Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking pushrod lenght

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking pushrod lenght

Have rebuilt my LS1, changed cam and milled heads (.014), have now used pushrod checked (torqued rocker, on the cam base circle and just snugged the checker screw) to get new lenght measurement. Now I 'm wondering how much to add to this measurement to get the proper lifter preload.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Add .020 to the length just remember that pushrods come in lengths of .050 so get the ones over your measurement and you will be fine. Also make sure you check intake and exhaust.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have the time, check em all. is this for a street motor or track only?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

this is the method I recently used. Its quiet as a mouse. CajunSS is co-owner of Thunder Racing

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
FWIW, EVERY cam install I have done using the LS7 lifter with a cam with greater than .600" lift (read smaller base circle) AND stock heads w/GM MLS gaskets has taken 7.425" pushrods for ~.050"-.060" preload. We measure lifter preload on each and every cam install we do. I have never had a lifter failure nor do we end up with the dreaded "sewing machine" noise.

Its very simple, If you change ANY of the following:
valve sizes, valve job, head milling, thinner/thicker head gaskets, decked block, cam with an altered base circle, etc... YOU MUST CHECK FOR PROPER PUSHROD LENGTH.

I have helped countless numbers of individuals with this process over the phone, via email, and PM's. I've posted the process on at least 3 occasions.

Here it is again in a nutshell:

1. Using the EO/IC method, get the lifter to the base circle of the cam.
2. Using a known length pushrod (7.400" is a good start with stock rockers) run the rocker arm bolt down to zero lash. This is easily done with your fingers "wiggling" the rocker, the point at which the "slack" is just gone is zero lash.
3. Set your torque wrench to 22 lb./ft. Tighten the rocker to full torque and count the number of turns it takes to get there. 1 full turn wtih a stock 8mm X 1.25 bolt is ~.047" preload as measured at the pushrod/rocker interface.
4. I normally shoot for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns with stock type lifters like Comp 850's, LS1, LS7 etc.

For an example, if you use a 7.400" pushrod and come up with 3/4 of a turn, you will need at least .025" longer pushrod to get into range. If you end up with 2 1/4 turns, you will need one .025" shorter...

I might not know everything but I will tell you that this method has worked for me year after year cam swap after cam swap. We average 3 cam swaps a week here so you can do the math.

If you are not familiar with the EO/IC method for determining valve events in a 4 stroke engine, its very simple:
For a given cylinder as the Exhaust valve is Opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the cam and lash/preload should be checked for that intake valve.
For a given cylinder as the Intake valve is Closing, the exhaust lifter will be on the base circle of the cam and lash/preload should be checked for that exhaust valve.

THIS METHOD ALWAYS WORKS!!!

I hope this helps someone. I have explained it so many times I think I do it in my sleep!!!

Shane
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
this is the method I recently used. Its quiet as a mouse. CajunSS is co-owner of Thunder Racing
great i will save this link so i can use it when installing my rockers thanks man
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

XtraCajunSS explained it about as well as it can be explained. Gengines, do you get ever get exessive noise with only .020" preload? Doesn't seem like enough to me. Later,Dean.

edit. G Engines I reread your post. I see you were not talking about only .020" of preload. But the NEXT longer length pushrod. This should be close also. Sorry about that, didn't want anyone to think you didn't know what you were doing. Dean.

Last edited by DeanJ; 11-01-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Engines
Add .020 to the length just remember that pushrods come in lengths of .050 so get the ones over your measurement and you will be fine. Also make sure you check intake and exhaust.
I would check intake and exhaust on BOTH heads. Dean

edit: hijack, G Engines I see you live in Greensboro,NC. Ever get over to Piedmont Dragway. I am co owner of a '63 corvette we run in the Renegade class. 1 nos kit only, 2480 lbs 632" powerglide. best et 4.39@ 159, 1.00 60'

Last edited by DeanJ; 11-01-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Morel lifters and the Cts V lifters call for .020 and if you go with the next length pushrod it usually has more like .030 to .040 preload so with that preload they don't make noise. Some of the Cts V lifters bleed off during deceleration and make a small amount of noise gm claimed this is supposed to help and is normal I question this but a lot of engines run them with out problems.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G Engines
Morel lifters and the Cts V lifters call for .020 and if you go with the next length pushrod it usually has more like .030 to .040 preload so with that preload they don't make noise. Some of the Cts V lifters bleed off during deceleration and make a small amount of noise gm claimed this is supposed to help and is normal I question this but a lot of engines run them with out problems.
I talked to Rick Morel a couple of years ago and he advised me to use 0.030" - 0.050" with their lifters and an aluminum block/head motor (note that John Callies had the same recommendation). Currently running the higher end of that range and many of the startup noise issues attributed to Morels with the lower end of that range are now gone. Offshore guys are running them deeper as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I talked to Rick Morel a couple of years ago and he advised me to use 0.030" - 0.050" with their lifters and an aluminum block/head motor (note that John Callies had the same recommendation). Currently running the higher end of that range and many of the startup noise issues attributed to Morels with the lower end of that range are now gone. Offshore guys are running them deeper as well.
The new design morel calls for .020 but your correct if you plunge them a little more it will help them to stay quite during startup.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:20 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cajun has always said it best. An adjustable pushrod from Comp, and that method will get it perfect almost every time.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

IMO an adjustable pushrod is a band aid
Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I also noticed, my new LS7 lifters soaked in oil a week. I did it the way shane said and I could feel the lifter being spongy, allowing the preload. They then sat for a week in the motor before I finished assembly. By then they had no spongy feeling, they were hard as a rock.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I am not sure how 1 turn of the bolt can be 0.047" of preload at the pushrod cup since one turn of the bolt is 0.049" and the pushrod cup will move more then the bolt. If you want it accurate, use a dial indicator to measure preload with a known length pushrod or use an adjustable pushrod to measure length at zero lash and add the preload to the measured number.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could do what I've done and measure it yourself with a dial indicator. With the compound angles and rocker ratios not to metion slack in the rocker body, unless you are using trig to figure this out, you'll never get a good answer. Just buy a dial indicator and try it. I promise you, Jason99T/A and I performed the actual measurment years ago in my engine room. We did it to save us a lot of time and effort with length checkers. If you don't believe it, take the measurement yourself...

Shane Burgess
Co-Owner, VP Operations
Thunder Performance Group, Inc.
d/b/a Thunder Racing
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

But this is for using stock rockers-right? Aftermarket if he would to use any he would have to use a different method.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily. The only times this exact method will not work is when using a shaft mount rocker with the pushrod cup adjuster. I have used the same method with Yella-Terra's, Comp Pro Magnums, and Harland Sharp. The differences between them is negligable and not worth considering on a stock type lifter. Even 1.8 ratio rockers work fine. The only time you really need to worry is if you are using a cheater hydraulic such as a Comp-R or Shubeck. These lifters run almost no preload, about .002"-.003" MAX. You must directly verify preload with a dial indicator when using these lifters. That being said, the EO/IC method works for ALL 4 stroke engines and should be used for both solid and hydraulic lifters to set lash/preload.

Shane
Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure I would use the EO/IC method with Yella Terra's. That would have you tightening only one rocker on a pair. YT has a warning about doing this, unless I misunderstand what is being done.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure I would use the EO/IC method with Yella Terra's. That would have you tightening only one rocker on a pair. YT has a warning about doing this, unless I misunderstand what is being done.
I don't know why you don't believe Shane, the procedure he uses works great. I checked mine with a pushrod checker (sucks getting your figures in there to turn it accurately) and then I used his method and came up with 7.370 for mine.

This is from Yella Terras Site by the way.

Do roller rockers need special push rods?

Usually no, with the exceptions being:

1. When screw-in studs and hardened guide plates are to be fitted (on engines not fitted with them originally). These need hardened pushrods.
2. When extremely heavy valve springs are fitted a more robust push rod than standard may be required.

What tappet settings do I use when fitting roller rockers?

Whether using Roller Rockers or standard rockers, the tappet settings remain the same as specified for your camshaft.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pushrods

Originally Posted by deelli
Have rebuilt my LS1, changed cam and milled heads (.014), have now used pushrod checked (torqued rocker, on the cam base circle and just snugged the checker screw) to get new lenght measurement. Now I 'm wondering how much to add to this measurement to get the proper lifter preload.
Thanks for all the responses. My setup is LS7 lifters, TSP Torquer v.2 232/234 .595/.598 112 cam, 799 heads milled 0.015, stock rockers, GM head gaskets. I've gone and made measurements and with pushrod checker I get 7.280, I've also used the torqueing method and I get about ~1 5/8 turn before reaching 22lbs torque using a 7.4 pushrod. Now if I'm understanding correctly using the torque method the 7.4's are ok? (1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns) and with the checker looking for a pushrod between .050 to .080 preload would mean I need a 7.350 pushrod. I'm not clear as to what to do right now.

Last edited by deelli; 11-02-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Checking pushrod lenght