Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My rear lower control arm unbolted its self

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rear lower control arm unbolted its self

This actually happened a while ago, but anyway I was driving down the highway probably 60 mph and all of a sudden I heard a weird noise under the car and the car started skating around like I had a flat tire or something. I pulled over to find that the bolt that holds my drivers side rear lower control arm (the one closest to the rear of the car) had completely fallen out so the control arm was just dragging on the ground unbolted from the rear.

It was a cheap and easy fix, I just bought a new grade 8 bolt to replace it and it only took a few minutes.

Anyway I guess I just was wondering if this is a common thing to happen or what? I don't know if the bolt sheered or came out, it was completely gone. It was a 7/16'' x 4'' bolt with a lock nut, I think the control arms are bmr tubulars (previous owner installed). I had driven the car for months without touching them when it happened. I guess I'm just wondering if this is something I should check periodically, or I should chalk it up to a bad install. Perhaps there is another underlying issue that might cause this to happen or something? I haven't had a problem since and I'm not too worried about it, just curious.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely bolt broke off.its good to get underneath once in awhile and check your suspension and everthing else under there.

Quick Reply: My rear lower control arm unbolted its self