Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Pan

I'm running a 4L60E with a 4000 converter. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best deep oil pan out there. I know that the extra quarts of oil are a plus but are there any pans that will dissapate heat better than the rest? A buddy of mine is running a finned Trickflow but I wanted to see what you guys think. I'll be bumping up the TNT to a 150 shot so I don't need to be bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...20378000&dds=1

Seems like a good one.

TCI cast aluminum pan, Designed with cooling fins to dissipate heat faster, these pans also provide additional strength and rigidity to the transmission case and hold two quarts' more fluid than the stock pan. No modifications are necessary to the dipstick, and the pan includes a drain plug, pan gasket, and new rail bolts and washers.

I looked at a few others, but TCI is a good company I believe.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

I used a B&M pan on my tranny for 24k miles after my converter install and I liked it. Only minor problem I had with it is that it hung down as low or even a touch lower than my Hooker Long Tubes and Yipe. Never really caught it on anything besides road kill and having the extra 3 quarts of fluid and the cooling fins really helped to keep things cooler I believe. I got mine from Thunder Racing http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=183

As for bouncing off the rev limiter, that is something you'll have to play with in your tune. The pan has nothing to do with shift points Have fun!

Kris
Old 10-31-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The TCI and B+M pans are nice. Beware of ground clearance issues though.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -1SLOWSS
I used a B&M pan on my tranny for 24k miles after my converter install and I liked it. Only minor problem I had with it is that it hung down as low or even a touch lower than my Hooker Long Tubes and Yipe. Never really caught it on anything besides road kill and having the extra 3 quarts of fluid and the cooling fins really helped to keep things cooler I believe. I got mine from Thunder Racing http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=183

As for bouncing off the rev limiter, that is something you'll have to play with in your tune. The pan has nothing to do with shift points Have fun!

Kris
I'm worried about the rev because I've had several friends that kept hitting the limiter with a decent sized stall. It was suggested that they get a deeper pan to ensure the tranny had enough fluid at WOT and it worked!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the issues with hitting the rev limiter are caused by the amount of oil a pan can hold. I think tuning is more of an issue. We use either the TCI or factory truck pan for added fluid here. I think the added oil will help with cooling. Good luck. Vince
Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BirdofPreyBandit
I'm worried about the rev because I've had several friends that kept hitting the limiter with a decent sized stall. It was suggested that they get a deeper pan to ensure the tranny had enough fluid at WOT and it worked!
News to me but anything is possible. After my 3500 install I had problems hitting the rev limiter. Ended up slowly dropping the shift rpm down to 5800 and that kept it off the 6400 limiter.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

I don't know the inner workings of a transmission but there was one buddy running high 10's with his 4L60 but kept hitting the limiter. After tuning the hell out of the car and its shiftpoints, our mechanic decided to try a deeper pan and voila! No more limiter and he dropped into the mid-10's and hasn't looked back since. I've been thinking about going with a truck pan but was wondering if a pan with fins actually helps cool the oil better.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know how much in inches is added to the lowest point on the pan?