Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Denting the downpipe..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denting the downpipe..

So I have an ebay kit, im trying to get the downpipe as far away from the boot on the driver side steering rack. As it sits now my turbo header presses down on the DP and also slides it back. Would it be ok to dent the DP where this header presses down on it, that way I can slide it out another 1/2-3/4"? It wont be a massive dent, maybe 1/4" deep and 2" across
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a modest dent won't make a noticeable difference. Try to mark it accurately then take it out, use the pointy side of a piece of angle iron on the marked area and strike it with a small sledge. Or if you need a round dent use a piece of pipe. It's best to put your main pipe on a bag of cement or sand so you don't squish the whole thing while you are hitting it. Start slow and test fit it as you go until it is right. Make sure you take any movement of the engine when it's revving into account.

Oh, and you could consider trying to ovalize the pipe just in that area - I've had good luck doing that with a huge set of sliphead pliers, just flatten it out a bit in the area needed. Another option.

Jim
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I just got done denting the DP as well as the collector a bit, looks like it should work now.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

How're ya making out, man?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you having any problems Nighthawk? I am about to start installing mine next weekend. Just need some things to get here.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

I think I may need to do a little more denting. It now clears the boot but im still worried about the heat. I think ceramic coating plus wrap should keep it less than 400 degrees, so Im not worried about melting it.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Are you having any problems Nighthawk? I am about to start installing mine next weekend. Just need some things to get here.
So far I've just mocked up the headers and taken them back off. I'm about to drop the K to pull the oil pan and swap the motor mounts for the solids. Removal has been a BITCH so far though

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I think I may need to do a little more denting. It now clears the boot but im still worried about the heat. I think ceramic coating plus wrap should keep it less than 400 degrees, so Im not worried about melting it.
I heard somewhere that wrapping over cermaic coating was a no no...that it hurt the ceramic or something? Maybe someone can clarify if this is true or not?? Did you already send your pipes out to get coated?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

could always put some header wrap around the boot. WS6Hummer's build is similar, very close to the boot, he didnt wrap or coat that i know of and hasent had any problems. truck/c6 setup with AC, so his DP is on the driverside.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightHawk

I heard somewhere that wrapping over cermaic coating was a no no...that it hurt the ceramic or something? Maybe someone can clarify if this is true or not?? Did you already send your pipes out to get coated?
It is a no no because it traps water and when the heat expands the pipe the wrap on the outside holds heat in and causes it flake off and what not. I havent got them coated yet because im waiting to make sure everything is mocked up and good to go.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
could always put some header wrap around the boot. WS6Hummer's build is similar, very close to the boot, he didnt wrap or coat that i know of and hasent had any problems. truck/c6 setup with AC, so his DP is on the driverside.
the boot moves in and out when you turn so i dont know how well that will stay.

Quick Reply: Denting the downpipe..