Might Have To Shuffle Them Arround As So Not Be Picking Up Wine From The Fuel Pump I Eventually Just Ran Em Down He Center Of The Car Which Was Real Easy Since The Seats Come Out So Quickly In These Cars If You Need Anymor Ehelp Let Me Know Jpr56902aol.com Ifs Pritty Straight Forward If You Have A Pin Out Of The Monsoon Amp To Work Off Of..... Keep In Mind You Will You Will Need The Pac Kit To Get Your Steerring Wheel Buttons Wotking Gain And I Greatly Reccomend Buying A Harness Not Only Beacouse It Keeps You Form Having To Having To Chop Up Your Wires But Even More Worth It Is It Allows You To Do The Work In Side On The Couch Comfortable And Then Just Plug It In ...minimising The In Car Time You Have To Spend And Its Much More Reversable Since If You F*ck Up Or Wanna Go Back To Stock All Youhave O Do Is Unhook The Harness You Used Form The Factory One And Volla! Your Back To Stock No Hardwireing Needed I Had To Hardwire The Back But I After I Found That There Is A Harness For That Too Which Would Have Been Much Easier Than What I Did Which Was Fabricated My Own Harness Then Hardwired It All In When I Was Aout Done Which You Will Also Need Ot Do Cause The Wires Wont Strech So I Reccomend Makeing One Of Those Too Inside And Getting It All Taped Up And Ziped Tied All Neatly Then Just Hardwireing It In Then All You Have To Do Is Plug It Into The Amp Makes Life Alot Easier Than Sitting In Your Car Forever Like I Origanally Did Before I Got Pissed And Did It Right.........o Yea You Can Use The Amps Stock Ground Or Power Wire Their Not Ment For That Much Current. And Its Real Quick To Run A New Power An Ground Its Easy To Get Thru Fire Wall Just Un Plug Pcm And Its Right There But To Re Cap Using Stock Wires For The Spke Wires For Youe Coaxials Is A Great Idea And Worked Asomefor My System Which No One In The World Could Honestly Say Is Ot Asome
Old 12-13-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Dam I Should Get Like Triple Points For That Post!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

O To Answer Your Topic Question A High Imput Converter Turns Spkr Levle Signal To Rca Signal And Is Used In Applications Where Your Source Unit Dont Have Rca Outs On It But Your Amp Only Accepts Rcas It Works Ok For Small Systems But I Really Wouldent Use It For Highs If You Like Crisp Clean Quality Cause It Wont Be The Same As Rca's Quality