Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bouncing in rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bouncing in rear

I just replaced my rear bilstein shocks w/ a new pair of competition engineering adj. shocks in the rear. I set them to 70/30 and now the rear is bouncing like crazy. When I got them at home I noticed that you can compress the shock and it dosn't go back up by themselfs like the bilstein's. Are these broke or are they like that? should I keep these and just set them to 50/50 or should I throw the bilsteins back on and save up for some qa1?

sorry mods made this in to sections, plz feel free to delete the other one. thx
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to set them to the 50/50 setting. Since they are new i would try using them instead of buying anything else. If this doesn't fix your problems and you would like to change your shocks to another brand please let me know. We have very competitive prices.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Your situation is, unfortunately, not surprising.

First, the reason they don't extent on their own is because they are pure hydraulic shocks, not gas charged... and QA1's are the same way. It's normal, though not ideal because the gas keeps the shock from fading with heat.

Second, the reason it's bouncing is a lack of rebound damping because they are drag shocks, not meant for control. 50/50 setting would help, but they will never be as good as your Bilstein's, let alone anything better.

Frankly if you want adjustable shocks and can't pony up for Koni's, then I'd suggest KYB AGX's. At least they are gas charged and have some decent control characteristics. But in the meantime, put your Bilstein's back on.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for the impute. I fixed the problem. I forgot to put the shim on top to the bushing on the shock and it went right thru the car. So basicly the shocks were only connected to the bottom of the car not the top. I also set it to 50/50. These actully dont feel that bad. My Bilstein's felt more comfy for the roads and long trips and all but I can sacrifice some of that for a near same feeling w/ better traction when my car isn't even a DD.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad it's better...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: bouncing in rear